What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Just finished the Tumbler in time to watch Boardwalk Empire which IMO Sux so far this season.

I think for me the combination of mostly black elements, poor lighting and my old eyes this was by far the most challenging build I have done. If you have built this and know of a set that was harder please let me know. It is very fragile and when handled or attempting to add new elements others just fall off. By the end there is literally no place to secure your hand to apply pressure without knocking off another piece. Yes, it looks awesome and makes a great display piece but by the end I couldn't wait to be done with it. I usually build lego to destress but this thing was a piece of work.

I rarely use stickers but found them necessary. Luckily they are not that visible in the finished set.

I haven't played with it or pushed it on the floor but if you hold it up and spin the front wheels you get that Tumbler sound. Pretty neat addition if it was purposeful.

Now I need to stop hating on it and see if I can enjoy it or off to eBay it goes.

You are correct - there are at least 4 places where panels fall off at the slightest touch (using the round boat studs doesn't help).  I had to help when my girlfriend was moving it and couldn't get a grip to put the paneling back on.  It's a cool piece but you can't touch it - even the B-wing was sturdier than this set.

It still looks incredible though.

• Like 1

i agree with others that you can't touch the tumbler without something falling off, or at least having something shifting out of position.  i don't know how they could have pulled off the look without the methods they used though, so i'm ok with it since the finished product looks incredible.

i agree with others that you can't touch the tumbler without something falling off, or at least having something shifting out of position.  i don't know how they could have pulled off the look without the methods they used though, so i'm ok with it since the finished product looks incredible.

I just want the wheels to move.

Yesterday, I built the 6090 Royal Knight's Castle

I received this as a gift a couple of weeks ago so I probably will not replace the missing minifigs (1/2 of them) but I will buy the 4 missing pieces as they are cheap.

As I did not have the instructions, I had to work with the online set; unfortunately the first 15 steps (of 57) are rotated 90 degrees so that made it challenging.

I forgot how neat the 90s castles were (I was a city builder, one of my brothers was the castle man)post-30305-0-46343800-1411662060_thumb.j

• Like 3

my 3 year old got hold of my 10212 and managed  to obliterate the front part (cockpit and nose).  putting that back together wasn't that big of a deal until I discovered that the storm trooper's gun was missing. He had somehow managed to hide it behind the cockpit in the Advanced Tie set. While trying to extract it the entire half of that set collapsed, that darn thing is more fragile than glass. 3 hours wasted.

smh

• Like 2

I've built the 3065 Olivia's treehouse found in a garage sale.

Quite a boring construction... but the result is better than expected. :)

It worth the MSRP but no more. The actual value (double MSRP) is crazyness for such a set IMHO.

The seller was all "it's complete ! it's complete !" and I knew it was absolutely not (how a set could be complete if the minifig and pets are not included ?).

Whatever, I'm glad to get a 16x16 green plate. :)

Edited by biniou

my 3 year old got hold of my 10212 and managed  to obliterate the front part (cockpit and nose).  putting that back together wasn't that big of a deal until I discovered that the storm trooper's gun was missing. He had somehow managed to hide it behind the cockpit in the Advanced Tie set. While trying to extract it the entire half of that set collapsed, that darn thing is more fragile than glass. 3 hours wasted.

smh

Actually it's pretty solid ^.^ very nice model. I'm still looking forward to build the new AT-AT. Wish there was an UCS AT-AT.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

built the purple and tan  mixels series 3. not the reg build or maxi mixels but mocs for the brickset competition. trying for a new one everyday. don't think I'll even place but sure is fun

Guest brickcrazyhouse

started building an alternative build to the grand improium. My goal is to make an inverted corner building.  Right now we have our modulars (7) in a U shape on a table, and taking up to much room. I'ld rather put them up on a L shape shelf up in the corner of the room.

edit: just found this and is basically what i'm going for '>

Edited by brickcrazyhouse

started building an alternative build to the grand improium. My goal is to make an inverted corner building.  Right now we have our modulars (7) in a U shape on a table, and taking up to much room. I'ld rather put them up on a L shape shelf up in the corner of the room.

edit: just found this and is basically what i'm going for '>

I posted in the GE forum looking for something exactly like this.  Let me know how it turns out as I have 2 GE in my city so far

started building an alternative build to the grand improium. My goal is to make an inverted corner building. Right now we have our modulars (7) in a U shape on a table, and taking up to much room. I'ld rather put them up on a L shape shelf up in the corner of the room.

edit: just found this and is basically what i'm going for '>

This inverted corner modular seems like a good idea in theory and practicality but in my eyes it seems like a waste. I get you're trying to fill a space because if how these need to be displayed in the corners of walls but about 90% of the building is covered up from adjoining building. Maybe something else would be a better option like a playground or a basketball/tennis court. These would need to be 2 modular blocks long so the 2 buildings wouldn't close out the corner and it would also give the landscape a little more depth.

This inverted corner modular seems like a good idea in theory and practicality but in my eyes it seems like a waste. I get you're trying to fill a space because if how these need to be displayed in the corners of walls but about 90% of the building is covered up from adjoining building. Maybe something else would be a better option like a playground or a basketball/tennis court. These would need to be 2 modular blocks long so the 2 buildings wouldn't close out the corner and it would also give the landscape a little more depth.

I was thinking to use the Town Hall as a stand alone building. Like the town center of Hill Valley (BTTF). Then in front of the Town Hall a park with a pond and surrounding the park are the other modulars (PS, GE, FB, PC, PR, etc.). I think that makes an awesome setup with depth. 

Edited by Ciglione
  • Like 1

Yesterday, I built the 6090 Royal Knight's Castle

I received this as a gift a couple of weeks ago so I probably will not replace the missing minifigs (1/2 of them) but I will buy the 4 missing pieces as they are cheap.

As I did not have the instructions, I had to work with the online set; unfortunately the first 15 steps (of 57) are rotated 90 degrees so that made it challenging.

I forgot how neat the 90s castles were (I was a city builder, one of my brothers was the castle man)attachicon.gifIMG_20140924_144621.jpg

That may rank as one of my all-time favorite sets- thank you for posting.

50% through a Tumbler build and loving it. Just helped my boy finish his trash truck from the Lego Movie.

I built my used SSD.  I plan to actually write a review about it as it is such a hot topic.

Quick Notes - I didn't want to use a table to build it in case it took me a long time, so I created my own stand with a bulletin board and a base and built the sections at a table and transferred them over (basically the last 60% of the build is like this).  The stand does not seem really sturdy but I have no fear of it falling - On its own, it is a sturdy build on its own as you can easily hold it.

The interior is very repetitive and I didn't realize how big it really was until I was building it (even though I knew it was 4 feet long)

Finally, stickers suck but in this case it is understandable. 

Now I have to find a home for it, and I will take a building break for a week.

post-30305-0-34100400-1412179485_thumb.j

post-30305-0-05168400-1412179529_thumb.j

post-30305-0-32383400-1412179440_thumb.j

• Like 2

I was thinking to use the Town Hall as a stand alone building. Like the town center of Hill Valley (BTTF). Then in front of the Town Hall a park with a pond and surrounding the park are the other modulars (PS, GE, FB, PC, PR, etc.). I think that makes an awesome setup with depth.

Yeah that would look good. It would be a change from the wall of buildings usually on display. The only concern would be space.