10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Actually the HH and the TH don't have everywhere the same price as in Canada/U.S. For example both houses have the same price of 179,99 Euro i Germany.

Interesting. I think that just makes the case for the HH even stronger then if the TH has little to no price advantage over it in Europe. Can't likely go wrong with either set though, from the way things look as of today.

I was hoping to grab 2 more on payday. Ah well.

I'm in that boat...was on the fence and waiting for next Friday. I'm still not 100% sure this won't pop back up at times, and with some deliveries to US B&M retailers it is possible some up here might get a few more in stock. Now that Wal-mart and Mastermind are carrying exclusives, it at least gives us more options for it to show up. If not, no panic, plenty of other sets to diversify in!

• Like 1

received 4 out of 5 i ordered at target last week. arrived in somewhat heavier boxes with shipping tape properly applied and airpacks in voids. almost all minty, one with slightly dented corner. they were shipped 2 to a box and NOT in the original shippers.

Edited by jerryherb

Holy crap. More then 80 in stock this morning at collishop and all gone! Wtf

Maybe they returned their dusting stock to lego at their demand so they can fulfil their Shop-at-**** backorders.

I saw the same here.

Yesterday the stock I'm looking at suddenly dropped from 43 items to 28. And this is a RRP price, not a deal.

44 for days, then I ordered 1, so 43 in stock for days... and 28 in a heartbeat. Today they have 26 in stock.

I think they have returned 6 or 7 boxes of TH (if paired, that mean 12 or 14 sets) to lego.

Maybe they returned their dusting stock to lego at their demand so they can fulfil their Shop-at-**** backorders.

I saw the same here.

Yesterday the stock I'm looking at suddenly dropped from 43 items to 28. And this is a RRP price, not a deal.

44 for days, then I ordered 1, so 43 in stock for days... and 28 in a heartbeat. Today they have 26 in stock.

I think they have returned 6 or 7 boxes of TH (if paired, that mean 12 or 14 sets) to lego.

Got a point there Biniou, that is a possibility.. Of course it is a possibility that there was a high-volume reseller that suddenly bought 30 or more of them the same time, but I've been watching cs for a long time and haven't seen that happen before. The promo was already running for a week now and still a small week to go so it all seems very weird. Let us hope that your explination is the correct one. Then it's all good for me. I bought 9 in total now for the very mild price.

As for which sets will perform better, I still have my money on Haunted House. It has a much larger target audience because of the 'cool-factor'. But TH will perform well too, followed by GE, which will run about a year behind.

It's also surprising that certain investors that have been here long time have even been surprised by the rapid  disapearing of TH. It shows that one must not depend too much on numbers and history of previous similar sets...the game seems to change continuesly. (of course this only is if TH is actually oos and up for retirement and no new batches being tossed on the market)

FWIW I called LEGO Shop at Home ES a few minutes ago and was told that the TH had a 'Coming Soon' status, which they translated into 'it should come back and be available until end of 2014', altough they did not say a specific date.

GE did not have this status.

This should go into the 'What I heard from a Lego employee today' thread, but opted to post it here.

• Like 1

(thanks M4x18)

I was thinking of something: the best ad for the TH will always be the back of the PC and the PR boxes (the TH is displayed along with them), sets which will be on sale for a while.

The TH will certainly be a set to hold for quite a long time (3 years and more).

Let's just hope it'll retire for good very soon (and the HH too...)

I have a problem with the validity of the popular theory in this forum saying: "Set A (Town Hall) will do better post-retirement because it was sold less than Set B (Grand Emporium) while they where available regularly". Please remember that the Town Hall might have been retired because sales were quite disappointing compared to other modulars. So, why do people here think the TH will outperform the GE in the aftermarket - BECAUSE TH was a slow seller? I do get the idea that less hoarded sets do better - in principle - than more hoarded sets, but in my opinion this applies first an foremost to EQUALLY ATTRACTIVE sets. If the TH is so much less desired than GE, why should people suddenly want to have it MORE than GE once both are gone? If buyers found TH "ugly" before they will not find it "beautiful" afterwards - whereas GE was a nice model and stays a nice model.

I mean, look at UCS B-Wing as a comparison to TH. UCS B-Wing also sold badly and was removed from shelves much sooner than expected, meaning it was less hoarded. Still few people thought it would be a winner because of its short shelf live - but why do people think exactly this about TH?

I have a problem with the validity of the popular theory in this forum saying: "Set A (Town Hall) will do better post-retirement because it was sold less than Set B (Grand Emporium) while they where available regularly". Please remember that the Town Hall might have been retired because sales were quite disappointing compared to other modulars. So, why do people here think the TH will outperform the GE in the aftermarket - BECAUSE TH was a slow seller? I do get the idea that less hoarded sets do better - in principle - than more hoarded sets, but in my opinion this applies first an foremost to EQUALLY ATTRACTIVE sets. If the TH is so much less desired than GE, why should people suddenly want to have it MORE than GE once both are gone? If buyers found TH "ugly" before they will not find it "beautiful" afterwards - whereas GE was a nice model and stays a nice model.

I mean, look at UCS B-Wing as a comparison to TH. UCS B-Wing also sold badly and was removed from shelves much sooner than expected, meaning it was less hoarded. Still few people thought it would be a winner because of its short shelf live - but why do people think exactly this about TH?

Because the following is almost a norm when it comes to investing in Lego: once it's gone, people will want it.

Edited by M4x18

Well.. Cafe Corner was also regarded ugly, but in the end collectors do want the complete modular line. What is a (modular) city without a TH? Think it will be a very desirable set in the future. Think people don't have this feeling with UCS models, that they want to collect them all. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

Well.. Cafe Corner was also regarded ugly, but in the end collectors do want the complete modular line. What is a (modular) city without a TH? Think it will be a very desirable set in the future. Think people don't have this feeling with UCS models, that they want to collect them all. But that's just my opinion.

And thats the pointbl to complete the series - maybe a lot of people waited cauz the th is more expensive as other modulars ;)