Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm now back selling Lego on eBay and I've excluded about 12 countries due to a disproportionate amount of timewasters, Russia being the first!  If I get a sale from a zero feedback buyer, I will thank them and do a bit of digging before shipping.  eBay will check their ID history for you if you have concerns and good reason.  Starting off, I sell larger sets to the UK only.  It would be good if new buyers were limited to say, a

And this is why we need a thread to post names. I don't get why we can't. We can post all we want about stores. We should look out for each other on both ends buying and selling. This sucks for you man. Keep us posted.

Odd thing was that the seller had 600+ perfect feedback. I question if he/she could have had their account hijacked.

Recent update...Ebay made me fill out a police report and after I did that a few days later (today) they issued me a full refund for $1601.99. I can say that I'm thoroughly impressed with Ebay. Good news is that the seller never responed to my emails asking what happened so it was very clear it was a scam and Ebay quickly ruled in my favor.

Chris.

• Like 2

Odd thing was that the seller had 600+ perfect feedback. I question if he/she could have had their account hijacked.

Recent update...Ebay made me fill out a police report and after I did that a few days later (today) they issued me a full refund for $1601.99. I can say that I'm thoroughly impressed with Ebay. Good news is that the seller never responed to my emails asking what happened so it was very clear it was a scam and Ebay quickly ruled in my favor.

Chris.

I have had to file a police report as well - I felt bad about needing to have the police come by the house (as if they had nothing better to be doing).

I have had to file a police report as well - I felt bad about needing to have the police come by the house (as if they had nothing better to be doing).

Me too. I apologized to the officer. I felt stupid. He said it happens all the time. Not just ebay but identify theft. Part of the new modern digital world we live in. I will say, however, that he was shocked and impressed with the resale value of Lego. So if you see Officer Riveria as a new member on Bricklink give him a shoutout for me:).

Im willing to bet that most people here who sell on ebay don't have 100% 5 star feedback and we all know that some buyers can be unfairly demanding and then leave negative feedback when it should have been positive or at the very worst nuetral. There are two sides to every sale and we aren't gonna let one side be put on blast with only 1 side of the story told. That's that's the way it's been from the start and until it is announced otherwise that is the way it will remain.

Im willing to bet that most people here who sell on ebay don't have 100% 5 star feedback and we all know that some buyers can be unfairly demanding and then leave negative feedback when it should have been positive or at the very worst nuetral. There are two sides to every sale and we aren't gonna let one side be put on blast with only 1 side of the story told. That's that's the way it's been from the start and until it is announced otherwise that is the way it will remain.

Fair enough. But I gave them $1600. They sent me a fake (not even a real Lego brand) skeleton minifig. Nothing else. They stopped all communication after I paid them. Haven't heard from them in over three weeks. This person was a scammer. No question. Hence the reason ebay sided with me. I was the one ripped off here. You will never hear the other side of the story because he/she is a thief and won't communicate.

But thank you for your prompt response.

• Like 4

I do. Emazers does. God status. :)

I Don't have any doubt you are telling the truth and we all know too well the shenanigans that take place on ebay.

Thanks Stephen. As I stated, it's possible this person had their account hijacked since they had so much positive feedback and I can't imagine someone working up a account for a year just to work a scam on a single weekend before being shut down by ebay. This account also had another auction with multiple sets for sale similar to the auction I won. I'm sure the winner of that auction is also filing with eBay for a insurance claim.

I personally have a eBay history of about 300 transactions over the 8 years I've had an account and this is the first problem I've had. So I don't consider this to be a ongoing problem in my experiences with eBay.

Some people admittedly think it's not important and can't be bothered with stuff as inconsequential as leaving feedback. My favorite quote was something to the effect of I'm an ebay professional who sells on eBay for a living, I leave the feedback thing to the novices.

I think there should be a sort of system where every time you receive positive feedback but leave none in return, one is just deducted from your previous total.

Bought another used set on ebay that the description says is "complete".  Of course upon taking 10 minutes in inspect the 48 pieces set, it is missing 5 pieces which I do not have.  I contacted the seller 2 days ago but he/she hasn't gotten back to me.  I plan on waiting another day or 2 before leaving feedback.  Should I go with neutral feedback or negative. 

