10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

I got 2 about 2 weeks ago at a LEGOLAND discovery center gift shop.  That was all they had.  I went back in yesterday and they had another which I also bought.  The employee said that they share with other discovery centers on shipments so they get new stock that way sometimes.  That seems crazy to me but if it is true that might mean discovery centers have some floating around elsewhere and might be worth checking if anyone lives near one.

575 shipped sounds like allot but remember.

If bought at retail say walmart. Com

that's around 425 after tax

plus 35 to ship and insurance

plus 57 to eBay

plus 18 to pay pal

plus what ever the packing box and material cost

You've only made about 35-40 bucks so far.

Over here in the UK on a day off I went to the Lego store in Manchester where they had SSD's on the shelf, it was the same at Smyth's and Hamley's toy shop.  If they are not available at Lego.com then why are people not picking these up at the shops?  Admittedly they are full price and I already have two, so didn't bite but for such a sought after set doesn't make sense to me as to why they are still sat there?

I think it's silly to sell this set right now. I hope no one here is selling now.....if you are you are doing it wrong.

I suppose it's wrong if you don't think it's coming back again. If you think there will be a supply forthcoming, A person could sell 10 or so, and come away with an extra $400, to reinvest in more SSD's.

Glad I never bought into the hype of this as an investment.  Would be difficult to sit on several thousand in SSD's not being sure if they are retired or not

I think the writing is clearly on the wall that it isn't going to last very long--even if this latest LEGO Shop at Home restock prolongs its retail availability for a while longer.  Anything that gets the "temporarily out of stock" (coupled with an already-lengthy run of availability) is unlikely to stick around when it does come back.  Forget the word "hype" for a second and recognize that this set will do well when it is officially sold out and/or retired.  The consensus around this board (and certainly emazers too) would tell you that we're getting close and now is the time to buy.  I concede that it may certainly be more difficult for some to sit on a couple thousand dollars in SSDs, but if you can exercise a little patience I can't imagine it going unrewarded very soon.

Welcome to investing period. LOL

For all the posters in here that mentioned they didn't get a chance to pick this up before, pick it up now for your personal collection or for investment.  B/c like others said, this is most likely on it's way out sooner than later.

Glad I never bought into the hype of this as an investment.  Would be difficult to sit on several thousand in SSD's not being sure if they are retired or not.

"Hype", interesting perspective.  They have to fill back orders and it increased by 40-50% in price immediately on ebay and amazon.  How is that "Hype"?

Glad I never bought into the hype of this as an investment.  Would be difficult to sit on several thousand in SSD's not being sure if they are retired or not.

Whether you believed the retirement hype or not, having this set become available once again hurts all LEGO investors.  Having a large exclusive like this retire after a 3 year run would have been a bonus.  Now, this set becomes a huge question mark for some investors and sets a bad precedent for future large(and expensive) set investments.  

• Like 1

i think people are missing the big picture. This set was OOS for what only around 3 weeks and the price on amazon hit around 600. With that said i will go ahead and add another 10 to the already 30 stockpiled. 10211 will be an eye opener for those who have different opinions 

• Like 1

Whether you believed the retirement hype or not, having this set become available once again hurts all LEGO investors.  Having a large exclusive like this retire after a 3 year run would have been a bonus.  Now, this set becomes a huge question mark for some investors and sets a bad precedent for future large(and expensive) set investments.  

Truth. This could be here through the end of the year. This set will do great but it really ties up a lot of money for smaller investors like myself. I'm tempted to get a pair now (I don't have any) but that's dead money for 6 months or longer if I bet wrong.

If your buying 10+ you can afford to take a different view.