10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

4 minutes ago, Haay said:

Of course. And prices even within Europe vary widely. For example 40138 Christmas Train is regularly sold on eBay for an average of €25, when looking at completed sales. But it's pretty difficult to sell it for even €20 on Marktplaats in The Netherlands. 

Generally that has 2 reasons. 

1. You have to concider ebay and paypal fees on 15%. 

2. Dutch people are mostly very green.

16 hours ago, dcdfan said:

Good grief! So, now I've been wrong twice...? LOL!

You're right. I'm not wrong.

Reading how you actually confirmed the correction totally confused me. I was wondering if there'S some joke involved that I don't get.. Or if there's a new consensus around here that modulars are supposed to retire after 3 years.

17 minutes ago, makromizer said:

Reading how you actually confirmed the correction totally confused me. I was wondering if there'S some joke involved that I don't get.. Or if there's a new consensus around here that modulars are supposed to retire after 3 years.

What consensus? Since Town Hall nobody knows exactly what the new retirement process is.

45 minutes ago, makromizer said:

In the last, the vast majority of sets retired on a fairly predictable schedule.  Now Lego is unpredictable.  Most think the driving force is global sales (and contract terms for licensed stuff) .  Main problem is that folks starting buying up huge amount of slowing sets that prob gives Lego a false indicator that some sets are good sellers with consumers.  Town Hall retired after only 2 years because it was a slow seller and the hoard didn't have time to stock up on it (thinking they could do it in another year). 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, makromizer said:

GE 2010 thru 2014 = 4 years.

PS 2011 thru 2015 = 4 years

TH was the most expensive modular & lasted 2 years

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

In the last, the vast majority of sets retired on a fairly predictable schedule.  Now Lego is unpredictable.  Most think the driving force is global sales (and contract terms for licensed stuff) .  Main problem is that folks starting buying up huge amount of slowing sets that prob gives Lego a false indicator that some sets are good sellers with consumers.  Town Hall retired after only 2 years because it was a slow seller and the hoard didn't have time to stock up on it (thinking they could do it in another year). 

I didn't actually believe that it's commonly assumed that they will retire after 3years. I was just wondering why when someone mentions retirement after 4 year, then someone else corrects him and says 3 years, the initial person accepts this as a correction to a seemingly obvious mistake.

But it was more of a somewhat confusing and funny situation rather than getting any new insight about retirement cycles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, makromizer said:

. I was just wondering why when someone mentions retirement after 4 year, then someone else corrects him and says 3 years, the initial person accepts this as a correction to a seemingly obvious mistake.

it is just how some folks on here are.  everyone has their own way of communicating when trying to be helpful :)

14 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

it is just how some folks on here are.  everyone has their own way of communicating when trying to be helpful :)

I would like to say, they had the same goal when participating in threads, which is to post content that will help the Brickpicker LEGO community.

• Like 1

wth is this set doing in stock everywhere on Thanksgiving on year 4 of life???
35 days from now we're going to have 5 modulars and a GBHQ for sale (plus Simpsons House, KEM)?  
that's a lot of expert buildings.
things (hopefully) will get interesting soon.  its been a snoozer so far. 

25 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Until they decide it just sells too darn well and retire pc or pr

PR and DO unlikely - top selling sets pretty much always on the best selling page also with a higher price point.

PC - that would be sweet - i hit goal of 20 a while ago.

PS - no new box.  it is going i think its just that the horde got bored and current gen of AFOL's needs have been saturated by ready availability.

maybe if we just keep posting on this thread, we can will its retirement.  

close your eyes & visualize. a fog.

diffuse orange/red bathing you before the fog lifts and 7 sharply defined letters are burned in your minds eye.

SOLD OUT (i wish)

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

On 25-11-2015 16:41:27, Ciglione said:

Generally that has 2 reasons. 

1. You have to concider ebay and paypal fees on 15%. 

2. Dutch people are mostly very green.

Also, selling prices are sometimes hard to compare. Whilst Ebay and Amazon do get higher selling prices than smaller expert trading sites, there's the aspect of including/exclusing shipping too. 

This isn't the year to sell the Christmas HTrain btw. There's a limited supply, so every box opened in 2015 will help move op the price point end of 2016/17 when they have become scarce. 

Selling stuff at a time that everybody else is doing the same isn't a smart strategy. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ZULU said:

Also, selling prices are sometimes hard to compare. Whilst Ebay and Amazon do get higher selling prices than smaller expert trading sites, there's the aspect of including/exclusing shipping too. 

This isn't the year to sell the Christmas HTrain btw. There's a limited supply, so every box opened in 2015 will help move op the price point end of 2016/17 when they have become scarce. 

Selling stuff at a time that everybody else is doing the same isn't a smart strategy. 

In my limited experience, I have not found the holiday freebies to appreciate at a rate that would make me want to store them for a whole year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bricketycricket said:

In my limited experience, I have not found the holiday freebies to appreciate at a rate that would make me want to store them for a whole year.

thats true for me as well. Just sell them as fast as you can or wait for 2 years to get the same price. Maybe they will appriciate more after but thats not worth the wait.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bricketycricket said:

I concur. I sold my two gingerbread houses off for $49 shipped and most my trains at 40+. Last year's toy shop can be had for less than 40.