10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

I'm actually building the Pet Shop for the moment. 

The first of 2 buildings is done: 

I like: The cellar, the technique to get the round window, the set-up with the rounding stairs and toilet beneath it. The painter. 

It's a smaller building for sure, but that adds in variety to the street. Haven't started the true pet shop yet though. 

In a collection, it's fine I think

• Like 1

It's not the best stand-alone set in the modular series, but I think it works well in a larger display of a city street. It looks weird to just have big building after big building; you need some regular-sized buildings to smooth it all out. The fact that the brownstone and pet shop can be separated from each other adds to that utility.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for post-eol value, though.

I went looking for this at the MI Lego Store.  Not there - no modular at all in stock in the store.  Was thinking this would be a good start to collect these but lets see if they come back.

I've been to that location a few times in the past couple months and it has been pretty low on all large sets that are more than a year or so old, as well as having no modulars at all (the last time I was there). I grabbed some Red 5s instead during double VIP. They should get at least some PS, PC and PRs in over the next month I'd guess.

Regarding the debate on the popularity of this set, I saw this thread on the Reddit lego sub. The membership of this subreddit has a lot of hardcore fans and I think they can be a good barometer of a set's popularity. Here's a small discussion on the modulars that took place yesterday, where they rank them. Like anything, opinions vary, but he Pet Shop seems to be well received overall.

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/2rf3eh/rank_the_lego_modulars/

• Like 2

The lists suggest that no two people think alike and I would also like them to put the price paid beside the rating. A set that cost 500 euros or which is unobtainable  is obviously going to be given a higher emotional value than one that was discounted.

The lists suggest that no two people think alike and I would also like them to put the price paid beside the rating. A set that cost 500 euros or which is unobtainable  is obviously going to be given a higher emotional value than one that was discounted.

Not necessarily...the Detective's Office is brand new and already my second favorite.  I own them all.

Yeah, I'm new to all of this. Especially the investment side. I was a huge lego fan as a kid and my daughter has really taken on to lego at a young age. Her interest has reignited mine. I started again by being a fan and simply wanting to build again. And like all hobbies with me, I generally take it to an obsessive level (if you're going to do it, may as well do it all the way, right?). I always knew that lego held it's value well because of it's quality and numerous other factors, but the eye opener to me is that I spotted the Haunted House a few months ago and immediately liked the set. Monster Hunters seems to be right up my and my daughter's alley. Then this last month I thought, "I should buy that Haunted House",  and obviously I can't find it anywhere now at retail. I was unaware of the set's age and that it was close to retirement or I would have definitely pulled the trigger when I saw it on target.com this past fall. But I guess my surprise is in how quickly the price has risen to the extent that it has. That made me look into this investment side of it more.

I'm digressing... so my point with this set is. It's a set that has been pretty well regarded in the lego fan circles I've been exposed to early on in my re-entry to the hobby. It looks like there's some indicators that this thing is disappearing soon. I wouldn't mind having one myself, so at worst, I have some lego that I want. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get some of these very soon. I'm not foolish enough to think this is a HH, but I think a 35-50% rise after some months of retirement is not at all unreasonable in my opinion.

im afraid pet shop will retire earlier than we all think

i think most are quite surprised its still around now.  this set is pushing the 4 year mark which was the life span of FB and GE.  the only thing that may keep it going is the loss of town hall, but even with that gone there are still 3 modulars to stock.

I will say none of the stores near me (2 lego and 1 discovery center) have any Pet Shops or Cinemas on the shelves.  the space has been taken up with DOs and Restaurants.

Edited by jay4e

i think most are quite surprised its still around now.  this set is pushing the 4 year mark which was the life span of FB and GE.  the only thing that may keep it going is the loss of town hall, but even with that gone there are still 3 modulars to stock.

I will say none of the stores near me (2 lego and 1 discovery center) have any Pet Shops or Cinemas on the shelves.  the space has been taken up with DOs and Restaurants.

Is there a normal number of different modulars that they normally keep around at a given time? Thanks.

I hope my assumption was wrong - however the lego shop in germany shows that its currently out of stock and that they will ship it at around 27th of january....

this set is pushing the 4 year mark which was the life span of FB and GE. 

GE launched a year ahead of PS. Reasonable to think PS will last until the fall ala GE. The flip side is all the big retailers still had GE at this time last year. No one seems to have PS so maybe it goes sooner. 

If you want to invest in PS the time to buy is now. 

GE launched a year ahead of PS. Reasonable to think PS will last until the fall ala GE. The flip side is all the big retailers still had GE at this time last year. No one seems to have PS so maybe it goes sooner. 

If you want to invest in PS the time to buy is now. 

Y. It's next on my list.

This will be an interesting one to watch. LEGO Shop at Home in the USA raised the limit on this set from 2 to 5 some months ago. It is currently "will ship in 30 days" which in the past has meant a new packaging run is coming. If it was being retired or there was an expected shortage I would expect to see the limit reduced to 2 going by past patterns. Given it is a hot seller there is plenty to suggest it will be sticking around for a while. Smells like 10188 and 10220, but that is just me.

Lego already told the market that they would have considerable supply issues for this past Christmas season.  Well we are only a few days past that period, so the fact that something is out of stock means nothing.  Once supply issues are rectified we will have a better lay of the land in terms of what is really having stock issues.  They have still not "officially" retired the 492 items that are "Sold Out", which a pretty good chunck of those 492 items will come back once supply is brought back in line.  I am also speaking of the US only.  History has shown that the various markets are way to far apart to draw any reasonable conclusions.  If you want Pet shops you should be buying them simply from all of the other "indicators".  It could hang around for quite a while.  Many of the recently "Sold Out" sets have been around for quite a while.  In my own opinion Lego has not really altered any way of measuring this stuff as it was never really clear to begin with.  They have piles of new sets coming in and they are the "only" ones who know what to move out or what was a slow seller.  They do not publish individual product guideleines as they are a private company.  Anyone on this site who says something is a slow seller is basing that on absolutly nothing.  One Lego store making the statement also means nothing.  This is a massive company!

• Like 1