Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

It's amazing that despite the official "retiring soon" label on this and the EEE, LEGO just can't seem to sell through these.  Can you imagine if the T1 or Ecto-1 had these labels?  

Yep no kidding! Would be gone in the blink of an eye, literally. 

To me, the Exo Suit is what a Lego "bubble" looks like:

Plenty of hungry QFLL tried to cash in, Lego made more, all the investors/QFLLs said "Eff this. It's junk. I can't double my money immediately," and now piles sit and wait for a home. Since it A} isn't licensed (NASA, like the Rover), B} doesn't fit another current theme (outside of IDEAS), and C} didn't have an accompanying media frenzy (ala Research Institute), it's dying a slow death.

I still love it. I have have one built for me and ten in a box waiting. They may never sell, but they are a tiny, tiny fraction of my investment portfolio. I'll hold on to them for future AFOLs to crawl from the dark ages and say, "Damn, I wish I was around when that thing was available at MSRP."

• Like 3

Brickpicker Price graph tells you exactly that about this and RI.

What will be interesting to chart is the onward development - how long will it take for demand and prices to pick up again? This will give us helpful indications for the future.

• Like 1

Looking at the bright side...

Maybe so, LEGO will put it on sale next run... so 20% off, I think they will be gone. If not, good to have it 40% off anyway. Fun build, although I really prefer the original design (but heard it was not as sturdy).

It tells you what the real market demand is for the product when the horde has lost interest and moved on. Real customer demand does not prop this set up whereas T1 for instance still sells out (abeit at a slower rate than before) though the horde got cold feet last year, 

It would really be great to know how sales of PR compare to PS as it can be assumed that, at the moment, the former is mostly being bought by to be built.

It would really be great to know how sales of PR compare to PS as it can be assumed that, at the moment, the former is mostly being bought by to be built.

I really like them both. But to be honest, I find the olive green bricks hard to use to build other building... it's either making something you want to build sort of looks PR-ish or harder to go with other color (or maybe I just didn't find how to make it pretty yet) whereas the brick color of PS are really nice, more neutral to be used in other themes.

• 2 months later...

That shows that the set was overpriced rather than an undesirable set.

You could say that about every Lego set! I question who was able to buy it up so quickly - people with pretty quick reaction time considering it is still part of the working day in Europe. Some Australian members already mentioned buying multiple units which is fair enough as it was the only thing they could buy. I wonder how many went to actual end consumers, though.....

Let´s check back in 12 months and see how this one is doing then.

• Like 1

You could say that about every Lego set! I question who was able to buy it up so quickly - people with pretty quick reaction time considering it is still part of the working day in Europe. Some Australian members already mentioned buying multiple units which is fair enough as it was the only thing they could buy. I wonder how many went to actual end consumers, though.....

Let´s check back in 12 months and see how this one is doing then.

So there are two extreme scenarios: 1. Mostly bought by investors - as an investor you have to buy it as cheap as possible to get good ROI. Personally I don't see any investor buying this at this price to make a profit unless they think the set will appreciate considerable after retirement. 2. Mostly bought by consumers - that means it is very desirable except the price was too much for the size of the set. With this reduction, it would be an impulse buy. Remember you need to buy more than £50 to get free shipping. So most would have bought more than 1 set in any transaction, this set helping to push the total to over £50. I personally think it was option 2.

2 respected active users of this site have already fessed up to buying multiples - how many more lurkers and non BP investors have gone full in too compared with actual consumers?

It´s ther business what they do with their money but this set has had more bubble about it than a jumbo bottle of  Bubbly McBubble extra bubbly bubble bath since day one.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Red 5 is back in stock.

Skip back to page 14 of this thread and you will see that it wasn´t overpriced enough not to sell out within hours of launch on 1st Aug!

If you keep reading from that point on and things get interesting - we see the pre release hype, the euphoria of scoring multiples, the quick flipping money makers who made cash on it in August and then the despair of others as it came back into stock and Lego made enough of them to cover the moon.

There are lots of lessons to be learned from this item.