Bought another used set on ebay that the description says is "complete". Of course upon taking 10 minutes in inspect the 48 pieces set, it is missing 5 pieces which I do not have. I contacted the seller 2 days ago but he/she hasn't gotten back to me. I plan on waiting another day or 2 before leaving feedback. Should I go with neutral feedback or negative.

If it states complete why isn't this SNAD?
  • Like 1

I guess I'm bored.

If it were me:

Poor/no response, important pieces missing, unwilling to return = negative feedback.

Poor/no response, important pieces missing, willing to return = SNAD, then (not positive) feedback depending on how it's handled afterward (pieces sent, partial refund, return all valid possibilities)

Poor/no response, minor pieces missing, unwilling to return, new/good feedback history = negative feedback

Poor/no response, minor pieces missing, poor feedback history = SNAD to help weed these people out

Cooperative response, important pieces missing, new/good feedback history = neutral or no feedback

Cooperative response, minor pieces missing, new/good feedback history = positive feedback with mention of issue

Cooperative response, lame feedback history = neutral feedback

• Like 2

I guess I'm bored.

If it were me:

Poor/no response, important pieces missing, unwilling to return = negative feedback.

Poor/no response, important pieces missing, willing to return = SNAD, then (not positive) feedback depending on how it's handled afterward (pieces sent, partial refund, return all valid possibilities)

Poor/no response, minor pieces missing, unwilling to return, new/good feedback history = negative feedback

Poor/no response, minor pieces missing, poor feedback history = SNAD to help weed these people out

Cooperative response, important pieces missing, new/good feedback history = neutral or no feedback

Cooperative response, minor pieces missing, new/good feedback history = positive feedback with mention of issue

Cooperative response, lame feedback history = neutral feedback

Can we get this in a flowchart please?  Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Bought another used set on ebay that the description says is "complete".  Of course upon taking 10 minutes in inspect the 48 pieces set, it is missing 5 pieces which I do not have.  I contacted the seller 2 days ago but he/she hasn't gotten back to me.  I plan on waiting another day or 2 before leaving feedback.  Should I go with neutral feedback or negative. 

Open a SNAD case - that gets sellers attention faster than anything else, as it causes a defect and you can escalate to get eBay involved.

It doesn't even matter if you don't want to send it back - you can ask for anything reasonable (or even not reasonable ;) but I know that's not the case here) -- you can ask for a partial refund in the amount it will cost you to get the missing pieces on BL, for example.

Worst case scenario, eBay will tell you you have to return for refund, but you don't have to do that, you can just keep the set.

If you don't want to go through the hassle at all, then a negative feedback is warranted, IMO, because of the lack of communication/resolution from the seller. If a seller screws up but fixes it, I either leave positive or no feedback.

• Like 4

I am going to hope they get back to me and at least refund the amount it will cost me to replace the pieces.  I think I will be putting in an order for some pieces from bricklink so I don't have to spend $3 for shipping 5 pieces.  The fact that the set only has 48 pieces and the seller didn't check to make sure all the pieces were there before stating the set was complete is what irritates me the most.  It literally took me less than 10 min to inventory the set.  Thanks for the input.

So, I typically investigate the feedback profiles of sellers with less than a few dozen and 100% positive. This one has me befuddled - no feedback as a seller, 10 positive as a buyer in the last month/6mo/year, all from different mega-sellers/stores, and 7 of the 10 comments are absolutely identical.

iconPos_16x16.gifQuick response and fast payment. Perfect! THANKS!!

During past month ---- 

iconPos_16x16.gifHope to deal with you again. Thank you.

During past month ----Private

During past month ---- 

During past month ---- 

iconPos_16x16.gifGreat communication. A pleasure to do business with.

During past month ---- 

sheside 14162iconShootYllw_25x25.gif)

During past month ---- 

During past month ---- 

iconPos_16x16.gifGood buyer, prompt payment, valued customer, highly recommended.

I try not to be overly suspicious but the odds of this happening naturally must be astronomical.

Can anyone explain this?

Makes perfect sense, not sure how I wasn't aware of this. Foggy weather, foggy brain this morning perhaps.

Now I am perplexed by the fact that I started a new topic for my question, and the post seemingly got moved here (which is fine if that's what  mod wanted I guess...)