Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

Enough with the ethics issues or this thread will be locked and then no one will benefit from useful EXO SUIT info that might be posted here.

Why is that discussion out of bounds when there is constant discussion in other threads about the propriety of various retail strategies? 

I think it would be unwise to return these sets before the Christmas season.  At $35 a pop, it's not a huge risk.  If they end up being duds, post pictures of your massively epic exo-suit army.

It's too much of a gamble for me. It might experience a nice pop at x-mas time, but I'm not convinced that it will and think that there are better places to put my money at the moment.

Why is that discussion out of bounds when there is constant discussion in other threads about the propriety of various retail strategies? 

I think the earlier discussion of returning large amounts of sets is a questionable practice in some member's eyes.  I think the discussion ethics and LEGO investing methods has it's place on this forum.  I will start another thread to discuss this sort of topic.

I think that's a good idea. I've noticed ethics and questionable tactics come up frequently here in threads.  Then people have to be threatened with a ban, or a thread lock.  Having a dedicated area for that is probably the best way to deal with it.  (things that come to mind are supraboy and mark)

I think the earlier discussion of returning large amounts of sets is a questionable practice in some member's eyes.  I think the discussion ethics and LEGO investing methods has it's place on this forum.  I will start another thread to discuss this sort of topic.

Great idea.

Why is it that Amazon and Target are still getting these in but Lego LEGO Shop at Home has been TOOS since basically the start of August correct? Do you think Lego are waiting until closer to the holiday to have them available in large qty so people who missed out on getting it originally (kids, casual lego fans who have seen since the set after release and now want it but were unable to, parents buying gifts, etc.) will then be able to without it selling out?

I just returned 10 of the 20 I had bought. I cleared out 2 stores back in August when it seemed like this was going to be a repeat of the Mars Rover and sightings were scarce. Since then I've seen ample supplies in various TRUs so while I am still encouraged by this set's possibilities, I am not as encouraged as before in the short term and feel 10 is a more appropriate hold for 1-2 years. My usual practice is to buy multiples of sets on massive sale so with no discounts available on this at all, 20 is too big an exception to my rule. 

I'm likely in the "ignorant/blissful" category here but I like this bet. Suum cuique (in investments as in life) so no judgement intended; just wondering what has some BPers spooked about holding EXOs.

Expected long production run (saturate mkt)?

Distant EOL (Time Value $/Turnover)?

Lack of brand (low visibility)?

Gut feel?

Is there a recent example of a Lego Ideas set losing money after EOL?

I'm likely in the "ignorant/blissful" category here but I like this bet. Suum cuique (in investments as in life) so no judgement intended; just wondering what has some BPers spooked about holding EXOs.

Expected long production run (saturate mkt)?

Distant EOL (Time Value $/Turnover)?

Lack of brand (low visibility)?

Gut feel?

Is there a recent example of a Lego Ideas set losing money after EOL?

Personally, I returned 4 nearing the end of the 45 day return policy to free up some $$$ to purchase a vampyre castle. I'm going to build up all the MF sets (minus zombies) and put them on display for the trick or treaters.

TrU isn't losing their money because I'll be buying the VC from them, still a few on the shelf.

Edit: I still have 6 Exos, 1 for personal.

Edited by speedsausage

Well interesting enough the Exo Suit is now out of stock at:

Target, LEGO Shop at Home, Toys r Us, Kmart, Walmart and Amazon.

It is probably temporary and will be back in force but its a nice sign.

eBay is about break even on 34.99 original cost (selling for minimum $49.95).

Hope we get lucky and it stays out but probably not...

• Like 1

Well interesting enough the Exo Suit is now out of stock at:

Target, LEGO Shop at Home, Toys r Us, Kmart, Walmart and Amazon.

It is probably temporary and will be back in force but its a nice sign.

eBay is about break even on 34.99 original cost (selling for minimum $49.95).

Hope we get lucky and it stays out but probably not...

I am going to take full credit for this as today I let my son open one.  Obviously that is what triggered the LEGO gods to put this OOS everywhere.  You're welcome.  

Thank you sroster!

For what it is worth there is about 138 New buy it now Spaceman promo's on ebay.

There is about 133 New buy it now Exo Suits on ebay (and that includes a lot of parts & pieces).

If it doesn't come back before Christmas this thing may not be as over saturated as we thought.

OK those who violently do not agree with this thought, it is a thought, don't be a hater in your response.