Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

Jeff and I have been reading a lot of hate towards members here on other sites the last few days, a lot of it based on the lack of availability of the Exo Suit. Is that our fault? No. LEGO was unprepared for the interest in the set. If you want something in life, make a plan and get it. The people who complained and didn't get a set were not prepared. For months, this was the set that people discussed...on all sites, so there is no excuse. I do feel sorry for the kids who didn't get a chance to buy one, but they will after LEGO releases more.

There is an elitist anti-BrickPicker attitude with some old school AFOLs. Most are hypocrites. They visit this site and care about how much money their sets are worth, yet bad mouth us when we are not there to defend ourselves. I say complain away. The more you complain about our site and members, the more people will find us. As for this set, the intense interest by all...resellers, collectors, kids, whatever...has created a situation where LEGO has to produce more. I am not telling people to not buy them or to buy them, but just be aware that the rabid buying might make LEGO overestimate interest, thus overproduce the set.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 2

Not sure how many Lego sets are produced in a run but my latest 21109 Exo Suit has a 1 week diff seal code (21S4) from my initial ones (20S4).

I assume this supports the Brick Bros article (plus Lego showing only "Temp Out of Stock) that more are coming...

On a diff note, it wouldn't suppose me if this set is the first in a new Space Theme. Does anyone know if Peter Reid owns a license around the storyline (he does have a book) or does Lego have free rein?

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

No, presence of 20S4 and 21S4 only means that they were running the production line for two weeks straight (or half one week and half another). If they are insisting on september availability, you will be seeing 36S4 and/or 37S4 codes (let's all pray no R codes)

SSD had 19R4 and 20R4 runs - hardly changed the picture...

Jeff and I have been reading a lot of hate towards members here on other sites the last few days, a lot of it based on the lack of availability of the Exo Suit. Is that our fault? No. LEGO was unprepared for the interest in the set. If you want something in life, make a plan and get it. The people who complained and didn't get a set were not prepared. For months, this was the set that people discussed...on all sites, so there is no excuse. I do feel sorry for the kids who didn't get a chance to buy one, but they will after LEGO releases more.

There is an elitist anti-BrickPicker attitude with some old school AFOLs. Most are hypocrites. They visit this site and care about how much money their sets are worth, yet bad mouth us when we are not there to defend ourselves. I say complain away. The more you complain about our site and members, the more people will find us. As for this set, the intense interest by all...resellers, collectors, kids, whatever...has created a situation where LEGO has to produce more. I am not telling people to not buy them or to buy them, but just be aware that the rabid buying might make LEGO overestimate interest, thus overproduce the set.

But what I ask myself is how did peopel not get the set? I went on a trip to Austria, and a kind guy i met here (Moonwalker) was in Austrian LEGO shop in Wien/Vienna in SCS and he reported to me there were 6 left, when i came there 2 days ago, there were still 6 left and i bought two.... and i went there 9 days after the release!

So I really do not see how people could not get this, to me it seems they did not want the set enough so they did not check enough.

This is why i am in favor for a paid subscription to the site. Much of the talk on here is not investment oriented. Let that be free and the real investment focused content onlt accessible for the annual fee. It will manage that potential negative reputation and still attract new.members for growth. Oh amd the exo suit is awesome. Should do quite well, who cares if they produce one more run.

• Like 3

But what I ask myself is how did peopel not get the set? I went on a trip to Austria, and a kind guy i met here (Moonwalker) was in Austrian LEGO shop in Wien/Vienna in SCS and he reported to me there were 6 left, when i came there 2 days ago, there were still 6 left and i bought two.... and i went there 9 days after the release!

So I really do not see how people could not get this, to me it seems they did not want the set enough so they did not check enough.

In the US, it was different. I went to the Lego store on August 1st and I got the last two Exo Suits in the store. I went a couple days later and there were no Exo Suits and they claimed that they weren't going to get anymore shipments of the set. So the set lasted about three hours in my local store. A good amount of people knew about the set, but most of them were primarily collectors/investors who knew about the set a couple months before hand. The average person who like Lego probably didn't know about the set and were too late (for now).

I understand people - excluding AFOL's - that wanted this set for their kids. After all, this set was available for less than a week, IIRC it went OOS within 40h of being released at LEGO Shop at Home. I think that some parents might have thought 'Oh well, I'll check at the local BM store or TRU and get it immediately' just to find out it wasn't that easy to get and when they went back to order, it was already gone. After all, it was out there for under a week.

Now regarding AFOL's, I can't come up with a scenario where I can justify them being mad at investors for buying this set. I mean, they must've heard the buzz everywhere about this set, what were they expecting? A Death Star scenario where the Exo is around forever? In this case, it was available for nearly a week, they lost their chance, now stop crying foul and move on.

In the US, it was different. I went to the Lego store on August 1st and I got the last two Exo Suits in the store. I went a couple days later and there were no Exo Suits and they claimed that they weren't going to get anymore shipments of the set. So the set lasted about three hours in my local store. A good amount of people knew about the set, but most of them were primarily collectors/investors who knew about the set a couple months before hand. The average person who like Lego probably didn't know about the set and were too late (for now).

