Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

I'm a sucker for a good Mech and this one fits the bill. I also love the power miners mech I found in a bulk lot from CL and the recent Mech from GS.

But as I have learned in the past, my opinion about a set shouldn't solely drive my decision about whether or not to invest in it.

That being said I still only have a few of these.

Obviously they grossly overestimated demand for this set (no idea why lol) and are stuck with 10k or so. Ouch.

Because the horde clouded the issue and bought lots of them when knew that they would be just one run.

But not only the horde: every buyer did not buy one set, but two.

Two sets meant free shipping here, and a free polybag.

It was obvious too that because of the single run they expected to quick flip their second set.

I'd believe their obvious message to consumers is simply that they are giving everyone who wants one at retail price advance notice. It will be a very short run for a lego set, and inline with other non licensed ideas sets. 

You make it sound like we have a good baseline to compare with. What other short-run, non-licensed Ideas sets are you using for comparison?

Considering how large the fan base for Classic Space is not to mention very vocal about their devotion to these sets of old, I think LEGO overestimated nothing really. They truly listened to the fans and made more than enough units to meet the wants of many. Here they are making the last call for those who have a tendency to put things off until the final minute. Now how many here have such habits with waiting until double VIP points events or scouring for something on Amazon's Warehouse deals or hunting for a deep enough discount at Walmart? These still new tactics of Retiring Soon tags to now this main page announcement of being decommissioned are ploys we think we understand but honestly do not.

• Like 1

You make it sound like we have a good baseline to compare with. What other short-run, non-licensed Ideas sets are you using for comparison?

21100, 21101, 21104 & 41999

The first two might be a stretch to include on this list but they were still short term, non licensed as far as I can tell.

The 41999 was always touted as being limited, but fits in line with being short run non licensed, simply not part of the "Ideas" sub-theme

There simply wouldn't have been another run on this if it wasn't for the insane outcry of the media on RI.  Since both were run together, they just did another run of both is my thought.  Ideas is like a proof in concept machine.  It helps forward the brand and quick runs of items.  If they have legs, then further development would be arranged.

One prime example would be the minecraft line.  

The space Idea theme runs all have been short and sweet that fills the AFOLs slot.  Exosuit is a little more than that and may see another rendition in Space again---or better yet.  Lego Movie 2.  

What I'd be interested in is these vingette sets like RI,  will have another life in the Creator line for 3-in-1 styling options--a meld between minifigure series and creator.

I'd believe their obvious message to consumers is simply that they are giving everyone who wants one at retail price advance notice. It will be a very short run for a lego set, and inline with other non licensed ideas sets. 

Very well might be the case. For those who doubt, please remember the venom spewed at TLG when these sets have short runs and fans don't have fair shot at them as resellers swoop in and devour all the stock. The investing/flipping game has changed for us and we must adapt, but LEGO will be adapting, too. Keeping customers happy is very, very important.

Edited by biking_tiger

21100, 21101, 21104 & 41999

The first two might be a stretch to include on this list but they were still short term, non licensed as far as I can tell.

The 41999 was always touted as being limited, but fits in line with being short run non licensed, simply not part of the "Ideas" sub-theme

21100/21101 were both originally Japan releases, not a good comparison IMO. I am not sure 21104 is not licensed, it has NASA written all over it.

41999? Really?? lol

This set is just like RI in that it has very little risk to it.  Its cheaply priced, is pretty cool and was not available like a lot of regularly produced mainstream sets.  It was only available through LEGO and some dot coms.  It will have been out for a short time compared to other sets as well.

Sure its stacked in LEGO stores right now.  That will change as usual.  

• Like 3

This set is just like RI in that it has very little risk to it.  Its cheaply priced, is pretty cool and was not available like a lot of regularly produced mainstream sets.  It was only available through LEGO and some dot coms.  It will have been out for a short time compared to other sets as well.

Sure its stacked in LEGO stores right now.  That will change as usual.  

if you don't mind me asking how many do you have :D

Just happy that I finally have more RI then Exo.

For awhile I tried keeping equal amounts.  Sold great in pairs for the first few months.  Even when Exo lost interest it forced a higher dollar sale as you couldn't get RI.

Then the last wave of RI I went pretty heavy on those and moved almost all at double retail.

Now building up playing the 2 per WM game lol.

If a better promo was on now it'd be great.  3 Exos and a good $15 promo would get them down to $30.  Unfortunately the driller isn't doing it.   

• Like 1

If a better promo was on now it'd be great.  3 Exos and a good $15 promo would get them down to $30.  Unfortunately the driller isn't doing it.   

Yeah when LEGO Shop at Home forgot to include two drillers in my  last order I almost said, "Ah forget it" but called them up and they shipped them separately.

One for each boy in their easter basket.

It doesn't sound like TLG made "too many" of these as many have said above. It sounds like they came pretty close to meeting demand. Limit of one at full retail on LEGO Shop at Home indicates they are not going to have trouble moving the last of these. TLG did everything right with this set, in my book. I hope to see retirement announcements like this become a trend.

Sent from my XT1028 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 3

Now out of stock at shop lego europe. But still can order with ship date 6th march? Are they making some more?

More produced, more back from B&M lego shops... it's basically the same and the few sets that will be sold up to sunday (and back to be shipped the week after) will not change that much the total of sets already produced.

Edited by biniou