Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

Jeff and I have been reading a lot of hate towards members here on other sites the last few days, a lot of it based on the lack of availability of the Exo Suit. Is that our fault? No. LEGO was unprepared for the interest in the set. If you want something in life, make a plan and get it. The people who complained and didn't get a set were not prepared. For months, this was the set that people discussed...on all sites, so there is no excuse. I do feel sorry for the kids who didn't get a chance to buy one, but they will after LEGO releases more.

There is an elitist anti-BrickPicker attitude with some old school AFOLs. Most are hypocrites. They visit this site and care about how much money their sets are worth, yet bad mouth us when we are not there to defend ourselves. I say complain away. The more you complain about our site and members, the more people will find us. As for this set, the intense interest by all...resellers, collectors, kids, whatever...has created a situation where LEGO has to produce more. I am not telling people to not buy them or to buy them, but just be aware that the rabid buying might make LEGO overestimate interest, thus overproduce the set.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

There is no such thing as bad press. Haters gonna hate.

im only catching the tail end of this thread and now i read poeple complaining about not getting any exos!?  geez ... move on people.  soooo whhaatttt that you didnt get any ... look forward to the next "big" thing ...

why dont we get this kind of bitching on the other EOL sets like SSD or MR etc ... just move on and forget about it ... you cant get every set all the time ... thats a fact of reality with lego investing ... my SSD count = ZERO!!  did i lose out?  maybe, but so what!

oh and i did manage to snag myself 15 total exos ... haha ... j/k ... didnt mean to rub it in :rofl:

It all comes down to time.  If someone really wants an SSD now, but chose against purchasing one in the three years or so it was available at retail, then she/he most likely: did not have the money to purchase it; had the money but could not justify the price; was not seriously considering a purchase over this period.  Time did not cause this person to miss out on the SSD.  For the Exo Suit, time was a factor for many willing consumers.  They have a legitimate complaint about the short shelf life (which may soon change).

This thread and the outrage kind of makes me smile because honestly all I am hearing is demand demand demand and well that's the business we are all in. Honestly outrage should be reserved for the seller who is only getting 50 for his set when he could potentially get 70. Everyone was always mad at bill gates and constantly creating demand, but at the end of the day he made money doing something he loved. I think everyone here loves Legos whether it's building them or finding that rare set otherwise we would all be trading boring pieces of paper we never look at or go on treasure hunts for.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

People believe internet hype way too much. If you wanted to invest in this you had to know the window to buy was short. I missed out on rovers because i though they would come back, they didn't oh well. There are lots of other good sets to invest in. If it comes back good, get a few more. Who cares what guys on videos say. It does not mean much. So far Lego plays their cards close to the chest.

I try to be somewhat tactful when I discuss how many sets I buy. It is possible that some members could be less boastful, but the site is about investing and "reselling" so I guess it has its place. The Exo Suit has stirred up some pent up anger and jealousy from certain traditional LEGO fans and collectors. They direct their anger towards our site and members and many of these elitist hypocrites like to preach about resellers as being the antichrists of the LEGO world.

Most of us here are bigger fans of LEGO sets than many who condemn us. It used to really bother me, but after watching the site grow over the past three years, I realize that most LEGO fans have an interest in how valuable their LEGO collection is, regardless if they are resellers or not. People care about their value and how to save a buck or two and that is who makes up our membership, not the vocal minority of heavy duty resellers that sometimes dominate the forums.

The Exo Suit will be back in stock at some point and things will quiet down again...until the next hot set comes along, then all Hell will break loose once again. Hopefully more people will learn from this experience and realize it takes some effort at times to acquire a popular item and to prepare a gameplay to do so.

• Like 4

I am both on and off topic in adding a few thoughts for those people that are upset.

Guess what?  I got 30 RI's and 16 Exo's.

Guess what else?  I am not a big time reseller.

It is a hobby.  I have a lot of fun with it.

Most times I don't get tons of deals.

What do I do with my Lego finds and profits if I am lucky enough to get in on a wave?  I use it to collect for myself, to flip, to long term invest & appreciate.

Why?  To help make money in order to be able to feed my families Lego habits, other toys and not accumulate debt in the process.

For those people who think I acquired too much?

Guess what?

I offered one member on here that I'll sell them a RI at cost + shipping and in fact that I'd probably take a raw loss on it by a few $ to even help them out.

It was for their daughter as a present.

Another brick picker is setting me up most likely with the 3 SDCC Lego mini sets from this year at a very fair price.

Guess what I did?  Offer him two RI's at my cost + shipping and that I'd take a few $ raw loss on it to help him out.

I also just got hit with finding out tomorrow I either have a replacement engine in my relatively new car under warranty or I get an $8,000 bill.

I do not have $8,000 out of the blue to pay for that and it would take a lot more than 30 RI's to cover that after sales, expenses & taxes.

Yes we want to make money.  That is being American.

Yes we take care of our own.

I've already planned to lose real $ on 3 of the 30 RI's that I have gotten.

I care about people.

I do not know what defines a large reseller or someone who thinks 30 RI's of 16 Exo's is a lot.

