Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

I have never seen bundling of sets work in favor of the seller, but for some reason quite a few people here seem to think it's a good idea. The only way it can work is if you have something extremely limited included in the bundle. Otherwise, the majority of buyers will buy from three separate sellers at a lower total cost than buying the more expensive bundle from one seller. None of the mentioned sets are rare enough to command a bundle premium.

It only works for specific sets, QAR and Black Pearl comes to mind, and then you didn't make more on them but they tended to sell faster. Or if you have a bunch of smallish used sets from the same theme sometimes it makes sense to group them in one bigger listing instead of a bunch of $5-$10 ones. But, for the most part I would agree with you.

I know bundling has probably worked for some people, but is seems a little counter intuitive to me.  I expect a discount if I buy a bundle not a higher price.  I suppose some people pay for convenience.

Generally, I see the two minor benefits to bundling**:

1. To create a separate listing that targets one very specific buyer (a tiny but potentially captive market)

2. To earn the difference between separating shipping costs and a combined BIN listing w/ "Free Shipping" for the bundle. 

That said, bundling is not the panacea of eBay selling.

** I don't consider adding a polybag to a listing as an enticement to purchase as bundling.  I like this tactic conceptually but have a hard time not trying to get going rate for the listing and the polybag separately.

I have never seen bundling of sets work in favor of the seller, but for some reason quite a few people here seem to think it's a good idea. The only way it can work is if you have something extremely limited included in the bundle. Otherwise, the majority of buyers will buy from three separate sellers at a lower total cost than buying the more expensive bundle from one seller. None of the mentioned sets are rare enough to command a bundle premium.

Bundling item sometimes work if you want to dispose low traffic item, i just bundle it with a popular item.

Looks Like I lucked out for getting 5 of these from Tru online for $24.99 at 3am as I just got the email saying they were shipped.

Dear Edward Mazerski,

Thank you for shopping at Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com. We are happy to report that your order has been shipped.

Here is a review of your shipped order:

Item: 19054556

Description: LEGO CUUSOO Exo Suit 21109

Quantity: 5 @ $24.99

Subtotal: $124.95

-------------------------- -------------------------------

Shipping: $0.00

Estimated Tax $7.50

Order Total: $132.45

Your purchase has been sent to the following address:

Edward Mazerski

Hey Edziu, we almost have the same name!  I think we are related.  Don't forget about me at XMAS!

I am sure Jeff loves figuring out the final value of each set that was sold as part of a bundle ;)

Just curious, are bundled sets data included in BF ? Or are they filtered off ?

I'd say that 95% off bundles are filtered.  Newer sets like this will need to be reviewed for a few months,  but then the listings and price settle, so its a lot easier to pinpoint a listing that is above the threshold of the set.

• Like 1

I'm guilty of bundling stuff and yes I do competitively price items, so the bundle is usually a little less than if the buyer were to get them individually. It saves on shipping for me and it's also an attractive option for some buyers.

This makes sense and is what someone expects if buying a bundle. I'm referring to the people who think you can put a couple items together and then charge more than each of those items would sell for individually.

• Like 1

This makes sense and is what someone expects if buying a bundle. I'm referring to the people who think you can put a couple items together and then charge more than each of those items would sell for individually.

Yeah, lots are an effective way of selling sets if you price them accordingly.  You should never expect a "premium" for a lot unless it is something special.

I added the water scooter to the DC towards the end of the holiday shopping season last year just to move that stuff and ride the cash cow wave.

Good for you. 41000 scooter looks poorly designed compared to the scooters already included in DC. I said that last year and stand by that statement ;)

* Usual disclaimer: I have been proven wrong many many times before.

Picked up an Exo-Suit from the San Diego Lego Store today. They enforced the one per. My 6 year old daughter was with me. I asked if she could buy one, and was told that "they don't allow that sort of thing."

I'm not complaining because I can pick up plenty at Legoland when they get them in. And yes, the second one would have been for resale. Just thought he could have been less dickish about it (a simple "one per family" would have been better).

Rant over. I've got my Exo-Suit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Had my gf get me another research institute and exo suit one per house doesn't apply Because we aren't living together gotta stay ahead some how. Can still order 1 of each online to no credit cards used in store. Just cant use vip card. Im not looking to hoard these just want a few extra for down the road. Gf wants to keep a rearch for herself to. Hope discovery gets them and I have a chance to snag a few. By the way Legoland Discovery has been liniti bc purchases now on certian sets and now no more 10% off on exlusives sets including all the sets that even make being a member worth while. I cant even go into discovery center because you need a kid im 21 I dont have a kid waste of 40 dollars is what that card is never paying for a membership to anything again.