10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

If only Lego followed what made sense.

if we had access to the same information lego does (like actual sales figures, profit margins on given sets, current vs historic demand on a given set, etc), i think their decisions would make perfect sense.  

if we had access to the same information lego does (like actual sales figures, profit margins on given sets, current vs historic demand on a given set, etc), i think their decisions would make perfect sense.  

Or, it's entirely possible they like to be unpredictable....to be unpredictable. (which can also be good for sales) I don't think profit and sales figures are 100% of their decision making process.

Now this is what I am looking for. Solid information. So one can make a good business decision.

You will find out very soon that I did give many of you solid information regarding the SSD.  I told members to buy them months ago(while they were in stock at Double VIP points) and not to flip them.  Wait for it...

I am just questioning why have two different statuses(TOOS vs sold out) in similarly same circumstances in the span of few months, when unlikely that any sales figures changed in such short period of time

I am just questioning why have two different statuses(TOOS vs sold out) in similarly same circumstances in the span of few months, when unlikely that any sales figures changed in such short period of time

From my experience:

- TOOS: not available to ship right away but item can be ordered and should be fulfilled.

- Sold out: you missed your chance.

Assuming this is retired, I think history will show the best time to buy it in recent months was Oct during triple VIP + clone trooper poly. My gorilla math puts the cost at around $330 before other types of discounts.

Yes, I told people then as well.  

I have just ordered one from Lego UK and got the following email....................

'Thank you for ordering from shop.LEGO.com. Unfortunately, the item(s) listed below are currently out of stock and it will be a little longer before we can ship them to you.'

Make of that what you will.

This means that your item is backordered and will ship in July. The first batch of the new run went to ******. America to fill their backorders and the second will go to fill Europe and Asia. It is funny how a set can go from dust collector to flying off the shelves. Who knew all that dark gray would become so exciting all of a sudden? 

Except in case of AS 21050. Or we consider it too weird?

I don't have my feet wet regarding 21050 but I will assume that it had a TOOS and not all orders placed whilst in that status were fulfilled, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I stated that these orders should be completed, leaving the door open for Lego to do it or not.

I called the idea of flipping a possible retired SSD for $100 stupid...Sorry.  It is.

Didn't you say the same thing when everyone was offloading their Crawlers to a certain schmo for $500 each?

It may end up looking stupid if TLG does not ship future batches of SSD to ******. America, but if they do it will look genius.

Either way it is probably smarter to let someone else make the disparaging remarks rather than one of the site owners, especially when there is no confirmation whatsoever that TLG intends to hoard the new run of this set for Europe and Asia only (infact I would guess ******. America gets the lion share of 10221s after August).

• Like 1

Please, don't lecture me on how to protect members. I am very protective of this site, second only to Jeff. I am privy to a lot more information than you know and try to direct conversations into areas that benefit both Jeff and I and its members. Why on God's Earth would I want to insult someone unless they asked for it? For kicks? I can do that anytime with fake accounts. My comment was directed to nobody in particular, but it was a point I wanted to make.  

If you want me to give people fluff answers to make everyone happy, you have the wrong idea of how I operate.  Many times I bite my tongue, choosing to use a politically correct response instead of a smart ass, but direct one.  Too often, I see many people discussing short term flipping on the site. While it is a way to make money, it is not what this sites main objective is. It seems to overtake every other discussion on the site. Flipping very short term gets many members banned from LEGO LEGO Shop at Home because of their excessive buying habits and methods. Read that line again and realize that I might get some information that I cannot always divulge to people.

What you think is an insult can protect many of you in the future without going into too much detail. A few of you are taking this personal. It is not. I don't know you or Stoltzj77. You both seem like nice people, so that is why I am trying to explain things without revealing too much. Flipping the SSD is a bad idea IMO. It's a set to hold onto long term for various reasons. Did I say various? At the end of the day, I want people to benefit from information learned on this site. Why would I want members to make poor investment choices? I wouldn't.

Sometimes you have to give hard love and that is the case here. Flipping these SSDs short term is risky business IMO and not what I want to promote for various reasons. Did I say various? It's not that I dislike short term flipping, it's just that I feel it's my obligation as the "community leader" to tell people it's a poor choice for various reasons. Did I say various?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I posted this for "various reasons"

• Like 2

No one is a genius in this game.....no one.

A lot of people think they are though. lol. 

Believe me - I waffle on sets everyday. Last week I bought 10 A-wings at 17$ each. This week, I wish I hadn't.

This means that your item is backordered and will ship in July. The first batch of the new run went to ******. America to fill their backorders and the second will go to fill Europe and Asia. It is funny how a set can go from dust collector to flying off the shelves. Who knew all that dark gray would become so exciting all of a sudden? 

How was this set ever a dust collector? Maybe in Europe, but certainly not here at all.  Its a pretty exciting set built, box wise, etc.

I don't have my feet wet regarding 21050 but I will assume that it had a TOOS and not all orders placed whilst in that status were fulfilled, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I stated that these orders should be completed, leaving the door open for Lego to do it or not.

It was sold out for ever. So was Cat Cycle. You are right for probably 90% of sets, but there are definitely some that have done this.

Orc forge came back for 3-4 days after it went to sold out even.

Didn't you say the same thing when everyone was offloading their Crawlers to a certain schmo for $500 each?

It may end up looking stupid if TLG does not ship future batches of SSD to ******. America, but if they do it will look genius.

Either way it is probably smarter to let someone else make the disparaging remarks rather than one of the site owners, especially when there is no confirmation whatsoever that TLG intends to hoard the new run of this set for Europe and Asia only (infact I would guess ******. America gets the lion share of 10221s after August).

Well it wasn't $500 - but more importantly I still don't understand how everyone is so convinced that the Crawler is done being a good investment. Its been retired 6 months! Come on.

I mean, the whole point was to hold it a long time. 

Yes we don't know what 20K means in the world of Lego, but its still a limit. Looking at Ebay 200 were sold in the last 90 days. One would assume to all builders. So if that keeps going, you are taking down the amount available. In the ever increasing investor world, one does not know what will happen in 5 years. This may be the only set with a limit on it at all thats fathomable depending on the popularity of Lego.

Either way, he was expressing his opinion. Not directed at anyone. I am pretty sure I remember Ed saying before he has been wrong as well.