10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

According to a Lego employee I just talked on the phone, the PS will come back. It's very popular and Lego will put it into another packaging. Perhaps the same like the PR? In that case.. the PC will remain as the only modular packed in a large box.

According to a Lego employee I just talked on the phone, the PS will come back. It's very popular and Lego will put it into another packaging. Perhaps the same like the PR? In that case.. the PC will remain as the only modular packed in a large box.

Lego reps have it in their system the retirement date for PS is end of 2016 and PC end of 2017. Whether it remains that way or not I don't know but that is what corp is feeding them at the moment - no modulars to retire in 2015. This does make sense as 2 were retired in 2014 and it does line up with the current buying limits on LEGO Shop at Home USA. As always TLG can change their minds about production at a few stages throughout the year. A new box size for PS will certainly add to the plausibility it is going to hang around through 2016. I hope it is true as I wan't to see if box size/version will play any role at all in aftermarket pricing and demand. Should be interesting. 

• Like 1

Lego reps have it in their system the retirement date for PS is end of 2016 and PC end of 2017. Whether it remains that way or not I don't know but that is what corp is feeding them at the moment - no modulars to retire in 2015. This does make sense as 2 were retired in 2014 and it does line up with the current buying limits on S@H USA. As always TLG can change their minds about production at a few stages throughout the year. A new box size for PS will certainly add to the plausibility it is going to hang around through 2016. I hope it is true as I wan't to see if box size/version will play any role at all in aftermarket pricing and demand. Should be interesting. 

Yes, that would mess with the LEGO secondary market big time.  What's next a new box for the Tower Bridge?

Are you saying that you're using your neighbor's house as another storage option? I'm running out of storage space and have actually asked my friend if I could store some in his garage...half jokingly.  :wink:

Nope, we like to play London Bridge is falling down.  :scare:

• Like 1

I'm supposed to believe that Lego is going to take a set in the last year of its life and repackage it, but leave the similar-sized and younger PC still in production in the big ol' box, because why exactly?  This is more silliness.  Toos status I trust as an indicator of retirement, whether in EU or stateside.  But a sudden, inexplicable urge to repackage the PS?  Give me a break.

• Like 4

Everyone is ordering so many pet shops right now that Lego has started another production run. If the demand is high enough, they will keep it going.That is at least the indication I received from talking to Lego the other day about my order pet shop order...

I know another run isn't good for retirement, but it's good news to me since I haven't acquired the amount of sets I want yet.

Looks like it gets one more run in the states, or it could just be that it takes awhile to ship the sets over from Europe on the Lego Maersk boats.

Just to be clear, my skepticism about this report is directed at the Lego employee who provided it, not the brickpicker who posted it here.  It's always helpful to know what Lego employees are saying, even if it doesn't make any sense.

Looks like it gets one more run in the states, or it could just be that it takes awhile to ship the sets over from Europe on the Lego Maersk boats.

Over the last year I've been following Lego stock to some extent, it seems when something major happens in one country/region it happens in another shortly thereafter.  SSD went TOOS and sold out in the US before Europe.  AA went sold out in Europe a week or two before US.  R2--I can't remember exactly but one region went to sold out before the other--I think US before Europe, but I'm not sure.  GE sold out in US before Europe IIRC. 

So, in short, this development in the UK is probably not something to ignore if you still want a Pet Shop IMO.