Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

What would you guys guess to be the ceiling for a set like this after it has been EOL for 1 year or more? I haven't been around long enough to make an educated guess as to what a ~300 piece, 2 fig unlicensed set would go for. And to sweeten the speculation, let's assume the green spacemen remain unique to this set only.

My guess would be around $125 one year after EOL. Look at the Mars Rover, the lowest one available on eBay is around $90 the last time I checked. It has only been nine months for that set.

My guess would be around $125 one year after EOL. Look at the Mars Rover, the lowest one available on eBay is around $90 the last time I checked. It has only been nine months for that set.

It feels like exo is more available than rover was, so price growth for exo could be depressed by resellers being able to accumulate more. But it will be more clear after Christmas

It feels like exo is more available than rover was, so price growth for exo could be depressed by resellers being able to accumulate more. But it will be more clear after Christmas

It does appear that way. In fact, I think many people piled onto the Exo Suit specifically hoping for a repeat of the Mars Rover -- and the RI actually seems to be the more Rover-like thus far.

It does appear that the exo is more available than the rover, but the Exo Suit has two exclusive minifigures to the set. They are selling at about $13-$15 each. The rover doesn't have any exclusive minifigures. The only reason the set is so high in value so fast is because of the limited availability from the beginning.

Another thing, if you have VIP points to burn, you might want to consider using them now, before double and triple VIP hits in October & November.  The first part of November might also be a good time, since if triple VIP hits, it probably won't be until Black Friday weekend.

@exciter1, i was thinking of using that for holiday part 1. what would be your thoughts on that?

@exciter1, i was thinking of using that for holiday part 1. what would be your thoughts on that?

The reason you don't use your VIP points during a 2X event is the number of of VIP points you receive will be based on the number of $$$ you spend.  If you use $30 in VIP points on a $150 modular, you'll only be spending $120, therefore only receiving 240 VIP points.  If you just buy it straight up, you'll receive 300 VIP points to use later.  That's why I'd use your VIP points now and get yourself 2 promos, the Spaceman and the Chima Fire Bike.

• Like 2

The reason you don't use your VIP points during a 2X event is the number of of VIP points you receive will be based on the number of $$$ you spend.  If you use $30 in VIP points on a $150 modular, you'll only be spending $120, therefore only receiving 240 VIP points.  If you just buy it straight up, you'll receive 300 VIP points to use later.  That's why I'd use your VIP points now and get yourself 2 promos, the Spaceman and the Chima Fire Bike.

That's right! Even though the VIP points aren't a lot of money to be redeemed later, double VIP points is one of the best ways to accumulate points with out spending too much. That's why it is wise to not spend them while double VIP points is going on.

thanks. appreciate your explanation.

Edited by newbie77

exciter1 I am out of likes but I like your explanation thank you a lot.

• Like 1

Guest davewager78

May have been said already, but this is not unethical in my opinion. This is a business. If you get the chance to reverse something you see as a mistake, I would suggest taking it. Still playing by the rules

I agree. I think returning items because you made the wrong buying decision is unethical. I say sell them at break even or at a loss, get most of your money back, and chalk it up to a lesson learned. 

You can even sell them for about a $7 profit after fees through Amazon FBA right now.

I returned all of mine last night.  It's becoming far too widely available to have much value in the near term and is unlikely to retire anytime soon so there's no reason to hold right now.

On whether it is ethical to return sets for this reason... stores offer generous return policies because it encourages people to buy more products from their stores and they factor returns into their business models and pricing policies.  There is absolutely nothing wrong, much less unethical, about using a policy that stores have adopted for the specific purpose of attracting customers and business.

is anyone still tracking the numbers of sets sold/made available (in the US anyway)? are we at 100k yet?

I think the last time the numbers were roughly calculated, it was determined that there were around 30,000 in the US so far. I'm not sure about the number so look through the posts of the thread to see if you can find anything.