10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

Did GE and TH go to TOO or straight to sold out?

They went to sold out, and i think TOO(S?) is a new thing in this case.  This is chaos at its best.

We have seen sets like Pirate Chess go TOOS and come back, SW is TOOS and we know its coming back.  But I am not sure we have enough history to know what will happen here.  Simpsons House has been TOOS for a while, and makes sense, depending on kwiki mart sales, that it may return once production capacity allows.  However PS is a whole new wrench in the cogs.  It could just mean they do not have the capacity to produce them with Christmas and SW:FA and everything else going on right now.  If this is the case they may just put it on a 6 month hold and bring it back early next year.  Or they may be intending on retiring this year, but want to try and get another run in before then.  Or it may be gone and they are just screwing with us....

will have to keep an eye other exclusives that are likely soon to be retired (ToO, TB, EW, Sea Cow) and see if any of these go TOOS. or just hit sold out.

It's at Available status in the UK shop at home. 

Plus there were still on the shelves last week when I visited a store. 

They are in LEGO stores around here (boston) as well at the moment.  Guess its grab it if you have not hit your quota because who knows....

Edited by jay4e

Not sure how much to weigh it but one of the more senior employees at a Lego store told me yesterday that they have a huge batch of PS coming in over the next month.  That would explain why after I picked up one they still had 9 minty boxes sitting on the shelf lol - 24R5 BTW.

Anywho, mine it already opened and in the process of assembly by the kids so EOL didn't matter with this purchase.

Edited by colossus

You know what, at this point I'm considering selling my 4 PS for MSRP just to get off this ride. They obviously have some sort of attachment to this set. Maybe because a pet shop is a very generic and ideal purchase for families to have. Maybe in part due to investors. It's obviously heavily hoarded. GE is less hoarded and it barely doubled in almost a year. It's interesting too, because a poll a year ago had GE as a favourite modular, and PS as a least favourite. I think PS is unlikely to double in 1 year, if it even retires in the next 1 year. I know it's been out 4 years, but still, it seems LEGO does this with certain sets sometimes. Just speculating, but I think it's at least a coin flip, and I'd almost rather just get out and have more peace of mind. Thinking...

Yikes that comment from LEGO Shop at Home is no bueno!  I have no idea what to think anymore!

Perhaps one small saving grace for Pet Shop, like others have mentioned, is that you can build row houses with the brown section and mirror build Pet Shops look decent.  Unfortunately this aspect will likely only appeal to a very very small percent of folks buy these years from now.  

Me personally as a collector mostly I have 1 built,  anew one in a mint box(likely to give to my future children), and I ordered one from Walmart just now for my second build for the MOC above since I am at my limit of 2 at LEGO Shop at Home.  I am probably being waaaay over cautious ordering the 3rd right now but just in case I am wrong it will provide some peace of mind for me.

This is definitely an indication that Lego is becoming more reactive towards the buying behavior of resellers. As long as we keep buying them, they'll reserve some production capacity to make more of them. It's probably one of their more lucrative SKUs that they are producing right now so why stop now? It's worth firing up the plant for a day to produce a couple of thousand of them. 

wanting to get rid of or buy none at all of a set that has been selling for close to 1.5x retail off and on for the last 6 months.  Hmmm.

yeah you could clear RRP (after shipping and fees) on ebay by selling now.  thats assuming you paid RRP, most would probably clear 10-20% when you factor in GC and Promos.  PS wont see TH returns, but it will likely see GE or better.

You know what, at this point I'm considering selling my 4 PS for MSRP just to get off this ride. They obviously have some sort of attachment to this set. Maybe because a pet shop is a very generic and ideal purchase for families to have. Maybe in part due to investors. It's obviously heavily hoarded. GE is less hoarded and it barely doubled in almost a year. It's interesting too, because a poll a year ago had GE as a favourite modular, and PS as a least favourite. I think PS is unlikely to double in 1 year, if it even retires in the next 1 year. I know it's been out 4 years, but still, it seems LEGO does this with certain sets sometimes. Just speculating, but I think it's at least a coin flip, and I'd almost rather just get out and have more peace of mind. Thinking...

yes - i think you should definitely sell all your 4 PS @ MSRP and get off this ride.

unnamed.jpg

• Like 3

You know, if you take the legos out of the boxes, you can build a wall twice as big!

legos - isn't that the most populous city in Nigeria ?

if i open these how am i going to pay my 6yo's sophomore year in college tuition?

actually this what I was planning on making when i open up and sort out all those Pet Shops (which by the way have the highest partout value of any recent modular)...

taylor-swift-800.jpg

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2