10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

You've gotta be kidding me.

Ed, if you really think you're not insulting stolzjl77 directly, then... well, let's just say that people who think like that are idiots. I don't mean you exactly, I just mean people LIKE you are idiots.

Not everyone has a bottomless well of resources, and not everyone has the same risk tolerance. Is your strategy more +EV? (Positive Expected Value) Probably. But that is NOT a good reason to call someone an idiot, or brainless, or stupid, or whatever other insensitive and tone-deaf pejorative you'd like to spew. If you have ANY ambitions to monetize this site, chasing off casual investors who are supporting it is NOT the way to do it. In fact, I'd say it's short-sighted and stupid, and only someone without a brain would take that approach. 

Nothing personal.

This coming from a man who is selling their SSD for $2499 as per the price fixing conversation...

Who has a bottomless well of finances?  Why would I even discuss affiliate marketing if I had such a thing?  It's the casual investors that click on the links.  The experienced investors are clicking on their own affiliate programs(like ebates) to collect a few extra dollars, thus avoiding ours.  But I guess I'm just a fool with no knowledge of how affiliate marketing works.  We track everything a person does on this site.  What links they click or don't click.  What features they use or don't use.  We also know if you use our affiliate links or don't.  He was the one who mentioned affiliate commissions in the first place and was offended by an off the cuff comment.  Do you want honest feedback on investing or some fluff that promotes buying the wrong sets for the sake of our affiliate accounts?

I called the idea of flipping a possible retired SSD for $100 stupid...Sorry.  It is. If the SSD is indeed retired, where will a person find a set with that sort of investment potential again?  Flip some terd of a set on Amazon for a couple of bucks if that is what you want to do, not an SSD that can triple in value in two years if it is indeed retired.  If  a person cannot afford to have a $400 set sit in their closet for a couple of years, then maybe it's time to reevaluate career choices and/or investment methods.  It is not an insult or personal if one cannot afford $400 to put away, but one has to seriously look at their finances to see if LEGO investing is a prudent choice of wealth management.

As for your whole rant about me insulting a particular member, without actually mentioning someone's name or specific activity...just stop there.  Please.  No one person was pointed out in any way.  Stoltzj77 made the comment that brought attention to himself.  I was responding to a generic response from waddamon that didn't mention names either.  If your reading comprehension is weak, then maybe you should reread the thread to see where I insulted any one person directly.  I didn't.  Let me apologize once again to all of you flippers out there who chose to sell this set for $700 or less.  I'm so sorry for calling you brainless.  There, are you happy now?  Please go back to your SOLD OUT/CALL FOR AVAILABILITY discussion...

• Like 2

This coming from a man who is selling their SSD for $2499 as per the price fixing conversation...

You're kidding, right? Because if you're not, I don't think I'm the one with weak reading comprehension.

My issue is not with your knowledge, your strategy, or your experience--my issue is with your people skills. If you're trying to create a community, you need to act like a community leader. Calling people stupid

This isn`t the thread for a debate on "Collecting/Hobby vs Investment", so I`ll keep my comment as short and close to the point as possible. 

There are folks who fit solely into each of those categories, and others who sort of span the gap and fill both. If your goal is to solely make money, and who do not give a second thought to collecting or building, your perspective is going to be different than someone who fills the opposite category, and vice-versa. I`d also argue there are several sub-categories under each of those. For collecting/hobby: completists, minifigures collectors, entire set builders/collectors, sealed box collectors, etc. For investment: mainly flippers and long/longer term holders. I`ll focus on the second set of categories for the moments. Some people view this as a means to make quite a bit of money through the long term, thus holding their sets long for maximum profit or in other words increase wealth/capital. Others do this on the side as a means to make a quick buck here and there. Even still, there are plenty of people who aim to sell as a business and in most cases flip/sell other non-Lego items to do so. It should be obvious that everyone is going to approach this, like almost any other investment, through a different POV, sometimes a drastically different one. To say that someone else`s decision to buy or sell is stupid/insane/wrong only works if you understand the approach they are taking. As an example, someone buys a set for $100, sells it 6months later for $150, knowing full well it could be worth $200-$250 a year later. If the goal of that person was to maximize profit while doing minimal work, then it would be justified to say their choice was stupid. Of course it was! Why would they do such a thing? Unless perhaps they had different goals. They wanted a short term flip for optimal cash flow perhaps, and in that 6month span were able to flip more product with that cash and thus exceed the $50-$100 difference. There is just no way to tell for sure. 

Bottom line there are different approach, and you have to look and see where someone else is coming from. 

Now of course, there is just plain stupid, and there is tons of that around, far more than the presence of reason I`ve mentioned, but hopefully someone gets the point. Don`t always assume someone doesn`t know what they are doing, 8/10 times maybe they don`t, but 2/10 just might, and it`s not fair to toss them in with the rest.

And also, it really is tasteless IMHO to insult someone out of ignorance because you (generally) don`t know where they are coming from. It`s fine to not know, but anyone who wants to point a finger at the other guy should maybe stop and consider that they just might hold a perspective that is valuable/optimal for them, even if it is not in agreement with your own.  

• Like 2

Lol no there is nothing new. None of this is news. 

Re-reading this thread is making my night though. Sometimes I think I enjoy confrontation. 

Which works well as I work in a Customer support role.

