Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

Is it worth buying the Exo Suits? I can pick up about 30 of them from local stores for ~$20 each, but I'm pretty new to investing in sealed LEGO sets and I'm not really sure how to determine if a set is rare, or will increase in value - let alone how long it will take to do so. Amazon and the US Lego store still have plenty in stock.

In the Exo-Suit thread I said I'd by them up at 50% off.  Even at $20 each, I'd buy up a bunch.  BUT...I'm an experienced investor, and have my reasons (and abilities) for doing so.

Having said that, I don't feel comfortable suggesting that a new investor pick up a bunch of these.  If I were you, asking experienced investors your question, I would suggest holding your money.  There's better places you can put your money, for the reasons others have listed.  As a new investment, this is riskier.

Edited by Alpinemaps

Still showing sold out for me.

Not sure what the eventual demand will be for this, but let's not forget that all of the same things were said about the Delorean - too stockpiled, had to be discounted at LEGO Shop at Home to get rid of them, was still available at Amazon/Target etc after sold out status, etc. It's doing OK now. I'm not buying any more Exos but I think the few I have will do just fine with some patience.

• Like 1

Still showing sold out for me.

Not sure what the eventual demand will be for this, but let's not forget that all of the same things were said about the Delorean - too stockpiled, had to be discounted at LEGO Shop at Home to get rid of them, was still available at Amazon/Target etc after sold out status, etc. It's doing OK now. I'm not buying any more Exos but I think the few I have will do just fine with some patience.

I don't know if you can make the same comparison.  BTTF has a huge fan base

• Like 1

I don't know if you can make the same comparison.  BTTF has a huge fan base

Yeah, not saying that it will match the returns as quickly, just saying the sale price at shop at home isn't necessarily a death knell, either is potential hording. 

Related though, I see a lot of people mention "x" has a huge fan base often on here but I don't know what people base it on. Saying that as someone who is looking at his built Delorean in his office right now. :-)

• Like 1

The DeLorean never was on sale at shop at home when it was available for purchase.  even though the sale price listed was reduced it was sold out on January 17 and at that time the price was still at MSRP. If you read the entire delorean  Thread no one got it on sale for that price otherwise they would been bragginall over brickpicker.  Funny to go back and read all the naysayers saying it was going to take soooo long to hit 80.

• Like 1

The DeLorean never was on sale at shop at home when it was available for purchase.  even though the sale price listed was reduced it was sold out on January 17 and at that time the price was still at MSRP. If you read the entire delorean  Thread no one got it on sale for that price otherwise they would been bragginall over brickpicker.  Funny to go back and read all the naysayers saying it was going to take soooo long to hit 80.

Delorean was  @ 27,99 in US @ walmart for over 6 months and of-course AMAZON during that period price matched. 

I bought 24 at 27.99 via Walmart and Target (not counting redcard). Wish I bought more, of course, but so it goes. Don't think I ever got any from Amazon, oddly enough. Lol

Delorean was  @ 27,99 in US @ walmart for over 6 months and of-course AMAZON during that period price matched. 

and although i was "+ve" that this set would do well but have Never thought that it would reach these prices so soon. i thought they would hit $80+ only around holiday season of 2016. not holiday season of 2015 :) { man have i been so wrong }.....

btw, galerco still has over 300+ remaining. wow! am i speechless or what...(more than 700 sold) in measly few months.

Edited by newbie77
  • Like 2

right -  between Target, Amazon and Walmart they were available for 27.99 for months.  That's where I loaded up.

But they they  weren't available for online ordering at shop at home at a discount like exo-suit was - that's what I was responding to.

Lots of BP'ers reported seeing them in LEGO store for a discount, but that's a big YMMV and you have to drive.  By the time LEGO cut the price listing online (like all the sets that retired at the end of last year), it was already SOLD OUT.

LEGO didn't have to have an online clearance sale to clear stock for BTTF like Exo-Suit.

The demand for the delorean is mammoth.

I hope exo-suit does well - I wasted all my target gift cards from last august $40 Target GC for $30 bonanaza to get 40.

and although i was "+ve" that this set would do well but have Never thought that it would reach these prices so soon. i thought they would hit $80+ only around holiday season of 2016. not holiday season of 2015  { man have i been so wrong }.....

btw, galerco still has over 300+ remaining. wow! am i speechless or what...(more than 700 sold) in measly few months.

I'm not gonna say how long it took me to figure out what "+ve" was...

• Like 1