10937 - Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

StarCityBrickCompany

The Fatman no longer walks alone.  Batman has joined him.  Who will join them?

Why so hateful?  I'm sure R2 prefers to be called "stocky", "robust", or even "thick". ;)

Technically he doesn't even walk. (granted, 85 people and their future grandchildren freaked out when you "rolled" him into the sunset a month or so ago)

Nevermind that he keeps popping up like a Jawa in the canyons, just long enough to glimpse but not quite capture...

On topic, I agree that AA was an EASY pick for EOL and I think there are still a couple sleepers left that are sailing under the radar while so much focus is on the obvious / popular sets. At any rate, in the immortal words of The Doors, "The time to hesitate is through."

• Like 2

There was a memo that chaos is coming. AA reappearing on a permanent basis does not sound like chaos

I fail to comprehend the intended meaning of "permanent" here, but to me, that sounds exactly like chaos.

Some exclusives selling out for substantial periods of time, then coming back for a while, constantly shifting back and forth for an extra year or two, yanking the reseller puppet strings like the Sun Tsu of Brickworld?  Yeah that would impress me. Too bad we just aren't that important, however.

Unpredictability is chaos, unless you are the Man with the Plan.

Why so hateful?  I'm sure R2 prefers to be called "stocky", "robust", or even "thick". ;)

Technically he doesn't even walk. (granted, 85 people and their future grandchildren freaked out when you "rolled" him into the sunset a month or so ago)

Nevermind that he keeps popping up like a Jawa in the canyons, just long enough to glimpse but not quite capture...

On topic, I agree that AA was an EASY pick for EOL and I think there are still a couple sleepers left that are sailing under the radar while so much focus is on the obvious / popular sets. At any rate, in the immortal words of The Doors, "The time to hesitate is through."

Not the Fatman I was referring to, but the Shortman is along for the stroll as well.

Wow, one shows sold for $451 on ebay.

No that is the price the seller has bumped up to with no sales at that price. Last sale was $162 for this seller.

This set will be a slow climber IMO. I think it will take 3 years or more to get to $400. The lack of exclusive minifgs to this set, poor set design (relatively unchanged from the MOC it was based on), lack of interest in Europe, and the now perpetual DC license will hurt 10937. This is not a special set like the Tumbler. Just my opinion. Hopefully I am wrong and once the masses figure out it is EOL then prices will rise quickly.

No that is the price the seller has bumped up to with no sales at that price. Last sale was $162 for this seller.

This set will be a slow climber IMO. I think it will take 3 years or more to get to $400. The lack of exclusive minifgs to this set, poor set design (relatively unchanged from the MOC it was based on), lack of interest in Europe, and the now perpetual DC license will hurt 10937. This is not a special set like the Tumbler. Just my opinion. Hopefully I am wrong and once the masses figure out it is EOL then prices will rise quickly.

Harleen Quinzel and Joker are exclusive to this set.  Also, the last time Scarecrow was in a set was back in 2007.  The build is actually very fun, lots of neat little details.  I don't think it will shoot up like the HH did right after retirement, but it will climb at a pretty steady clip.

All the minifigs in this set can be had (in one form or another) in other sets since 2012 except Scarecrow (sorta popular character).

To me Scarecrow is the key one in this set along followed by the non-costumed Quinn.

Then take the set itself. Not only is it an awesome design but it can be pretty easily customize to be larger (which AFOLs like for even more secondary market sales).

These reasons are why I have been slowly buying these since April 2013).

If this set is truly "done" only after 2 years of retail, "wow"! It will skyrocket (aka the "initial pop") in value probably higher (%) than recent sets like the Haunted House and Town Hall. Even 2nd and 3rd year (after retirement) % gains are probably going to be higher than other retired sets' 1st year gains.

...just my 2 cents :)

Another thing to consider is that small and mid-sized investors must be stretched pretty thin at the moment. Tons of retiring sets and predictions of chaos, coupled with limited capital and space (small and mid-sized investors only) means it is tough to buy 10 or even 5 of every big set that is perhaps on the chopping block. I consider myself a solid mid-sized investor with a good amount of stock (and selling well this holiday season) and I am creatively trying to find space and funds to stock up. If this were out another year, I'd probably be able to get 5 or 6 more...and I'm sure plenty of people are in the same boat.

Too much chaos!  Not enough space/time/$$

That being said I'm grabbing two more AAs from TRU.ca with 20X airlmiles...if it comes back I can always return it. If it doesn't, I'll probably be quite happy with myself.

• Like 2

If this set is truly "done" only after 2 years of retail, "wow"! It will skyrocket (aka the "initial pop") in value probably higher (%) than recent sets like the Haunted House and Town Hall. Even 2nd and 3rd year (after retirement) % gains are probably going to be higher than other retired sets' 1st year gains.

I hope it does :)  I didn't get as many HH's as I would have liked so I made up for it recently by buying more Arkhams.  I feel like people aren't as into this set as they are the haunted house, so that's my reasoning for HH having a bigger initial pop than this set.  But then again a lot of people probably got caught off guard and didn't hoard this one as much, so who knows lol.

Looks like Lego is moving towards a 2 year lifecycle for exclusives.

Better than HH or TH? I'd be amazed if that turns out to be the case.

The TH is already hitting 2xRRP shipped here in EU.

Edited by tractorboy

Yes, for at least initially. Batman has a huge global following. Maybe even comparable to Star Wars and Disney stuff.

Not so much in Europe.

Then there's the next round of Batman movies coming next year. Who knows what effect that will have on AA? Many people might just want the sets from the new movies.

I really can't see it hitting 2xRRP after a couple of months being sold out, like the TH has. Not in Europe anyway.

The Fatman is TH if I recall correctly.

Not the Fatman I was referring to, but the Shortman is along for the stroll as well.

The Fatman is TH if I recall correctly.

Yeah..., sorry my humor doesn't translate at times :P

When a set from Lego.com goes from "Available" straight to "Sold Out" in a matter of hours, It tells you the magnitude of a set. 

I was thinking it tells more about the stock levels and production intent than "magnitude".

Plus, a few small stars did align for AA to get gobbled this past week. Not a bit surprised, personally.

Guest TabbyBoy

Since this is only a facade and not a fully enclosed building, I'm steering clear as I think modulars offer much better value.  Apart from the minifigs, I don't really like it and don't want to be lumbered with it if performance is disappointing.

BA your request was completed.  You got the cryptic message you were looking for LOL

And a multi part question in the works.

Q: What name references were made to one sets imminent retirement?

A: One Eyed Midget rolling into the sunset & Shortman is along for the stroll as well

That's trivia gold right there!

Since this is only a facade and not a fully enclosed building, I'm steering clear as I think modulars offer much better value.  Apart from the minifigs, I don't really like it and don't want to be lumbered with it if performance is disappointing.

This was my thinking too. It's the same price as the PS on my LEGO Shop at Home, which I felt was a safer bet.

I might have picked up a couple at the 20% discount the UK had, but we didn't get that here.