10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

This set was knocked back into "Temporary Out of Stock" status from today's 2xVIP.  Considering this set just came back a month ago on lego LEGO Shop at Home and was bounced back quickly, I think we have our first official retirement dance member.  It will probably come back again, but I'd be shocked if these are around much longer.

Great set, but overly hoarded....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

This set was knocked back into "Temporary Out of Stock" status from today's 2xVIP.  Considering this set just came back a month ago on lego LEGO Shop at Home and was bounced back quickly, I think we have our first official retirement dance member.  It will probably come back again, but I'd be shocked if these are around much longer.

Great set, but overly hoarded....

I don't hoard much of anything, and even I have 4 of these........just saying

• Like 5

i wasn't going to invest in this one due to it being too saturated, but i got a deal for 130 euros at a store  . Do you reckon it might be worth it ?

You will probably get your money back and even make some, but the question is how long will it take (due to the market saturation). Just my thoughts.

8 hours ago, wolfenn said:

would double the price in 3-4  years be a realistic expectation ?

Take a look at the price evolution of 10197 FB and10211 GE, consider how long each set was out for and how many investors/buyers were in the market  and you will probably be able to draw your own conclusions.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Val-E said:

Take a look at the price evolution of 10197 FB and10211 GE, consider how long each set was out for and how many investors/buyers were in the market  and you will probably be able to draw your own conclusions.

And don't forget to consider how many more players have entered the market since these ones retired.

On 13/08/2016 at 6:24 AM, wolfenn said:

i wasn't going to invest in this one due to it being too saturated, but i got a deal for 130 euros at a store  . Do you reckon it might be worth it ?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy at least one set for €130! Whether it will double in value after three/four years remains to be seen...

I remember though last year around October when Pet Shop went out if stock everywhere and rumours were flying high that it was really getting retired, that prices at second hand selling sites went up immediately. Despite it being hoarded for years, after people think it's done, there are always more who regret not buying it when they could. So I'm not worried you can't make a profit on it, when you buy below RRP.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Haay said:

I wouldn't hesitate to buy at least one set for €130! Whether it will double in value after three/four years remains to be seen...

I remember though last year around October when Pet Shop went out if stock everywhere and rumours were flying high that it was really getting retired, that prices at second hand selling sites went up immediately. Despite it being hoarded for years, after people think it's done, there are always more who regret not buying it when they could. So I'm not worried you can't make a profit on it, when you buy below RRP.

Do not mix-up asking prices with real sold prices. When a set (especially exclusives) is rumoured to be retired people jack up the prices. But that does not mean it sells for that price. I think with PS it takes a long time before it makes some real money. I am sitting at 7 of these and regret buying them. It has just taken too long for the dang thing to retire. Last year would have been too late already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ciglione said:

Do not mix-up asking prices with real sold prices. When a set (especially exclusives) is rumoured to be retired people jack up the prices. But that does not mean it sells for that price. I think with PS it takes a long time before it makes some real money. I am sitting at 7 of these and regret buying them. It has just taken too long for the dang thing to retire. Last year would have been too late already.

This is where I find trading as a decent option if you do get stuck with something that you feel you may have overbought and prices stagnate.  There is no reason to think that you wont be able to have a decent asset in the Pet Shop that can be used as a decent set for trading.  I wouldn't worry in that regard.  Where I would have a little concern is making 2x within a few years.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdenmier said:

That's weird...even though this is still available at LEGO Shop at Home, Amazon is out and briefly listed it as "LEGO Creator Pet Shop 10218 - Discontinued by manufacturer."

I don't think I've ever seen them put that in the title (even though it doesn't show up as that anymore).

I noticed that "Discontinued by manufacturer" on a couple of my Amazon listings today....  UN Headquarters, Fallingwater, Camper Van, R2-D2 (all of which are retired sets)

• Like 1