Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy

This is definitely the situation.  If you look at all the new sets and the licenses to boot you have increased prices on every set.  They can produce sets with fewer pieces moving forward and increase the prices 10% because people are paying, especially on titles like Minecraft and Super Heroes.

Lego are treading a fine line as quality isn't quite what it was and nor are prices.

Any ideas on 31010 Creator Treehouse?   $49 on Amazon, and selling for around the same on Ebay... 

I think it is having a Christmas shortage.  I am selling the ones I bought last week.  You can order online for in store pickup at Target or shipping at TRU.  It might have to go to $55-60 to make it worth the effort without any more discounts.

TRU - link - $24.99

Guest TabbyBoy

in german LEGO Shop at Home the 21110 research institute just revived. They seem to have probs with online orders right now. Had to call and they are in stock. Got me max of 5 of them and hope they

I don't see (many) more sets going EOL this year.

There will be tons more but you just don't care about them :) because they are <$30 sets and/or from themes you don't invest in (chima, ninjago, city, friends, creator, hero factory...)

Would you have thought about the 3186 ? Or the 60019 ? The 42004 ? Yet they have all signs of retirement... :)

I think they maybe realised they had too many sets and were maybe struggling with the associated management of such a large catalog... With that in mind and with a view to maybe making it hard for resellers to pile in too heavily I wonder if they just stopped production of a certain sets literally around the same day...

This is certainly a possibility.   My guess is they are diverting more resources to becoming a media company similar to Disney...theme parks...there own characters ...video games...movies etc.    Just a guess...

This is certainly a possibility.   My guess is they are diverting more resources to becoming a media company similar to Disney...theme parks...there own characters ...video games...movies etc.    Just a guess...

This is actually the opposite of what TLG is doing.  They tried diversifying their business 10-15 years ago and it didn't work out so well.  Although they may own a minority interest in the theme parks, TLG largely divested their interest in them a while back and shed a number of other business units in order to focus on their core business.  Given their success as of late, the reorg seems to have worked out pretty well.

• Like 1

This is actually the opposite of what TLG is doing.  They tried diversifying their business 10-15 years ago and it didn't work out so well.  Although they may own a minority interest in the theme parks, TLG largely divested their interest in them a while back and shed a number of other business units in order to focus on their core business.  Given their success as of late, the reorg seems to have worked out pretty well.

The old attempts were just rushed. With the success of The LEGO Movie and LEGO beginning to be perceived more than "just a toy" by the masses it might be a logical step to move forward.

I wasn't aware that they didn't own any of the parks but it's hard to say they are doing the opposite when they keep making lego cartoons and movies...reality show in the works...with more on the horizon. There are only so many licensed themes out there that they can eventually make.  The licenses that they make bank on from TMNT, Star Wars, Hobbit LOTR etc are not forever and can and do end.  To be large and stable, they need multiple line of revenue in case one takes a major hit.  We can only guess to the motives of a huge private company, but it is interesting to discuss.  

These article explain what I was trying to say a little better...

http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2013/06/build-brand-content-empire-learn-from-lego/

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/14/lego-reality-tv-show-lego-movie-batman

Edited by pickleboy
  • Like 1

I wasn't aware that they didn't own any of the parks but it's hard to say they are doing the opposite when they keep making lego cartoons and movies...with more on the horizon. There are only so many licensed themes out there that they can eventually make.  The licenses that they make bank on from TMNT, Star Wars, Hobbit LOTR etc are not forever and can and do end.  To be large and stable, they need multiple line of revenue in case one takes a major hit.  We can only guess to the motives of a huge private company, but it is interesting to discuss.  

Star Wars is ending?

You really can't trust the media these days

Edited by Grynn

I wasn't aware that they didn't own any of the parks but it's hard to say they are doing the opposite when they keep making lego cartoons and movies...with more on the horizon. There are only so many licensed themes out there that they can eventually make.  The licenses that they make bank on from TMNT, Star Wars, Hobbit LOTR etc are not forever and can and do end.  To be large and stable, they need multiple line of revenue in case one takes a major hit.  We can only guess to the motives of a huge private company, but it is interesting to discuss.  

Just a note Lego does not really make any of the Movies or Cartoon Series from what I have heard.  Basically Warner Brothers owns almost everything related to the movies, video games, etc.  All of it.  Someone will know more and clarify this and Lego is reaping huge rewards from the Lego Movie and everything else while I am sure they are collecting hefty sums from Warner Brothers as well.

Just a note Lego does not really make any of the Movies or Cartoon Series from what I have heard.  Basically Warner Brothers owns almost everything related to the movies, video games, etc.  All of it.  Someone will know more and clarify this and Lego is reaping huge rewards from the Lego Movie and everything else while I am sure they are collecting hefty sums from Warner Brothers as well.

In general you are right, but TLM is an exception, it was mostly an internal work. Warner only provided the technical and professional assistance.

Star Wars is ending?

You really can't trust the media these days

No, it's not ending that I am aware of but it's a contract and they do not last forever.   Disney owns the rights and I don't see them changing the contract anytime soon but never say never...     

Edited by pickleboy

If I understand correctly, the movie revenue has made them the largest toy company in the world.  

http://time.com/money/3268065/lego-largest-toy-company-mattel/

In general you are right, but TLM is an exception, it was mostly an internal work. Warner only provided the technical and professional assistance.

Thanks for confirm and on TLM I think it is probably even more intertwined than that according to the info here.

It sounds like a 3rd party company from Australia was hired to do the animation using LDD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lego_Movie

There is no doubt between Lego along with the Lego theme parks by Merlin and Movies & Video Games by Warner that Lego is reaching new heights.

Lego is focused on Lego in my opinion.  They use Merlin and Warner to advertise, let people interact all while not only making a bundle from those licensing agreements but using those companies and forms of entertainment to send people back to the core product which is what they focus on which is Lego.

There is no doubt between Lego along with the Lego theme parks by Merlin and Movies & Video Games by Warner that Lego is reaching new heights.

Lego is focused on Lego in my opinion.  They use Merlin and Warner to advertise, let people interact all while not only making a bundle from those licensing agreements but using those companies and forms of entertainment to send people back to the core product which is what they focus on which is Lego.

Obviously, it always comes back to the bricks.    

But it's not just the brick that took them to new heights.  It's how they have changed and embraced new mediums and media.  All that being said, isn't friends one of the largest sellers, which has no games, movies, cartoons etc....interesting discussion