Retiring Soon - open speculation

Quite a random selection... seems like a lot of currently poor sellers, but also suspect that list is not complete as it stands now. Only 2 s5 Mixels?

anything that actually gets the retiring soon tag is overproduced for demand.  does not mean there is not still potential after retirement, depending on what else retires this year, the triple-E may be a decent investment.  and some of the sets on the current list are good buys at decent discounts.  but these days the retiring soon tag, seem to be LEGO Shop at Home way of saying we have too many of these left but will not put it on sale.  

• Like 1

Good to know and thanks for sharing the picture!

As many folks have shared, changing the box art isn't THAT big a deal in the age of digital design, so we shouldn't read too much into whether a set is going to retire just because it has a new box. 

If that is true, imagine if they did a series of limited edition boxes with different movie posters on the box, and decals included inside to correlate with big new movies coming out?

Star Wars Episode 7

Avengers

Magic Mike 3 

I know one of them would get me to buy an extra set. I won't say which film.

As many folks have shared, changing the box art isn't THAT big a deal in the age of digital design, so we shouldn't read too much into whether a set is going to retire just because it has a new box. 

If that is true, imagine if they did a series of limited edition boxes with different movie posters on the box, and decals included inside to correlate with big new movies coming out?

Star Wars Episode 7

Avengers

Magic Mike 3 

I know one of them would get me to buy an extra set. I won't say which film.

Has anyone seen a new PS box or R5 or EV..?

PR new box? MC new box...? (I still don't know if I dreamt MC having a box identical to the new T1 box)

PR has a new box. I already have a few of them, if you want proof I can provide pictures. Same modification as with the new PC box-art: Expert logo on a blue stripe. I prefer the old box though.

Edited by JM123
  • Like 1

ToO and Red 5 still sold out - looking better by the minute for these two. Red 5 should OOS sometime next week in the EU too, depending on whether people are waiting for the holiday train promo to start.

I am going to speculate that DS and Red 5 will go out of stock once the Holiday train promotion starts in the EU. The Storm Trooper minifigure offer on Star Wars purchases will also help soften the load on ones wallet.

I am going to speculate that DS and Red 5 will go out of stock once the Holiday train promotion starts in the EU. The Storm Trooper minifigure offer on Star Wars purchases will also help soften the load on ones wallet.

You´re not risking much regarding the DS - it TOOS´d today.

Edited by valenciaeric

Alright, so remember the clearance at walmart in July?  Looks like that was actually a precursor.

If I recall the Brick Bounty, IR, AT-AT's, GG Wheel Bike, DS Troopers, and Cantina's were all on sale. 

Brick Bounty, and IR are pretty much out.  I think it's telling what is next and probably will go soon.  Also, lego only seems to apply the "retiring soon" tag on sets that are poor sellers that they are hoping to blow out of stock.  Seems that's a sign to "stay away".

pointed out on daily deals thread by MaxM - AT AT 75054 is "call to check availability" at shop at home ...  that's a bit of a surprise - out for  a year and a couple of months..???  i only have 3 of these - panic time?

The july walmart clearance prophecy ringing it's bell once again?  Ahem…cantinas..cantinas..cough cough cough.

Edited by fossilrock

My Wal-Marts around here still have lots of Cantinas.  I'm not sure they'll be there after Christmas.

I'd have to review the July Clearance thread, but from what I remember, At-at's, cantina's, ghost's, GG WB, Jedi Interceptor, all the 2014 winter wave battle packs, the Brick Bounty, numerous Superhero sets (I don't pay any attention to those, so I forget which ones), and many of the creator 3 in 1 sets were in that clearance wave.  Seems that most of them are starting to get sold out at Lego S&H during this 2xVIP event.  Don't know if that means these are all going out, but it's making sense.  I know I purchased a few At-At's during that period, and cantinas were at 49.00 at many walmarts….

I haven't seen an AT-AT in these walmarts since they clearances them, same with the brick bounty.  I'm sure the black friday restock at many of these walmarts will be somewhat telling...