I have worked very hard constantly monitoring brick picker and many other sites and staying up in the middle of the night to order them.

Yes it is hard work.  But yes I think you'll find many people here have a heart.

I care.  Most do.  Be kind too.  Rewind.  Relax.

Nicely put, sir!! Man, I could only afford to get one of each but that's fine......cause that's all I could afford right now. I give props to the people who were able to get a bunch. Maybe after I build up funds and reinvest I'll be able to accumulate more. It's all good and I'm being patient as well. I don't need or want to get in too deep over my head. Well done everyone. For those who scored, congrats. For those who didn't, keep trying. I didn't get mine at the crack of dawn when these were released. I waited like a week after they were released and I was still able to get my order in......let's see if it actually process though.......

• Like 1

i hope that we can move past the who "bought how many sets" discussion, as will be going around in circles. for of those of you that were here back then it was a similar discussion when TRU had the VC @ $78.

Anyways I really just wanted to touch on what Treckgate posted. there are a lot of very helpful members on this site that will help out other members get a hard to find/in demand set. Darin -and his 40$ MoM come to mind- and now Treck.  This is a great community and if you need a set , try to ask and you might (or not) find someone who will help you out.

Also the trade forum is a great tool to utilize , take advantage of it 

Good luck and happy hunting

• Like 1

I try to be somewhat tactful when I discuss how many sets I buy. It is possible that some members could be less boastful, but the site is about investing and "reselling" so I guess it has its place. The Exo Suit has stirred up some pent up anger and jealousy from certain traditional LEGO fans and collectors. They direct their anger towards our site and members and many of these elitist hypocrites like to preach about resellers as being the antichrists of the LEGO world.

Most of us here are bigger fans of LEGO sets than many who condemn us. It used to really bother me, but after watching the site grow over the past three years, I realize that most LEGO fans have an interest in how valuable their LEGO collection is, regardless if they are resellers or not. People care about their value and how to save a buck or two and that is who makes up our membership, not the vocal minority of heavy duty resellers that sometimes dominate the forums.

The Exo Suit will be back in stock at some point and things will quiet down again...until the next hot set comes along, then all Hell will break loose once again. Hopefully more people will learn from this experience and realize it takes some effort at times to acquire a popular item and to prepare a gameplay to do so.

I go back and forth on the Lego debate all the time. However, things like this going crazy and sets going out of stock, even if by resellers - all of this I still firmly believe is only good for Legos brand.

The more rare things seem, the more renowned they are.

I have gotten big into Board games and I just paid 90$ for a game thats been out of print for years. Is it going to be a better game than others in print? Almost certainly not.

But the rarity just makes me want it more as a collector.

I go back and forth on the Lego debate all the time. However, things like this going crazy and sets going out of stock, even if by resellers - all of this I still firmly believe is only good for Legos brand.

The more rare things seem, the more renowned they are.

I have gotten big into Board games and I just paid 90$ for a game thats been out of print for years. Is it going to be a better game than others in print? Almost certainly not.

But the rarity just makes me want it more as a collector.

I agree. Image and appearances matter. LEGO loves having an item that is rare and wanted and receives a buzz.

It's weird because I called earlier today to change the payment method of yesterday's order. I asked if I could add a 3rd RI and one Exo and both were added without issue, note that both were listed as 'Sold Out' on the website at the time. I must also say I probably was among the 5 first callers today so that could've played a bit in my favor. This was a LEGO Shop at Home UK CS rep as the ones from Spain probably were not in yet.

I went to the lego store in Vancouver and asked the rep if they'll have more exo suits coming in, he said he's not sure but he said for sure they'll have more RIs. Makes me wonder if they know what's going on. Another guy then came up and said, they are both done. Store manager told me to check online as they may pop up once in awhile but they're not sure if there will be another shipment.

He then saw me carrying 5 exo suits and asked where I got those. Told him TRU. My phone buzzed and the buyer was right outside. $500 for five. The hype is definitely here. Friends told me to list on kijiji so I gave that a try and the response was much better than CL.

It's possible that these lego store reps are helping the sales of the exo suit by telling customers that they're done. Wish I bought more on Friday.......I'm also done with my batch.

I went to the lego store in Vancouver and asked the rep if they'll have more exo suits coming in, he said he's not sure but he said for sure they'll have more RIs. Makes me wonder if they know what's going on. Another guy then came up and said, they are both done. Store manager told me to check online as they may pop up once in awhile but they're not sure if there will be another shipment.

He then saw me carrying 5 exo suits and asked where I got those. Told him TRU. My phone buzzed and the buyer was right outside. $500 for five. The hype is definitely here. Friends told me to list on kijiji so I gave that a try and the response was much better than CL.

It's possible that these lego store reps are helping the sales of the exo suit by telling customers that they're done. Wish I bought more on Friday.......I'm also done with my batch.

TRU parking lot, B-Wing pilots are wearing Exo-Suits, it's craaaaazy!

• Like 3

Any smart reseller,  like ex-member Supraboy, would have carried in 10 Exo-Suits to show them what's up.

• Like 3