Ye but still if you wanted it bad enough you could've ordered it even in US, I only checked LEGO shop (US) twice and i found it once, granted my day hours are different.... but still its not like it was impossible to get it, just very hard.... well I hope they make 1 more run to fulfill all orders + make some extra so that noone will cry :D

And keep in mind that there were 3 "runs" for Rover, even though it was thought to be limited

Rover may have been available 3 different times, but it was always a limit of 1 per person, so trying to obtain multiples was difficult unless you wanted to risk the banhammer.  Target and Amazon never sold the Rover.  TRU had it in very limited supply a couple times and they sold out very quickly.  There weren't very many of those sets to go around in the U.S. at least.  I'm sure the short run and secondary market prices for Rover have helped fuel demand for the Exo Suit and RI.

Rover may have been available 3 different times, but it was always a limit of 1 per person, so trying to obtain multiples was difficult unless you wanted to risk the banhammer.  Target and Amazon never sold the Rover.  TRU had it in very limited supply a couple times and they sold out very quickly.  There weren't very many of those sets to go around in the U.S. at least.  I'm sure the short run and secondary market prices for Rover have helped fuel demand for the Exo Suit and RI.

From the other hand, Rovers were with limit 5 in Europe for weeks. But in anycase, it does look like we cannot really compare neither RI not ES to Rovers - just too many different factors. The only short-term information we have - ES for sure going to be resupplied(TOOS), but not clear in what quantities , and for RI decision is not made so far (Sold Out)

From the other hand, Rovers were with limit 5 in Europe for weeks. But in anycase, it does look like we cannot really compare neither RI not ES to Rovers - just too many different factors. The only short-term information we have - ES for sure going to be resupplied(TOOS), but not clear in what quantities , and for RI decision is not made so far (Sold Out)

Heh - I don't even know if we know that. I am questioning my freaking name in all this mess.

Both are marked as Sold Out at LEGO Shop at Home ES, but today they've made more comebacks than Brett Favre so you just don't know what's going to happen.

If people want to help reduce the amount of hate, they should stop posting about how many sets they were able to get. I can see people getting upset when you read about multiple resellers who are posting/boasting/showing off about buying 50 of these and/or posting pictures of their stacks of these.

Does it really matter to anyone but yourself how many you were able to get?

Of course, LEGO could help with this by just allowing pre-orders of sets. It would give "regular" people a chance to get one at release date and give LEGO an idea of demand.

• Like 2

If people want to help reduce the amount of hate, they should stop posting about how many sets they were able to get. I can see people getting upset when you read about multiple resellers who are posting/boasting/showing off about buying 50 of these and/or posting pictures of their stacks of these.

Does it really matter to anyone but yourself how many you were able to get?

Of course, LEGO could help with this by just allowing pre-orders of sets. It would give "regular" people a chance to get one at release date and give LEGO an idea of demand.

Good luck with that. In my estimation, 30% of posts on BP are people bragging about what sets and how many copies they buy

ETA: heck, look at the PUBLIC poll on top of this thread

Honestly, if people are pissed off about not being able to get an exo suit, they should blame Lego more than anything else.  Whenever a company make something a limited release, it's going to create a situation where you have to be at the store on day 1 to get a copy, and people are going to hoard them for resale.  Even without the existance of this site, there would be people buying up exo suits for resale due to it's supposedly limited nature.

If Lego cared about the average kid being able to get one of these, they'd produce them in greater quanitity.  With limited releases, they're just throwing a big bone to collectors while pissing off their normal fans who couldn't get one.

• Like 3

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but these clowns that go crying about how it isn't fair they didn't get XXX and they should get it handed to them the easy way always get under my skin.  It isn't just LEGO it is everything imaginable, just look on craigs list with posts from people who want something for way below value because they feel it isn't fair the value is that high.  I especially see this with concert tickets.  Hmmm, say I'm a huge NIN fan and NIN is playing a fairly small venue in my city.  Gee, what a surprise it sold out 10 minutes after tickets went on sale!  Well I could have logged in and fought for some tickets with everyone else but no, I instead will post on craigs list NEED 2 TICKETS TO NIN --- NO SCALPERS  I WILL NOT PAY MORE THAN FACE VALUE FOR THESE, SCREW YOU SCALPERS, I AM A REAL FAN! BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Why don't these delusional jackasses go into a Starbucks raising holy hell that coffee beans and water cost only a couple of pennies and they are charging 4 bucks!!!  FREAKIN COFFEE RESELLER SCALPER SCUM!

They have no concept of supply and demand, no concept of capitalism in American society, no common freaking sense.  If you want NIN tickets, get online when they go on sale or pony up the price because YOU SCREWED UP AND DIDN'T GET THEM.  If you want an exo suit you have the right to say to hell with that I'm not paying more than retail on ebay if you missed out.  Just don't do it.  Don't go whining about how everyone else who WAS on the ball and WAS able to get them with (in this case not all that much effort IMO, getting NIN tickets say is much harder.

Sorry, probably off topic.  Needed to get that off my chest though heh.

• Like 2