GI Joe - 50th Anniv - TRU Exclusives

Achilles

The Terrordrome actually looks pretty cool (to my eyes, anyway) and although I'm not the biggest ***.I. Joe fan a lot of my friends in my age bracket really are.  I could see them buying this for their kids/themselves.  If I see this on clearance in the future I'd be tempted to pull the trigger. 

No Scarlett or Snake Eyes, seriously ???

Scarlett was released in the first wave of blind bags around this time last year--those sold out FAST so she's only available on the secondary market.  Also, her hair was really bad so a lot of us found ourselves picking up Mia Friends sets so we could swap it out.

Snake Eyes version 1 was released with the ninja dojo/HISS tank set along with Timber.  Version 2 is available along with Storm Shadow in the ninja temple set.

There's a Firebat (the jet for the Terror Drome) included in a set to be released this spring with the Wolverine tank.  Figures include the AVAC pilot, Bazooka, and Recondo.  No sign of Cover Girl on the horizon . . . It's my understanding the Firebat will fit into the Terrordrome which has the launch pad lift feature.

Looking forward to these sets.

Good info. Is there a KRE-O HISS tank?

Yes, but it's only available as part of the Ninja Dojo set which is the largest and most expensive of them.  The total set includes the Arishikage Dojo (basically a Japanese style castle), the Hard Master (Snake Eye's and Storm Shadow's teacher just in case you're not familiar with the comics--apologies if you are), v. 1 Snake Eyes, Timber, 2 grey ninja students, Destro, Baroness, and the HISS tank.  It's a neat set all around.  The figures are great and the HISS build is nice, though it's mostly dark blue instead of black.  I keep hoping in the future they'll re-release the HISS separately in black with the HISS driver.

You can check it out here:  http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24336216&cp=&parentPage=search

When it was first released back in the fall it was $69.99.  It was also half off that for a few hours on Black Friday.  TRU usually does a BOGO 50% off not too long after new Kre-O sets are released, so it could be good grab along with the TD if you want them both and can wait it out.

• Like 1

I was commenting on the action figures on the first half of the link. Those 2 characters are arguably the most popular so I was not sure why they did not create 50th anniversary edition model for those 2.

The series 1 KreO Scarlett was ridiculously hard to come by, only 2 per blister box.

Ah, gotcha.  For one thing, there are already a ton of different Snake Eyes figures that have been released over the last 5+ years.  Not as many Scarletts but still plenty.  There's also a Snake Eyes included with the arctic set.  Most of the two and three pack figures are figures that were designed 1-2 years ago but haven't been included in any recent lines (such as the Destro, Flint, Leatherneck and HEAT Viper).  These figures are known as the "Concept Case figures" because they were shown at various conventions attended by Hasbro to show what they had designed but were not planning to release at that time.  Collectors have been wishing for these to come out so Hasbro gifted them to us as part of the 50th.  Other figures, like Lowlight, is a re-release because he was nearly impossible to find at retail.  Look up POC Lowlight MOC on ebay and you'll see what I mean. Finally there are some straight-up repaints like the BAT and Night Viper (the original version of which was also nigh impossible to find).  Hopefully more of the concept figures will be released in 2015 with the next movie line.

Apologies if this is more info that needed.  Joe is my main hobby/obsession.

Hey, that's why I started the thread, no need to apologize. It's fun info. I was a big fan as a kid, and just kind of moved on as I got to be a teen. I of course have lots of great memories. I never read the comics or anything, just the cartoon and toys. I have to admit, I hated the first GI-Joe movie (or whatever it was when it was released 4-5 years ago), I think they needed to pick with a theme (either more silly like the cartoon or more serious) and I think them kind of trying to do both didn't work. I was disappointed, and didn't bother seeing the other.

That HISS tank does look cool as does the terrordrome though. The BAT was an awesome toy.

The Marvel comic run is a great read and still holds up really well today.  IDW is reprinting them in really nice hardbound editions with the first three volumes already out.  I also found the first movie to pretty bad for all the reasons you mention.  The 2nd one was much better and more faithful, but not perfect.  Maybe the third one . . .  I don't know if you've seen ***.I. Joe:  Resolute (animated) but it's an outstanding stand-alone update to both the original comics/'toon.

• Like 1