10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

Guest TabbyBoy

OOS in both the UK and US LEGO Shop at Home stores at the moment, hope it does come back

Hmmm.... so John Lewis will be next best bet then?  I have my fill of these but, nice if other BP members don't miss out.  I think there'll be online carnage once the end is nigh for this set.  Good it be another 10187, who knows?

For all we know, LEGO can retire this at any time with no notice.

EDIT... John Lewis >10 in stock right now.

Edited by TabbyBoy

I passed on these at 20% off and I would not buy any more at retail price either - I think the market is saturated, production has gone on too long and money is better invested elsewhere. If it had retired a year ago things would have been so different.....

• Like 2

I passed on these at 20% off and I would not buy any more at retail price either - I think the market is saturated, production has gone on too long and money is better invested elsewhere. If it had retired a year ago things would have been so different.....

I agree it would have nice if it had retired sooner, but it's still selling regularly on ebay EU at RRP or higher.

Its a set, that trades at, or around 10% above RRP. And that's when it's "widely" available. I cannot believe it will go down when it goes EOL.

No doubt in my mind it will do good. But if someone thinks it will do as good as the Beetle I think that is wishful thinking.

IMO...

The beetle is not a breathtaking set... choppy-looking. Certainly cool, and very unique, and very iconic. But sort of "clunky". Yet it continues to increase in value. It is a VW, after all. Its value will increase on that factor alone.

The van is a true head-turner. If you've seen one built, the display factor is through the roof. This set doesn't get just the iconic draw of being a VW, but also the draw of looking unbelievably cool when assembled. Much more so- again IMO- than the Beetle.

My personal investment strategy is long-term holding of sets that will not go "out of date". Whenever the van actually does go, I can't think of a currently available set that is a safer play for the long-term hold. I mean, very long-term hold, When the hype is long over, when other fellow sellers have unloaded their inventory, this set will be extremely valuable.

We have all hoarded it well, and it has sold phenomenally. But in the distant future there will be a time when the hoarded quantities have been (mostly) sold off and are long gone. When this set does become TRULY scarce- which, again,  will take a very long time- the value will explode.

My personal goal is to acquire my targeted number of the van, then simply "forget" I have them. My inventory is shelved in a storage unit. My VW van acquisitions are at the very back to remind me of this.

• Like 3

I wouldn't hold on for a discount; folks are glad to pay full-price for this.

And it is like the DS- as committed as TLG is to create new, unique, and diversified sets, they also have a business to run. That is why sets like DS, R2, and this one can stick around for ages, and slower selling sets like the TH can retire "out of line".

Picked up my 3rd one of these today at the Milton Keynes store, about 6 on the shelf. This arguably belongs in the 'What I heard from a Lego employee thread'.

I asked if this was near retirement, the young man said yes, by this time next year it should be gone. So we may have some time.... or not. I don;t read much into it. Although the TB and SOH have run side by side for over a year now.