10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

Agreed, no guarantee - but to step out on a limb like this (when you have never done it before), would be a big risk (unless you really knew).

Yes...It is stepping out on a limb.  I just hope that the limb is a low one.  LOL

Sets seem to retire in waves.  We just finished with one.  There has been a lot of talk recently about a bunch on sets, yet they are still hanging around.  

So are they saying that every set will eventually retire? Say it aint so!!!

With the pet shop, it seems odd that within a month or two of Town Hall retiring, this would be retiring soon.  It wouldn't exactly surprise me, but it is odd timing.  I think this set will be sticking around until early next year.

So are they saying that every set will eventually retire? Say it ain't so!!!

With the pet shop, it seems odd that within a month or two of Town Hall retiring, this would be retiring soon.  It wouldn't exactly surprise me, but it is odd timing.  I think this set will be sticking around until early next year.

I think we will at least hear rumors about the next modular before this one is gone. Just like DA and TH.

I'd always like to see a bit more detail in these predictions from 'experts'.  Something like 'Seal code 05R5 will be the last one seen in North America, and you can take that to the bank'.  'About to be retired' could, if you're defending your prediction in hindsight, mean anything from this month to this year.

I will give Brick Show some credit on the 'Death Star life extension' prediction they made in the middle of last year.  I really thought that set was done last summer, but they just keep comin'.

So are they saying that every set will eventually retire? Say it aint so!!!

Given that TH's retirement did not follow any established pattern, I think that it's difficult to draw in conclusions based on it.  If I had to guess, I'd say that PS will disappear completely in late summer or early fall with the exception of a few popping up here and there on Amazon.  This is pure speculation, but is based on the fact that FB retired 2 years ago, GE retired 1 year ago, and before the botched run of FBs back in 2011 (or was it 2012), one modular would retire every year.

• Like 1

What does it all mean? (I'm kind of half joking here... but no, I'm serious)

Well, what could it mean? Bunch of people thinking double VIP is the ideal time to stock up. And at least according to temporal extrapolation, there's good reason to do so:

- All modulars had between decent and gains

- All modulars retired after 4 years or less

- PS is in its 4th year

Avilability of modulars is more investor driven compared to average sets. Smaller production quantities and higher investor focus leads to less supply than demand whenever investors see a good opportunity to stock up. So I don't think what we see is TLG actually fading PS out yet but rather the effect of what investors think TLG will do.

Edited by makromizer
  • Like 3

When I ordered a pet shop two days ago it's availability read "ship date 10th April". After I made the purchase I checked the Pet Shop's page again and it then read "will ship in thirty days". My order status read "backordered" yesterday for a few hours (although, perhaps this was an error), today it has reverted to "waiting for new stock", and the products availability on it's page reads "expected ship date 10th April".

That may be hard to follow, but could this be an indication that my Pet Shop isn't going to be delivered?

When I ordered a pet shop two days ago it's availability read "ship date 10th April". After I made the purchase I checked the Pet Shop's page again and it then read "will ship in thirty days". My order status read "backordered" yesterday for a few hours (although, perhaps this was an error), today it has reverted to "waiting for new stock", and the products availability on it's page reads "expected ship date 10th April".

That may be hard to follow, but could this be an indication that my Pet Shop isn't going to be delivered?

I don't see why it wouldn't be delivered. At least the site still gives an approximate shipping date. I think you're safe. 

• Like 2