Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

So which of u were at the store near salt lake in Utah? I saw about 4 of u that we're looking sneaky. Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I was there yesterday and today.  A Lego Store employee said they sold out of the Exosuit early this afternoon but expected more soon.  I didn't question him because I I figured he probably didn't know any more than I did.

Lego has a bad track record with Lego Ideas sets and selling out super quick. It's literally happened with almost ever limited set they have produced in the last few years. 41999 Crawler, Minecraft, Delorean, Marina Sands, etc., etc. They are feeding the secondary market that they are trying to discourage.

lego 41999 is not Cusso or Ideas. its a technic crawler 4X4 set and it was literally announced by lego that it will be limited 20,000 production with each vehicle having the license plate number as the set number. we all knew they will have only 20,000 of those.

minecraft and delorean may had that initial shortage. but i still don't think it was all because of the consumer driven. we can all agree on the fact that if they only produce lets say 20,000. and US gets 5,000. more than 2,500 is landing on resellers hand. may be more.

over the long run it normalizes once the initial frenzy and resellers hoarding subsides.

from my perspective they are managing it very well given the variation of their sets; line and everything. for that matter they have been able to supply GE even with unlimited buying power of BP'ers.

lego 41999 is not Cusso or Ideas. its a technic crawler 4X4 set and it was literally announced by lego that it will be limited 20,000 production with each vehicle having the license plate number as the set number. we all knew they will have only 20,000 of those.

He knows that he was lumping the 41999 in with the limited sets he also mentioned.
  • Like 1

Lego has a bad track record with Lego Ideas sets and selling out super quick. It's literally happened with almost ever limited set they have produced in the last few years. 41999 Crawler, Minecraft, Delorean, Marina Sands, etc., etc. They are feeding the secondary market that they are trying to discourage.

Yeah, it's kind of ironic isn't it? Sometimes I think Lego aren't as disapproving of resellers as they make out.

1 exo suit 32 dollars and some change after 5 off vip and also 1 research lab 16 dollars and some change after 5 off vip. Scored the exo suit by an employee buddy and lots of luck. These are for my personal Collection. Gonna get a few more not using VIP though or same person. I don't need ban crap I actually like getting early accesses and promotional polys.

• Like 1

1 exo suit 32 dollars and some change after 5 off vip and also 1 research lab 16 dollars and some change after 5 off vip. Scored the exo suit by an employee buddy and lots of luck. These are for my personal Collection. Gonna get a few more not using VIP though or same person. I don't need ban crap I actually like getting early accesses and promotional polys.

Tax doesn't help my situation at all. I'd much prefer no VIP points and no tax instead of tax+VIP points. In the end, I end up paying 5% over retail to account for tax. :(

In my initial post, I didn't say whether or not 41999 was CUUSOO/Ideas or not. I was pointing out limited edition sets that Lego produced that skyrocketed in value as a result of extremely limited production. 

minecraft and delorean may had that initial shortage. but i still don't think it was all because of the consumer driven. we can all agree on the fact that if they only produce lets say 20,000. and US gets 5,000. more than 2,500 is landing on resellers hand. may be more.

Obviously, not all the sets they sold were bought with the intention of being opened eventually. I don't agree with your second statement - that half of the sets people buy in the US are with the intention of reselling. If sellers actually made such a "drop" in Lego's bucket, wouldn't Lego crack down WAY more on resellers? They could essentially ban anyone who bought more than a few of the same exclusive over an indefinite period of time and ban them... And be right about it. Just think... how many builders do you know personally, whether child or adult? 10? 20? Now how many resellers do you know personally? 1? 2? 3? I think because you participate in a Lego INVESTING website, the numbers of sets that people are hoarding can seem exaggerated, and sometimes missleads us to think that EVERYONE buys 15 GE's, 20 DS's, and a multitude of Research Institutes or Exo-Suits. 

over the long run it normalizes once the initial frenzy and resellers hoarding subsides.

Of course it does. They could very well produce all the sets they intended on selling over the next 3 years, and sell out of them all in a week. Any decently intelligent human being could figure out that they need to make more of that particular product. BUT, in the 1-2 weeks that it takes to cope with the demand, prices increase dramatically, often doubling in value in the secondary market. Besides, my initial post was about the sets selling out quickly and Lego underestimating the amount of product they need to manufacture, not the several years that a set will be available at retailers. 

from my perspective they are managing it very well given the variation of their sets; line and everything. for that matter they have been able to supply GE even with unlimited buying power of BP'ers.

