10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

Has been for 2 days now. Ideally that backorder date will get pushed back and move to call to check, otherwise it seems this old friend will be around for another year.

Quite amazing that the EU horde has only been able to put Villa Savoye EOL during VIP points and train.....

Has been for 2 days now. Ideally that backorder date will get pushed back and move to call to check, otherwise it seems this old friend will be around for another year.

Quite amazing that the EU horde has only been able to put Villa Savoye EOL during VIP points and train.....

The EU horde is more like a handful. But we are currently recruiting. LOL

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

I'd say another substantial problem for the EU horde is that the average living space here is a lot smaller than in the united states.

For me the room is more a problem than the money.

• Like 4

I can imagine that LEGO is starting a "out-of-stock" policy for certain sets after they've sold a certain number of them.

This does not have to be connected to 2xVIP but also to other shortages they know might happen.

Considering this to be a marketing strategy is probably the best idea.

I'm not sure how LEGO thinks about this but as every good business I'm sure they want to be able to control their logistics as much as possible. New masses of resellers surely are a problem from time to time which they need to control somehow without decreasing the value of their product. This might be the way they're doing things now and it's probably not a bad one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my 3x PetShops on the 6th November online, the limit at this time was 5 sets. After the sets were back in stock on 13.11. I called Lego Hotline because my order starur were OOS but in the shoo the PetShop appeared orderable. The nice lady on the phone managed it and said that I get my 3x PetShops because I ordered when the limit was higher!

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

So what gives with this set? We're practically in December and it's still available everywhere. 

How will this affect everyone's investment strategy if it stays another year? I have purchased all my PS in the last few months thinking it was gone for sure. I'm starting to wish I had put that money in more ToO, SC and Red 5. Modulars had been my largest investment but that's going to have to change. 

And still, when it was OoS in LEGO Shop at Home EU during the first few weeks of October, and rumours were strong that PS was done for, the prices on the Dutch version of Craig's List (Marktplaats.nl) started rising immediately. Sure, PS won't grow like CC, GG, FB and TH, simply because the supply vs demand curve is very different. But increase in price/value it definitely will.

15 minutes ago, Haay said:

And still, when it was OoS in LEGO Shop at Home EU during the first few weeks of October, and rumours were strong that PS was done for, the prices on the Dutch version of Craig's List (Marktplaats.nl) started rising immediately. Sure, PS won't grow like CC, GG, FB and TH, simply because the supply vs demand curve is very different. But increase in price/value it definitely will.

Yeah... but there is always a big difference between asking and getting. 

18 minutes ago, marcandre said:

How will this affect everyone's investment strategy if it stays another year? I have purchased all my PS in the last few months thinking it was gone for sure. I'm starting to wish I had put that money in more ToO, SC and Red 5. Modulars had been my largest investment but that's going to have to change. 

I wouldn't lose hope yet.  I recently sold a GE and netted $110 after fees and shipping.  My buy-in was $160 sixteen months ago. That's still a pretty solid rate of return if you ask me.  I passed on buying more late last year so my CAGR would have been even higher if I sold those now.  Fire Brigade continues to do well, too.

I'm expecting the Pet Shop to sell out in December and hopefully never come back.  If they continue to produce it in 2016 I will be very disappointed.

As for TOO, SeaCow and Red 5.  Those will be interesting because there has been ample time for resellers and investors to load up on those.  They didn't poof quickly.  Then again, Asylum vanished overnight and hasn't done well so that's not always the best indicator.  A great set speaks for itself, regardless of the hoarding (R2 10225, for example).

Personally, I like Red 5, Pet Shop, Sea Cow and TOO in that order.  This is a fun game we all play, isn't it?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

If it follows the pattern, it should go in December...

Brickset data:

GE - 03 Mar 10 - 05 Oct 14
PS - 12 May 11 - now

if it followed the pattern it would have retired last year.

11 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Yeah... but there is always a big difference between asking and getting. 

Of course. And prices even within Europe vary widely. For example 40138 Christmas Train is regularly sold on eBay for an average of €25, when looking at completed sales. But it's pretty difficult to sell it for even €20 on Marktplaats in The Netherlands.