10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

I ordered a pet shop from LEGO Shop at Home on the 5th and received an out of stock email today (it said in stock when i ordered). I called up and talked to the rep and long story short, was told they're waiting for it to come from Denmark. It's expected to arrive the 23rd and ship then.

I ordered a pet shop from LEGO Shop at Home on the 5th and received an out of stock email today (it said in stock when i ordered). I called up and talked to the rep and long story short, was told they're waiting for it to come from Denmark. It's expected to arrive the 23rd and ship then.

Denmark, eh? So far all the Pet Shops I have seen in the US came from Mexico. At least that is what the seal codes say.

current_modulars_2013_banner.png

The PS is not as tall as some. It does not stand out is any way. That is why I love it. It adds much needed diversity in with to the lineup. I wish that they where not side by side in this picture, it would better support my argument.

Anyhow, I would be willing to bet that the returns on PS will be right in line with the other modulars (minus TH).

Guest TabbyBoy

The Pet Shop was the first one I built and I thought, "Surely this is the best one!" but no way, it's in the bottom half for my rankings.

But still, should be a good investment like all modulars.

I think we are now ready for mini modulars version 2!

I hope so as I intend to offload my 5x 10230 soon but, values have dropped recently.  I for one, love the Pet Shop.

With two modulars retired in 2014 it would not suprise me to see no modulars retired in 2015.  Chaos at its best.

Chaos is a good way to describe it.  Something happened with Town Hall that was not part of the overall plan.  I do recall reading that modulars are limited to parts currently in production, though I am not sure if that is still true.  Maybe that, or some other production issue, was what killed Town Hall.  or maybe at $199 its price point was just too high?  either way it is obvious that the DO was intended to be there replacement for PS, the designs are just too similar. But only time will what TLG will do.

Guest TabbyBoy

As per the "Top 10" list on the TB thread. the PS isn't hoarded as much and I think this set could surprise some of us.  I'm buying the max during the next 2xVIP promotion.

As a modular I think the pet shop has a few strengths that will help it sell. 

1. its a great filler for any modular street scene.  it could fit in next to any other module and not look out of place.  I am not sure i could say the same about the current modulars.  I just cant see the DO sitting next to the cinema or restaurant.

2. its the only modular that is two in one.  being able to spread the buildings out will help it fit in better overall.

3.  its the only modular that you can justify buying more than one.  if money is no object you could easily put a few of the brown stones together on one street.

I do not see it selling for 4-5x RRP, even 3x will be a while.  but I think its a better bet than any other current modular, and its a set that will always sell, no matter what else is release in the future.  really the only risk is that it doesnt retire...

Edited by jay4e

Guest TabbyBoy

I think this set is another modular no-brainer and is likely 2x within 6 months of EOL. Anyone who got them for -15%+ when Amazon had good discounts could do well within weeks. Remember this set may not have been made in such quantities as the others and could be hard to find except..... at a price!

The strange thing with PS is that it's sold out everywhere around here except for lego shop@ home for a pretty long time now.

When I call lego or speak to a lego employee they all say it sticks around for a long long time.

But when i call or go to retailers the all say the same that they won't get any and if they have one then they ask

will this set sold out in the end of 2015? just want to buy 10 of them to prepare

This is the general opinion, but who knows for sure...

The strange thing with PS is that it's sold out everywhere around here except for lego shop@ home for a pretty long time now.

When I call lego or speak to a lego employee they all say it sticks around for a long long time.

But when i call or go to retailers the all say the same that they won't get any and if they have one then they ask

Edited by biniou

This is not strange.

For starters... Biniou could be right about Lego Shop&Home being the exclusive source to get it in the future. And for second... I have noticed alot of retailers joining us on the speculation game. Cause they see there is significant money to be made that way. We are not alone anymore. That is actually something to worry about IMHO.

What's to worry about? Not many here will ever be at the point where they have to pay the silly prices that target and a few other places charge once a set is on the brink of EOL.

I don't know. Yes, modulars seem to become more exclusive to Lego themselves but on the other hand, I see other exclusives like Tower of Orthanc, Simpson House, Mini Cooper appear in regular Bart Smit & Intertoys stores increasingly often.

Edited by Bernard74

What's to worry about? Not many here will ever be at the point where they have to pay the silly prices that target and a few other places charge once a set is on the brink of EOL.

No... you are right about members here... but ordinary people rather buy lego at ToysRus or other retailers than from someone they do not know on ebay. Am I talking sense or do I need to explain myself further?

• Like 1