10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

Yes, I think you're right. It's been out for too long and too (geographically) wide for this set to be scarce enough for a big price increase after EOL. The earliest Advanced Modular sets weren't released in Europe (as far as I can tell from Brickset), so with limited availability and increasing demand from collectors their prices have surged. 

And I already missed too many Advanced Modulars to even contemplate on getting the entire street. Missing out on Pet Shop isn't the end of the world. I'll just make sure to get PC, PR, DO and BB (next year) and go from there. :)

Speaking of Brick Bank (BB)... Just read that the LEGO Shop at Home price in The Netherlands will be an outrageous €169,99 which is ridiculous compared to the much more acceptable €149,99 the Germans will pay for it. :( 

This price difference has its roots in the ancient trading rivalry between King Viking of Denmark and an ambitious merchant known to history only as The Dutchman.  The Germanic kingdoms intervened on behalf of King Viking; hence today's preferential Lego pricing for Germany.  Old grudges die hard.

• Like 4

It's rather annoying that as soon as UK/EU double points starts, PS goes "Temporarily" OOS. If I was being cynical I would say it will come back on the 1st November.

That's really annoying indeed! Even more annoying is that PS is also OOS in the US/Canada, but they still have the order-button available, while here in Europe the order button is gone.

Apparently Brickset considers Pet Shop over and done with for Europe while still available in US and Canada:

PetShop Brickset.png

That's really annoying indeed! Even more annoying is that PS is also OOS in the US/Canada, but they still have the order-button available, while here in Europe the order button is gone.

Apparently Brickset considers Pet Shop over and done with for Europe while still available in US and Canada:

I believe Huwbot just scraps the data from S@H and then posts it on site. There is no thought put into it. It can change daily I believe.

• Like 1

True, I have seen the link vanish before. Indeed it;s the same for the TB at the moment.

How accurate do we think Brickset is?

Regarding stock levels? Good question Pet Shop has been TOOS for a few days and yet stock levels according to Brickset are high. I know that Toys R Us, Smyths and John Lewis have all had restocks in the last couple of days. My guess is Lego are holding back stock.

Edited by Crustybeaver

Especially as its apparently in the US latest catalog. I have not seen a UK one yet. Lego used to post them to me, I have not received one this year. Maybe they think I'm a resller :P

I'm going to a Lego store this weekend. Often LEGO Shop at Home has been OOS but the stores still have them.

Next question, slightly off this topic, do we know if they will be offering the Holiday train to UK/EU soon?

Especially as its apparently in the US latest catalog. I have not seen a UK one yet. Lego used to post them to me, I have not received one this year. Maybe they think I'm a resller :P

I'm going to a Lego store this weekend. Often LEGO Shop at Home has been OOS but the stores still have them.

Next question, slightly off this topic, do we know if they will be offering the Holiday train to UK/EU soon?

I just received a catalogue this morning actually, and the Pet Shop is still in there. It also says the Christmas train is coming to the UK October 22nd-November 20th for orders over £50. :)

• Like 1

Ed has stated that Lego are changing the way they maintain/retire stock. It would appear that no longer are sets having predefined EOL dates (T1 and DS are examples of sets that have prolonged their life expectancy) The catalogue was most likely compiled months back so I don't think its presence has any reflection on whether it goes or not. After all wasn't the SSD still in the US catalogue long after the stock dried up?

Ed has stated that Lego are changing the way they maintain/retire stock. It would appear that no longer are sets having predefined EOL dates (T1 and DS are examples of sets that have prolonged their life expectancy) The catalogue was most likely compiled months back so I don't think its presence has any reflection on whether it goes or not. After all wasn't the SSD still in the US catalogue long after the stock dried up?

I believe the Research Institute was in the catalog as well. The catalog is not any real standard to go by because half the sets aren't even in it. Remember, it's a "Holiday" catalog. Come the new year, it's onto a whole new one. Many sets retire during the "Holiday" season annually, so a set like the Pet Shop or other exclusive might not see the new year. The next few months will be a good indicator as to how much LEGO has changed their historical tendencies.

I believe the Research Institute was in the catalog as well. The catalog is not any real standard to go by because half the sets aren't even in it. Remember, it's a "Holiday" catalog. Come the new year, it's onto a whole new one. Many sets retire during the "Holiday" season annually, so a set like the Pet Shop or other exclusive might not see the new year. The next few months will be a good indicator as to how much LEGO has changed their historical tendencies.

Research Insitiute? Did't that go EOL this time last year?

and there you have it

well I guess we got the confirmation that they read the comments in this forum, so back to the game as it was before. In my opinion it is better (at least for me), because with the stock tracker it is more predictable when a set could go EOL, so smart people would order when the stock level hits low regions. With the old way it is harder to predict things and better for expierenced buyers..:angel:

• Like 1

well I guess we got the confirmation that they read the comments in this forum, so back to the game as it was before. In my opinion it is better (at least for me), because with the stock tracker it is more predictable when a set could go EOL, so smart people would order when the stock level hits low regions. With the old way it is harder to predict things and better for expierenced buyers..:angel:

Yes... and less demoralizing. I really got anxious and miserable when I saw the latest restock of +1000 on PS.

We can still make estimates based on the last stats! I was 2 days out with DS....