Retiring Soon - open speculation

In defense for Pop:

-there has been a movie (normally that's not too bad... but the movie flopped...)

-the game is highly popular and well known (though it's fans probably/obviously are not all LEGO fans as well ;-) )

-the sets and minifigs actually have been pretty neat (which is the strongest point)

(minifigs of this theme are meh... the hero is dumb, and I can't imagine lots of kids glad to have some arabic warriors minifigs).

Sometimes you can be surprised by a set. If I could I would have invested in the set 7570, just because of... the ostriches. I'm lucky to be a new investor, and to not have been able to get some. I'm still a little surprised by the bad CAGR of this set though (I would think that lots of people would want some ostriches for a zoo, or a metal slug MOC)

I would have invested in the 7573 too, just because it's a great looking set...

...now excuse-me, I have to burn in hell ! :devil: :devil: :devil::cry::devil: :devil: :devil:

• Like 1

(minifigs of this theme are meh... the hero is dumb, and I can't imagine lots of kids glad to have some arabic warriors minifigs).

Sometimes you can be surprised by a set. If I could I would have invested in the set 7570, just because of... the ostriches. I'm lucky to be a new investor, and to not have been able to get some. I'm still a little surprised by the bad CAGR of this set though (I would think that lots of people would want some ostriches for a zoo, or a metal slug MOC)

I would have invested in the 7573 too, just because it's a great looking set...

...now excuse-me, I have to burn in hell ! :devil: :devil: :devil::cry::devil: :devil: :devil:

7573 Battle of Alamut actually was a cool looking set. I had a few of these bought at deepest discount. But eventhough I earned quite good on them. It was not easy to let the last one go. And I believe these will become pretty scarce in a few years. Maybe they will bite us all in the @ss.

7573 Battle of Alamut actually was a cool looking set. I had a few of these bought at deepest discount. But eventhough I earned quite good on them. It was not easy to let the last one go. And I believe these will become pretty scarce in a few years. Maybe they will bite us all in the @ss.

I realize now that one of the biggest problems in lego investment is... the room sets can take.

For that kind of set if I had plenty of space I would have tried to keep one (and only one) set and wait for 4 or 5 more years. You never now, a reboot of the movie or a new video game is still possible...

And if 5 years later nobody wants it, you open it for yourself.

• Like 1

space is the biggest factor yes...

p.s.

my point was that probably nobody will be the perfect investor, because you won't be able to fulfill all the points that I listed

I never intended to say that you should only look for non-hoarded sets, but still it would be best if you'd find a super duper winner set that is not hoarded on maximum discount (what you also won't find)... so all this "best investment strategy" is rather subjective.

a big point when it comes to the game of LEGOs is how you count in your time spent on LEGO related things.

that's one point where I pity those who invest in LEGO but only for the investment, not because they enjoy LEGO themselves.

if I'm browsing the internet for LEGO and for discounts etc. I enjoy it.

If I buy some sets, I enjoy to build some myself (even as back-up strategy should I not be able to sell them).

and in conclusion the point about PoP has been that the statement "whoever invested in PoP should burn for it" is a little bit over the top and smart-assy.

It's like saying "whoever did not put all his money on the UCS MF is an idiot" after who've seen how it has performed over the last years.

Of course nobody who'd know about the future of any set would invest in a loser and everybody would put all money on the winner.

But why didn't everybody spend all their money on the UCS MF? It was very big and very expensive and you just DO NOT KNOW how it will perform.

That's why you didn't buy 1000 UCS MF instead of a mixed-investment.

Also the strategy you use is a big factor.

Here are a lot of people who flip for quick profit, who sell different parts of sets and minifigures, who don't have a lot of space etc. while there are others who buy more sets and have more storing room than others have space to live in and hold them for all eternity.

so back to topic:

What will be retiring?

-ToO will retire in the middle of next year (somewhere around june I'd guess)

-UCS X-Wing... still wondering about that one... hope it stays first quarter of the next year

In Ed's wicked theme ... from LEGO Shop at Home Europe 15% off sales of these

Save 15% on the following sets:

41015, Dolphin Cruiser; 10226, Sopwith Camel; 10233, Horizon Express;

10234, Sydney Opera House; 10240, Red Five X-wing Starfighter;

10241, Maersk Line Triple-E; 10937, Batman Arkham Asylum Breakout;

10508, Duplo Deluxe Train Set and 60004, Fire Station

Could all of these also be retiring now?

I consider yes SC HE AA but wow Red Five, SOH, EEE too?

Wow GhostDad may agree and no one is arguing with.

What if fell this year

SSD, GE, TH, R2, SC, HE, HH, AA, SOH, EEE, RED FIVE

May be forgetting something

But that would be 11 for Ed's 10 or more to go list.

My prediction on 10/30 was: TH, GE. HH, SC, KJ, R2, HE, SOH, WVM, ToO, R5, EEE, AA, and maybe DS.

I also think the retiring soon could apply to the WM sales. You are going to have have a hard time finding Olivia's house after this week. The other ones might not retire (other than smallville) but their sale going to eat through a lot of everyone's stock, and they going to replace it w new stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

I also think the retiring soon could apply to the WM sales. You are going to have have a hard time finding Olivia's house after this week. The other ones might not retire (other than smallville) but their sale going to eat through a lot of everyone's stock, and they going to replace it w new stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

I saw a couple soccer Mom's picking up the Smallville's today, without knowing much better.

• Like 1

SW 75002 AT-AT is now OOS at target and i can't even find a webpage anymore on walmart for this set. 

haven't seen one in a store since the summer.

kmart still has some for reasonable price.

amazon and tru are at or above msrp.

no "retiring soon" tag 

call to check availability in europe (along with BARC SPEEDER wooof woof).

All signs pointing to EOL.

SW 75002 AT-AT is now OOS at target and i can't even find a webpage anymore on walmart for this set. 

haven't seen one in a store since the summer.

kmart still has some for reasonable price.

amazon and tru are at or above msrp.

no "retiring soon" tag 

call to check availability in europe (along with BARC SPEEDER wooof woof).

All signs pointing to EOL.

Are you talking about the AT-RT by any chance?

Just thinking of the AT-AT retiring that early made me wonder WHY?!

Get your names right cladner!!! :-P

may this link be with you...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Walker

All sets, which were discounted 15% yesterday, can be retired soon, except Sydney opera - it has a very short production life, and similar set - TB - is in market extremly long. Why to end Sydney so soon? It would be EXTREMLY surprising. Even EEE is acceptable as retiring soon, since this Maersk sets have sometimes short EOL (for example maersk train). I think that Sydney opera was discounted because of its bad selling numbers - this set is extremly overpriced (similar set - TB - has better price and much more pieces !!!). I expect that Sydney opera will have reduced price in future year, which will match its number of pieces - 0,09 eur for 1 piece is unacceptable for nonlicenced set without minifigures, real price is under 200 eur.