10227 - UCS B-Wing Starfighter

MaximusLegous

There's a reason it was sold for 99 and it wasn't charity.

There was obviously something gong on for LEGO to discount such a large set 50%. Slow sales or over production, improper build or just plain unpopular...or maybe a combination...we will never know. Regardless, the set will do quite well in the aftermarket IMO.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a reason it was sold for 99 and it wasn't charity.

Yup. Retail price was too high for the market. Most likely, Lego was left with way too much inventory so they (along with TRU) needed to move stock. Thus a $99 special was announced although it was more like a clearance sale. Demand shot up. Then other retailers lowered their prices to get in on some of the action even though they couldn't charge $99.

Earlier today I was scanning my shelves and one set stood out...The UCS B-Wing.  I love the box.  I love the size of the box...it's huge.  It looks like a $300 set.  Regardless of whatever issues the set might have(if any), it looks damn impressive in the box!  LOL

• Like 1

Earlier today I was scanning my shelves and one set stood out...The UCS B-Wing.  I love the box.  I love the size of the box...it's huge.  It looks like a $300 set.  Regardless of whatever issues the set might have(if any), it looks damn impressive in the box!  LOL

Ed, I sort of agree. It just sucks that the dang thing is so big for the piece count. I wish it could have at least been the same size as HH or Arkham. Or R2D2. Storing it is frustrating.

I know I love it.

I think that the B-wing is going to be my first big score - that first love affair every investor has. I haven't been in the game severely long and I have had a couple of scores, but I haven't had any sets actually retire to the point that I am super confident they will appreciate (that will change when LOTR is gone).

I wish I had more - 6 is good though.

I love this set. My 7 year old son and I built it together and now it is proudly displayed in his bedroom. I have never had any issues with it breaking and I actually have "flown" it around a bit in my hands and opened and closed the wings frequently. It makes short work of my ultimate tie interceptor from the same movie.

Ed, I sort of agree. It just sucks that the dang thing is so big for the piece count. I wish it could have at least been the same size as HH or Arkham. Or R2D2. Storing it is frustrating.

I'm not sure of the weight, but many of the B-Wing's pieces are quite large in comparison to other sets.  The amount of ABS plastic has a lot to do with price. 

• 4 weeks later...

Before I became an investor, I missed the 50% off of the B-Wing back on May 4th.

I've since bought 4 @ Wal-Mart for around $157.

LEGO Shop at Home currently shows Sold Out and some forum members (outside of US) are saying it's EOL at their LEGO Shop at Home.

Amazon has it near retail, $199, TRS @ $229, and eBay inbetween all those prices.

Am I missing something here?

It just came out!  Shouldn't it be going for another 2 years or so?

Before I became an investor, I missed the 50% off of the B-Wing back on May 4th.

I've since bought 4 @ Wal-Mart for around $157.

LEGO Shop at Home currently shows Sold Out and some forum members (outside of US) are saying it's EOL at their LEGO Shop at Home.

Amazon has it near retail, $199, TRS @ $229, and eBay inbetween all those prices.

Am I missing something here?

It just came out!  Shouldn't it be going for another 2 years or so?

I do not think you are missing anything. During the 50% off sale, a lot the B-Wing were sold, since then it has been in and out of stock. Before, the sale happened, I thought it would be going for at least two years, not I am not so sure. it is better to have some in case it EOL soon.

• Like 1

One of my smaller local LEGO stores has it in stock with a "Retiring Soon" label on it.

On the other hand, another bigger LEGO store with more traffic 20 miles away also has it but does not have the "Retiring Soon" label.

Really. They have it in stores. My local Lego store has not had the B-Wing in stock since May.