Overall I agree. They manage hundreds of different Lego sets a year, and probably only 2-3% of them will go out of stock in the first initial craze. In terms of the "unlimited buying power of BP'ers", I highly doubt Lego cares about us. See above. /end rant

Not sure what the fuss is over one set. Resellers may try to hoard but all this work for an extra $20 is not worth it. This set won't make anyone rich so don't spend your time rotating in and out of the lego store. A few poor souls here really have nothing to do. Quite sad. It's summer time so enjoy the sun.

• Like 1

Not sure what the fuss is over one set. Resellers may try to hoard but all this work for an extra $20 is not worth it. This set won't make anyone rich so don't spend your time rotating in and out of the lego store. A few poor souls here really have nothing to do. Quite sad. It's summer time so enjoy the sun.

For me, I wanted to add some to my inventory for 2 reasons.  One, diversification, as I don't have anything like it yet.  Two, the history of Mars Rover showed the the Exo Suit had potential to quickly double the investment.

I agree that checking on the brick & mortar store daily for inventory wouldn't be worth it at this investment/return level.  But ordering 10+ online from Target with a few clicks?  Sure, why not.

Aside, please don't judge others who choose to spend their time buying LEGO instead of getting a sun tan.  To each his own.

• Like 9

If that's not your style so be it, keep your criticism of other members to yourself.
  • Like 7

Hmmm, you are on page 42 of a thread about a set that "won't make anyone rich" and are calling for people to stop spending their time "rotating in and out of the lego store"... These affirmations must come after reading a lot of posts from other users... Quite conflicting ideas I get about them poor souls.

• Like 1

For me, I wanted to add some to my inventory for 2 reasons. One, diversification, as I don't have anything like it yet. Two, the history of Mars Rover showed the the Exo Suit had potential to quickly double the investment.

I agree that checking on the brick & mortar store daily for inventory wouldn't be worth it at this investment/return level. But ordering 10+ online from Target with a few clicks? Sure, why not.

Aside, please don't judge others who choose to spend their time buying LEGO instead of getting a sun tan. To each his own.

If there is ten on target, why not? But creating multiple accounts just to land one or two more is a bit immature. Some people actually wants to play with these toys and when you have a bunch of resellers hoarding this for selfish reasons, it sucks for the kids.

There are many other ways of making money but to try to find loopholes around a company policy is quite inferior. If the limit is one, grab one and leave. No need to wait for the next shift. Well unless someone's a bum and jobless, that might be worth while. I get paid more than $50/hr so maybe that's why I don't resort to lowlife tactics.

If there is ten on target, why not? But creating multiple accounts just to land one or two more is a bit immature. Some people actually wants to play with these toys and when you have a bunch of resellers hoarding this for selfish reasons, it sucks for the kids.

There are many other ways of making money but to try to find loopholes around a company policy is quite inferior. If the limit is one, grab one and leave. No need to wait for the next shift. Well unless someone's a bum and jobless, that might be worth while. I get paid more than $50/hr so maybe that's why I don't resort to lowlife tactics.

How about we try to be more civil here? There is no need for this

How about we try to be more civil here? There is no need for this

Fine, well, lets all try not to create multiple lego accounts just to nab an extra $20 or so Or rotate around the lego store. I'm sure we might make more rotating around the LV and Gucci store and flipping those handbags on eBay.

• Like 2

366icx.jpg

This whole website is based on hoarding and reselling. What are you trying to do here?

• Like 1

You might want to state your own views and points on people hoarding sets or using way too drastic methods on getting them.

However what is your point on saying you earn more than $50/hr? Are you trying to imply something else? Are you tryimg to state that you are richer than everyone else here?

We are all here in this forum to discuss about Lego, be it investing or a personal hobby. But on how much a fellow BPer's earn is not the point.

• Like 1

I make $50/hr as well but I still spent time buying this at Target online and the Lego Store. That's me and how I like to spend my time. It has nothing to do with how much money a person makes. There's also no need to criticize how others are spending their time. 

• Like 2

You might want to state your own views and points on people hoarding sets or using way too drastic methods on getting them.

However what is your point on saying you earn more than $50/hr? Are you trying to imply something else? Are you tryimg to state that you are richer than everyone else here?

We are all here in this forum to discuss about Lego, be it investing or a personal hobby. But on how much a fellow BPer's earn is not the point.

Some of you may have missed my point. It's fair game to hoard. I'm not saying i am rich. I also hit the buy button on SSDs and GEs on target when they are there at good prices. I just don't resort to other tactics. Some of you may support the creation of multiple accounts and rotating in and out of the lego store. Well good for you. I just disagree with doing such dirty tricks. Why not stand outside the lego store, hand people each $2 for buying the exo suit? That's a better strategy. Then take it to eBay and flip it for $20-$25.

I'm sure someone here will take that idea and stand outside with stacks of cash ready to make a few kids happy by handing out free money. While you are doing that, you can also list more than 10 available on eBay.