Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

Im happy with small profits have to realize these kind of sets arent gona bring the big bucks every time your spoiled now from other sets. I didnt plan on this going to high anyway im gona sell them off at christmas and buy into more bigger sets. Big sets I have for long haul big profits. Small = small profits usually there are few exceptions though lets not get to spoiled.

Well I have 26 of these things.  Thinking about returning 10 to Walmart.

What is your thoughts on this - Return and get out while I can, Hold and worst case flip break even at Christmas or other?

Advice appreciated.

If you have that many, I`d return them and put the capital elsewhere. Seems like the heat has gone out of this set, at least for now, it will likely go up over Christmas, but with the quantity that resellers appear to have, maybe not enough to justify keeping. That said, you may be able to sell them for $50ish over Christmas and make a few bucks on each, got to decide if that is what you want or not. 

• Like 1

If you have that many, I`d return them and put the capital elsewhere. Seems like the heat has gone out of this set, at least for now, it will likely go up over Christmas, but with the quantity that resellers appear to have, maybe not enough to justify keeping. That said, you may be able to sell them for $50ish over Christmas and make a few bucks on each, got to decide if that is what you want or not. 

good advise.

depends on the risk tolerance; space. there is virtually no profit to be made on this set. this has become "the next delorean".

amazon sales are @ almost at/below cost for most sellers.  even @ 50*.85=42.50-9=33.90 and there are already over 91 offers in total.

now there will be people saying there are 300million buyers and profit is to be made. i guess there might be but i am not seeing it in short term.

during holiday if it spikes due to lack of supply but seems like TLG is doing wonderful job of flooding the market via retailers saturating resellers. and come october through end of year they are going to put it back to their website. plus resellers are going to return most of the purchases forcing retailers to discount these. i am guessing that these will be available in future for 20% off ... just like the "delorean"

capital can be redirected and invested somewhere if short of those capital.

Edited by newbie77

this sets been out for 43 days.

i have 40 and will buy another 10.

i bought into this set thinking i would be holding until EOL which will probably be 1 year judging by the delorean which sold out at shop at home today.

its kind of silly to prognosticate about the value of a set that hasn't gone EOL and was available today for like 10 hours from the worlds largest online retailer 4 cents below msrp.

its kinda like saying - hey why hasn't that captain america vs hydra doubled in money yet.

this set is just sulking in the shadow of the RI which is an anomalous event.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 3

I think the issue is that some will degrade a quality set because they can't flip it for a profit before EOL. The Exo Suit will appreciate better than most after EOL, so IMO, it is wise to sit on them.

based on what we have seen so far do we agree that this set is going to be around for sometime and not gone i.e. TLG is going to produce more.

so, what's wrong with the thinking that "it can be bought for 20% OFF" like delorean since it will be around for another year. 

but if one has capital and space then storing and forgetting for 2 years works for decent sets...

Pack them neatly in a large box and put them away.

Thanks to all for the advice.

It looks like some people are clear returns and some are keep & hold.

I will re-evaluate and possibly hold.

For Stephen & all - so you know it is not that I do not have patience in my case, I am stockpiling all kinds of sets (I have not posted a what did you buy in any detail lately) but suffice it to say I am stockpiling a LOT in the last couple of weeks.

The thing is I am trying to have a diverse portfolio - long term hold, medium term hold & short term flip, I approach it from all angles.

So for instance do I stock more of those 6862 sets that are near EOL or stock more of the Exo Suit or buy more Tumbler's or BTTF's tied with the Frozen Friends, Arctic Batman's, GE's, SC's, SSD's and Gamestop exclusives like the Nintendo 3DS XL Nintendo Retro Edition at $200 each.  I made quite a bit off the Zelda 3DS XL shortage last Christmas.

It is not an impatience with the Exo Suit as more of thinking I have other sets that are appreciating better long term.

I am trying to approach is so not everything is long term hold, and in doing that short term profits can help provide for other more long term holds as I go along.

Most people are probably having impatience when you see it, but each persons case on here can be unique.

If only NMM would get us some more deals like he did a month ago (the $25 MK II cranes) we could all be set.  hehehe.

Thanks to everyone for feedback.

i bought into this set thinking i would be holding until EOL which will probably be 1 year judging by the delorean which sold out at shop at home today.

its kind of silly to prognosticate about the value of a set that hasn't gone EOL and was available today for like 10 hours from the worlds largest online retailer 4 cents below msrp.

its kinda like saying - hey why hasn't that captain america vs hydra doubled in money yet.