I actually have a quite different opinion that Ed on how high the SSD will go. But he has got a point - it may be brainless I only have one. I should probably rethink this a bit more. Hmmmm.

Don't worry - I don't have any.  And I may be very stupid for not having any.  Especially when there were six on a shelf sitting there, in front of me, at Legoland, just two days ago.  Someone else here on the board took advantage and picked up three of them (with his annual pass discount), and the other three disappeared sometime between yesterday and today.

I waffle a lot on this set.  I can see everyone's point of view.  Maybe because I don't have one, and technically, I don't have a dog in this fight, but everyone has their strategies, and I hope that it works out the way everyone wants it to.  I'm completely sincere in that.

Within the context of the current discussion, I'm perhaps more stupid than anyone.  I could have bought six of them at a 10% discount.  Looks like I could have flipped two of them for $100 profit.  Then, I could have flipped two more for that same $100 profit.  So, I'd be left for one at 10% off, and one that was free.  Or, basically two of them at 55% off.  That doesn't look too bad, and if this thing goes up to $800, that's some might fine profit to be made.

At the end of the day, though, I've been debating whether I should invest in one product at $400, or two at $200 each (like Tower of Orthnac).  Maybe the ceilings are similar.  Maybe SSD blows everything else I could invest in right now out of the water.  Time is a factor - easier to mail out one item than two.

If I had a crystal ball, I'd be rich, and I'd be making money consulting with you guys.  Instead, I'm sitting here, reading this, and just trying to take it all in.  Trying to see how your individual strategies, especially for something as big as this, plays into my strategies.  For all I know, you all are geniuses.  Or, you've all hoarded these, and you'll never see this appreciate to the levels that you hope.  But, I will watch, and I will hope that everyone has the success they are looking for.

what about SSD in Europe/UK then...so far discussion revolves around the US market only...  :boredom:

As far as I can see. They are getting less in physical shops and online shops. Prices are remaining steady on 399 euro. I have seen no more sales. So I am guessing the end is nigh.

I have two of these and I would like to have more. Anyone seen them for lower than 399 euro lately?

As far as the discussions here which do not concern the EOL of SSD. I am getting tons of emails from this topic and the majority does not contain news on SSD. I am kindly calling on the moderators to try to maintain this topic ontopic. Cause I do not want to miss out on crucial information about the SSD. US or European market. As we all can learn from it to possibly forecast EOL of other sets as well.

Thank you. 

As far as I can see. They are getting less in physical shops and online shops. Prices are remaining steady on 399 euro. I have seen no more sales. So I am guessing the end is nigh.

I have two of these and I would like to have more. Anyone seen them for lower than 399 euro lately?

As far as the discussions here which do not concern the EOL of SSD. I am getting tons of emails from this topic and the majority does not contain news on SSD. I am kindly calling on the moderators to try to maintain this topic ontopic. Cause I do not want to miss out on crucial information about the SSD. US or European market. As we all can learn from it to possibly forecast EOL of other sets as well.

Thank you. 

I agree its getting ever more scarce. It hoovers around

You're kidding, right? Because if you're not, I don't think I'm the one with weak reading comprehension.

My issue is not with your knowledge, your strategy, or your experience--my issue is with your people skills. If you're trying to create a community, you need to act like a community leader. Calling people stupid

• Like 1

I have just ordered one from Lego UK and got the following email....................

'Thank you for ordering from shop.LEGO.com. Unfortunately, the item(s) listed below are currently out of stock and it will be a little longer before we can ship them to you.'

Make of that what you will.

I have just ordered one from Lego UK and got the following email....................

'Thank you for ordering from shop.LEGO.com. Unfortunately, the item(s) listed below are currently out of stock and it will be a little longer before we can ship them to you.'

Now this is what I am looking for. Solid information. So one can make a good business decision.

Now this is what I am looking for. Solid information. So one can make a good business decision.

Hmmmm, it's been out of stock from Spain's site for almost a month. I imagine you could make the purchase there and get the same email. I say imagine because I can't place that order as much as I'd love to.

Hmmmm, it's been out of stock from Spain's site for almost a month. I imagine you could make the purchase there and get the same email. I say imagine because I can't place that order as much as I'd love to.

Yeah, I think it is just a usual email you get when you order something that is backordered at the time of order placement

'Thank you for ordering from shop.LEGO.com. Unfortunately, the item(s) listed below are currently out of stock and it will be a little longer before we can ship them to you.

If you made your payment via credit card, please note that while we will authorize your card shortly. It will not be charged until your item(s) ship(s). You will receive an email notification at that time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause. If you

'Thank you for ordering from shop.LEGO.com. Unfortunately, the item(s) listed below are currently out of stock and it will be a little longer before we can ship them to you.

If you made your payment via credit card, please note that while we will authorize your card shortly. It will not be charged until your item(s) ship(s). You will receive an email notification at that time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause. If you

If only that meant it would actually ship.

I think it will though because I don't think its done yet.

I've gotten this message a few times just to get a follow up email saying they over promised and it is no longer available, sorry for the inconvenience, blah blah blah

moral of the story, ssd is gone for-ev-ver!

If only that meant it would actually ship.

I think it will though because I don't think its done yet.

If it is not done yet, and there is another production run, then it would not make a lot of sense for Lego to not allow backorders in the US. Yet it is not even at temporary OOS here, just plain old sold out...