10197 - Fire Brigade

Spartikis

Ok so anyone have thoughts as to when the fire brigade will be retired? got to be soon, i mean there has never been 4 modular buildings for sale at the same time before. i want to buy up a bunch but i worry that because its been on the market soooo long it might be over sold, similar to the death star. Also feel free to post comments about other modular buildings, theres quite a few to talk about.

Some info on the site http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/evaluations/view/spotlight_on_lego_10197_fire_brigade Personally I think the modular building make the best ROI due to their broad appeal to the AFOL and their small box size. Possibly more appealing than Star Wars which is more male interest. Looking at the reviews of the modulars on Lego.com there are some over 45s enjoying this, who are probably pushing up the prices. We know this model is not in the latest catalogue which is a sure sign it's out of production. One of the modulars suddenly disappeared (market town) a few years ago so I will be buying a few this month if I can find the space. Regretting buying so much Harry Potter now.

i want to buy up a bunch but i worry that because its been on the market soooo long it might be over sold, similar to the death star.

For me, the real value after something has been retired is to find the ones that are MISB. How many Fire Brigades after a while will still be MISB? Don't expect a major return right away, but 2-3 years down the road, there will be less and less MISB out there so that's where the real value will come in. LEGO lovers like to build their sets. It's hard for many to not open that box!

Some info on the site

http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/evaluations/view/spotlight_on_lego_10197_fire_brigade

Personally I think the modular building make the best ROI due to their broad appeal to the AFOL and their small box size. Possibly more appealing than Star Wars which is more male interest.

Looking at the reviews of the modulars on Lego.com there are some over 45s enjoying this, who are probably pushing up the prices.

We know this model is not in the latest catalogue which is a sure sign it's out of production. One of the modulars suddenly disappeared (market town) a few years ago so I will be buying a few this month if I can find the space. Regretting buying so much Harry Potter now.

Probably the best indicator of the Fire Brigade heading off into the LEGO afterlife...LOL

Just want to give everyone a heads up about fire brigade. 1) its been removed from the spring Lego catalog 2) during this weekends free shipping it got back ordered to may 25th and look today and the back order was extended to June 12th. 3) Went to the cincinnati lego store and one of the works said he bought several and is expecting it to be retired within a few weeks to a month. I personally just bought one on back order and might rick picking another one up at the local Lego store if i see it becomes sold out.

Just want to give everyone a heads up about fire brigade.

1) its been removed from the spring Lego catalog

2) during this weekends free shipping it got back ordered to may 25th and look today and the back order was extended to June 12th.

3) Went to the cincinnati lego store and one of the works said he bought several and is expecting it to be retired within a few weeks to a month.

I personally just bought one on back order and might rick picking another one up at the local Lego store if i see it becomes sold out.

Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 months later...

The Fire Brigade is one of the sets I have my eye on for starting my investment in Lego. I've actually been looking at all the modular buildings currently for sale, and I got to thinking: Which of them is the best? I regret to say that I don't own any of them at this point, so I really don't know which ones to buy.

The Fire Brigade is one of the sets I have my eye on for starting my investment in Lego. I've actually been looking at all the modular buildings currently for sale, and I got to thinking: Which of them is the best? I regret to say that I don't own any of them at this point, so I really don't know which ones to buy.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I tend to agree that you can't go wrong with any of the modular buildings. Being in South Africa, the market for new sets is somewhat limited, and these are not particularly cheap for me by any means. Ok, so I will have to hold onto them a touch longer than most, but the value will be realised. I'd like to ask what people expect, or would like to see, with further modular sets? Will we see a garage? A police station? A toy shop? Law Court building? Hairdressers? Hardware store?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What do you guys think about 10216-1: Winter Village Bakery - is it already discontinued?

Not yet (launched in 2010), but I am thinking after this holiday season, it very well might be, just like Winter Toy Shop (launched in 2009), which only lasted 2 years. I wish that I would have gotten it last year. Speaking of which, I just picked up a NIB set of Winter Toy Shop today off of eBay for about $119, about double the retail, but at least I got 10% off on Winter Village Bakery and Winter Village Post Office at Legoland. Still need to get Winter Village Cottage to complete the set. I am thinking I might need to buy another Winter Village Bakery for investment before it sells out and retires after this year. This is one collection that I'd like it to be complete.

Do you guys (and gals) collect for personal use and/or investment any or all of the winter building sets? I think they appeal to a wide customer base from kids to adults, collectors, holiday decorators, and investors, to name a few.

Here is a fellow Bricklink member's Winter Village scene incorporating the sets.

http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=677706

Miro

Do you guys (and gals) collect for personal use and/or investment any or all of the winter building sets? I think they appeal to a wide customer base from kids to adults, collectors, holiday decorators, and investors, to name a few.

Here is a fellow Bricklink member's Winter Village scene incorporating the sets.

http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=677706

Miro

I have just gotten into these, but looking at the Toy Shop, they should do well. I will pick up at least a set to build, and one to hold onto. It seems that any line that is a series and completes a "set", does well because so many of us are set collectors.

Anyone fancy a photo of my Modular set up?

By the way each are fun in their own way. My favorite to build was the Green Crocer due to color scheme. But they are all fun, especially as a collection.

That looks great! It's nice to see them all together (I don't think Market Street really goes all that well with the rest). I have them all but have never had them all built at the same time.

Yeah I never picked up Market Street. 2004 - 2009 was my second Dark Ages. Luckily my close younger cousin was into Lego and for Xmas I bought him Cafe Corner during that time. Earlier this year I asked him if he still had it, he did, box and all. I gave him $300 bucks for it as he closed up shop on his lego building days and is off to college. I also promised to him I would never sell it and he knew very well it was going for $600 on eBay. All pieces were there except the minifigs and bicycle were lost somewhere deep in his tubs of Lego. I am sure I will get them one day when he gets back into it. But frankly I can't justify buying Market Street. If it was a full blown building like the others I would, and I love the colors, but there is something about it and its outrageous price that makes me rather spend the money on something else with more bang for the buck. In fact I was able to ****** up most of the things I missed out on...except that damned 10179. One of these days I will bite the bullet and get one for $2000. lol I spent too much in 2012 on Lego catching up on some of the sets I want, so maybe in 2013 I will snag one off eBay.

• 1 month later...

Fire Brigade running on 3 years and 3 months. Emporium running on 3 years. Are these sets ever going to retire? Or is lego gonna milk these like the Death Star. I have no problems holding on the Death Star. But with this build a town theme I can see lego not retiring these sets at all. Any thoughts on this?

Lego just made a fresh batch of Grand Emporium due to a glitch with some of the pieces (I believe it was the chandelier) and that is why they were out before Christmas and now back in stock. Not sure how many they made though. Also new corner set (Cinema) coming out soon so who knows?