This is because RI set the bar quite high.

this latest round of Exo posts is another reason why i don't sell on amazon and require a 20% restocking fee on ebay plus buyer pays postage and sets must be returned as sold.

if you buy a set to flip, flip it early. don't wait until the 40th day.  the writing was on the wall to stop flipping after that Ideas blog was posted on Aug 14th.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/17

i would suggest holding on to the sets and flip some at Christmas when the sets are sold-out. 

better yet, hold on to the set for 2-3 years after retirement.

The patience here is crazy as Rockefeller said. I think it's just new users to site. As far as long term hold is concerned as many are talking about and such think about this.... Would You rather have a 100 different sets'' diverse portfaolio'' or 100 fire brigades.....

That's why I only buy a few different sets that are guaranteed winners. But buy many of that set.

Edited by hxckid88

The patience here is crazy as Rockefeller said. I think it's just new users to site. As far as long term hold is concerned as many are talking about and such think about this.... Would You rather have a 100 different sets'' diverse portfaolio'' or 100 fire brigades.....

That's why I only buy a few different sets that are guaranteed winners. But buy many of that set.

Not that your message was to me, but don't count me as a new user or buyer into Lego.  For instance, I bought 30 RI's and 26 Exo's.  Who knew which one would have gone first for sure?  I have won big with the RI's.  I keep stockpiling GE's.  The Exo, well it didn't work out, either I keep them long term or I return them, or flip them to BTTF's, 6862's, Arctic Batman's or something else looking for a 6-12 month flip. I might rather buy and flip tumblers and then buy exo suits later as I want more of my long term cash tied up in more reliable things like the FB's, GE's and SSD's I have.  It is all in strategy and to each his own.  Besides, I have over 300 items in my ebay store.  I like to have large diversity of items offered.  The more items offered the more visitors and repeat visitors to my store from my experience and once there they find something else.  Each person has their own angle and you cannot judge someone as being crazy without knowing the background of their situation.  Some probably are, all are not.

based on what we have seen so far do we agree that this set is going to be around for sometime and not gone i.e. TLG is going to produce more.

so, what's wrong with the thinking that "it can be bought for 20% OFF" like delorean since it will be around for another year. 

but if one has capital and space then storing and forgetting for 2 years works for decent sets...

Exo may be around for a while longer who knows, but both RI and EXO and Ecto 1 are all on the thou shall not discount list. So you will not see them cheaper than MSRP of 19.95, 34.95 and 49.95 respectively barring some gift card deal. Of note however they are the only items on this list without limits specified which is very interesting.  BTTF Delorean is not on this list. 

• Like 2

everyone is twisting or making interpretation that i am against accumulating this set in large numbers because it has not doubled. that's not the case.

my argument is very simple which is if this is going to hang around long enough there will be a discount on this or better buying opportunity will present itself. same as "captain america vs. hydra".

if you don't care about cost basis keep buying keep storing. you don't have to make assumption. also have a limitless supply of capital.

i didn't buy into captain america vs hydra @ 19.99. my cost basis on this set is less than $13. for me cost of entry matters. actually it should matter to any reseller.

Exo may be around for a while longer who knows, but both RI and EXO and Ecto 1 are all on the thou shall not discount list. So you will not see them cheaper than MSRP of 19.95, 34.95 and 49.95 respectively barring some gift card deal. Of note however they are the only items on this list without limits specified which is very interesting.  BTTF Delorean is not on this list. 

do you have the inside information that this is not the DO NOT DISCOUNT list? i don't.

by the way i have bought 10 of EXO(21109) @ 24.99+tax so i know there was discount on this set. yes without gift card.

Wasn't Exo $24.99 at TRU for the first week or so?

As for the TRU 24.99, retailers have been known to discount sets they shouldn't from time to time, WM $150 TB, Target $150 Tower of Orthanc and  Xwing come to mind but I would not count on getting this at a discount regularly thats all.  Though this info is dated, and of course Lego and other retailers can change policies.

everyone is twisting or making interpretation that i am against accumulating this set in large numbers because it has not doubled. that's not the case.

my argument is very simple which is if this is going to hang around long enough there will be a discount on this or better buying opportunity will present itself. same as "captain america vs. hydra".

if you don't care about cost basis keep buying keep storing. you don't have to make assumption. also have a limitless supply of capital.

i didn't buy into captain america vs hydra @ 19.99. my cost basis on this set is less than $13. for me cost of entry matters. actually it should matter to any reseller.

do you have the inside information that this is not the DO NOT DISCOUNT list? i don't.

by the way i have bought 10 of EXO(21109) @ 24.99+tax so i know there was discount on this set. yes without gift card.

Pricing errors don't count sorry.
  • Like 2