10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Trekgate502/cladner,  thanks for the feedback. Was wondering what is the maximum price you would pay now for this set to be a worthwhile investment/or not make a loss if it turns out not be successful?

​I have more than my desired quota of this set. So I won't buy any extra. Eventhough at 200 euro I might be weak and buy it anyways.

The question is... what will R2's role be in the new movie? Will it have its minutes of screentime? Or will it be destroyed in the first 10 minutes of the movie? Something to think about.

​I have more than my desired quota of this set. So I won't buy any extra. Eventhough at 200 euro I might be weak and buy it anyways.

The question is... what will R2's role be in the new movie? Will it have its minutes of screentime? Or will it be destroyed in the first 10 minutes of the movie? Something to think about.

I think R2 will have a big role, like in the other movies. There is no way they will kill off R2D2.

Edited by hendrikdejager

​Where can you get this at 200 euros? Prices are in the region of 270 euros currently!

My take is: check out actual sales before and after the recent trailer and check for spike in this and other models featured like MF, X wing. If R2 spikes more or less than the average take note and act accordingly.

​So what you are saying is that if the price is similar after the trailer, the presence of R2-D2 in the movie will have no impact on price of the set.

Yes, but remember to compare it with what other the SW sets do too and see how many are listed and unsold.

We are still in the hardcore SW geek phase of the hype but these peope are the ones who to tend to have the cash to pay crazy prices for merchandisng. It will take time for the new audience to synch in and I would imagine that a lot of them will be more geared towards the lower priced playsets that will probably sell out at Christmas à la Elsa´s palace.

And forget about what the US market is doing, it has no relevance to us unless you plan to sell over there.  As Cig mentions, R2 can still be had for RRP in Europe in many shops - try finding a MF or SSD (or a TH, HH or GE for that matter) and you will have a much harder time. That, to me indicates that this set has narrower appeal.

Yes, but remember to compare it with what other the SW sets do too and see how many are listed and unsold.

We are still in the hardcore SW geek phase of the hype but these peope are the ones who to tend to have the cash to pay crazy prices for merchandisng. It will take time for the new audience to synch in and I would imagine that a lot of them will be more geared towards the lower priced playsets that will probably sell out at Christmas à la Elsa´s palace.

And forget about what the US market is doing, it has no relevance to us unless you plan to sell over there.  As Cig mentions, R2 can still be had for RRP in Europe in many shops - try finding a MF or SSD (or a TH, HH or GE for that matter) and you will have a much harder time. That, to me indicates that this set has narrower appeal.

I have never seen oneone sold  in a UK shop here ever. So are very lucky indeed

Is 270 EUR crazy price for buying as an investment???

I thought this type of set (UCS exclusives) has potential growth which is usually 2-3xMSRP. So there is a lot of profit o be made even at 270 EUR?

​There is a lot of profit to be made on this set if you buy over MSRP, but it will take longer to make that kind of money. Sometimes it's better to invest in something else than to purchase a set over MSRP. Only time can tell which option is better.

• Like 1

​There is a lot of profit to be made on this set if you buy over MSRP, but it will take longer to make that kind of money. Sometimes it's better to invest in something else than to purchase a set over MSRP. Only time can tell which option is better.

​Exactly...

Just it depends on the set.

R2 will not become much cheaper as it is now. So if you want one for your own collection do not wait any longer. For investment I guess you could take the gamble on R2. But guarantees are given until the front door for this advice.

​Exactly...

Just it depends on the set.

R2 will not become much cheaper as it is now. So if you want one for your own collection do not wait any longer. For investment I guess you could take the gamble on R2. But guarantees are given until the front door for this advice.

​IMO, I would take the gamble and pay over MSRP for this set if I couldn't find it any cheaper. The new SW movies will have a significant impact on all the Star Wars set, new or old, NIB or used, especially the UCS sets.

Not too long ago you could walk in and buy as many as you wanted. Forget this and move on to the other great Star Wars sets!

What a sweet photo.  Brings back so many good memories.

Stockpiling this puppy while everyone said its too small it is not proportional it will be here for the movie they will make another and so on

Sweet...

• Like 3

Being relatively new around here and to Lego investing, this was my first Lego purchase for investment purposes.  I was able to obtain a single R2-D2 while it was darting in and out of inventory at LEGO Shop at Home back in November.  Perhaps I will hold onto it just for the sentimental value.  Of course if it goes over $500 soon, I may throw sentimentality out the window.