Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

The only thing I am doing is eagerly awaiting it's arrival and looking forward to building it.

The problem is I'll have to wait around 2 weeks to get it due to super slow shipping to Australia.

It'll be my first space set since the late 80's.

And I'll finally have a spare visor to use on the White Spaceman promo minifig.

I haven't received mine yet, so I can't comment about the shoulders, but apparently that is a weak spot.  FBTB.net has a possible fix.

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/08/04/a-simple-fix-for-the-exo-suit-shoulders/

My son and I built one on Saturday morning and I'm seeing that the connection between the barrels and the inverted dish things are another weak point. We didn't bother with the shoulder pieces.

Sorry if this is off topic, but CNN ran an article this morning about the lab set.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/04/smallbusiness/lego-science-girls/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Interesting quote from a Lego spokesperson:

The set launched on August 1 and was sold out on Lego's website by Monday. The company wouldn't say how many of the sets it's sold so far, but a spokesman said it was "produced in a limited number for select retailers." It's also for sale in Lego store and at Legoland amusement parks and discovery centers in the US and Canada.

Probably applies to Exo Suit as well?

I haven't received mine yet, so I can't comment about the shoulders, but apparently that is a weak spot.  FBTB.net has a possible fix.

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/08/04/a-simple-fix-for-the-exo-suit-shoulders/

Yeah, that seems to be the weakest part of the model.  Fortnuately, it's just a decoration and not something that's structurally important.  With a fix that simple, I wonder why Lego didn't do this?  Those robot arms have absolutely no clutch power with the 1x1 modified plate w/ ring.

I have 4 of these bad boys, I'm hoping I'm able to get a few more.  Did anyone besides emazers get any from TRU?  I haven't been on here much the last couple days, not sure if it ever went fully live on TRU.com.

Yeah, that seems to be the weakest part of the model.  Fortnuately, it's just a decoration and not something that's structurally important.  With a fix that simple, I wonder why Lego didn't do this?  Those robot arms have absolutely no clutch power with the 1x1 modified plate w/ ring.

I have 4 of these bad boys, I'm hoping I'm able to get a few more.  Did anyone besides emazers get any from TRU?  I haven't been on here much the last couple days, not sure if it ever went fully live on TRU.com.

No, these did not show up at TRU since the night of the release.

Small batch showed up at Target yesterday for $5 over MSRP, but still not shipped

Sorry if this is off topic, but CNN ran an article this morning about the lab set.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/04/smallbusiness/lego-science-girls/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Interesting quote from a Lego spokesperson:

The set launched on August 1 and was sold out on Lego's website by Monday. The company wouldn't say how many of the sets it's sold so far, but a spokesman said it was "produced in a limited number for select retailers." It's also for sale in Lego store and at Legoland amusement parks and discovery centers in the US and Canada.

Probably applies to Exo Suit as well?

I get the sense that the Research Institute is a limited set.  There was some controversy about its approval as an Ideas set and I'm wondering if LEGO didn't just throw a bone to some of the complainers to shut them up.  I don't think they would produce this set in mass quantities, knowing that their bread and butter customers...young boys...don't really care about such a set.  Personally, I never really viewed the set in gender terms, because I really liked it before I even heard about the fuss.  

As for the Exo Suit, rumors have been around that it is a limited set and I can totally believe them, but because it is such a dynamic little set and appeals to kids and old Space fans like myself, I can't help but believe there will be multiple runs of this set.

I get the sense that the Research Institute is a limited set.  There was some controversy about its approval as an Ideas set and I'm wondering if LEGO didn't just throw a bone to some of the complainers to shut them up.  I don't think they would produce this set in mass quantities, knowing that their bread and butter customers...young boys...don't really care about such a set.  Personally, I never really viewed the set in gender terms, because I really liked it before I even heard about the fuss.  

As for the Exo Suit, rumors have been around that it is a limited set and I can totally believe them, but because it is such a dynamic little set and appeals to kids and old Space fans like myself, I can't help but believe there will be multiple runs of this set.

say goodbye to the research institute then if it made it on tv and its a one run controversy. i got a couple hand fulls :) being not as popular at first and now made famous is either going to skyrocket in price or "deloreanize"

say goodbye to the research institute then if it made it on tv and its a one run controversy. i got a couple hand fulls :) being not as popular at first and now made famous is either going to skyrocket in price or "deloreanize"

I am not sure it's "one run," but there was and is some controversy.  

Scratch that....I just called my local Lego store and asked if they had either the Exo Suit or Research Institute and they are all sold out.  The guy said he didn't know if they would be getting any more Exo Suits at all since it was a limited run and they might get another batch of RI.  There goes my plan of being easy breezy...........

Scratch that....I just called my local Lego store and asked if they had either the Exo Suit or Research Institute and they are all sold out. The guy said he didn't know if they would be getting any more Exo Suits at all since it was a limited run and they might get another batch of RI. There goes my plan of being easy breezy...........

Buy more from LEGO Shop at Home

Buy more from LEGO Shop at Home

Eh, I would have to spend $75 to get free shipping and if I don't that eats into the profit of the sets.  I just ordered from them yesterday and don't want the Ban Hammer to fall.  I'll wait it out.  I at least got 1 of each, so that's cool.  I'll try again at the beginning of next month......that may be too late but I can live with it.