10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

With all due respect, if you consider building a LEGO set work, then you will never truly understand LEGO and the finer points of LEGO investing. I am not trying to put you down in anyway. You can be a successful LEGO investor without really "getting it, " just like people invest in stocks or other commodities. Many intelligent people can invest in products they really don't care about and do very well.

But I think if you really enjoy the LEGO brick and building LEGO sets, you can take that information and utilize it to your advantage when investing in sets. There is no doubt that some LEGO sets are tedious builds, but I cannot explain the feeling of accomplishment and enjoyment one receives from building with LEGO bricks. It's sort of like investing in wine or fine art. Either you get it or you don't and those who get it have a distinct advantage over those who don't.

No offense taken. I do get it so to speak. I guess I don't or wouldn't build Lego regularly as for the same reason I don't play video games anymore. I just stopped this year. Time and the fact I don't have kids. If I have kids one day I'm sure I'll be singing a differnt tune.

I built my first lego set last year. It was cool. And I did enjoy it as was with my sister and beer. :) I very much will build the tb as I can see it as an awesome display piece and I love bridges. But no other set appeals to me.

It's nothing against lego and if I was a kid or had kids I'd choose lego over the other toys. Then again I played with wrestling figures as a kid and never had lego.... Ever. Maybe that's the underlying issue. :)

No offense taken. I do get it so to speak. I guess I don't or wouldn't build Lego regularly as for the same reason I don't play video games anymore. I just stopped this year. Time and the fact I don't have kids. If I have kids one day I'm sure I'll be singing a differnt tune.

I built my first lego set last year. It was cool. And I did enjoy it as was with my sister and beer. :) I very much will build the tb as I can see it as an awesome display piece and I love bridges. But no other set appeals to me.

It's nothing against lego and if I was a kid or had kids I'd choose lego over the other toys. Then again I played with wrestling figures as a kid and never had lego.... Ever. Maybe that's the underlying issue. :)

I understand. I know that building LEGO sets can be frustrating and boring at times. Finding pieces can drive you nuts. I guess it's like any hobby or interest. Enjoying a hobby doesn't guarantee you making money from it. I just find that LEGO sets in general have certain finer attributes that some people see more clearly and that vision helps enable people to pick the right sets for investment.

I was never a real minifigure fan until my son started playing with LEGO sets and I helped him put his Chima, Superhero and STAR WARS minifigures together. Now I really appreciate them and realize their importance. You can learn to appreciate LEGO sets. It's nurture, not nature.

With all due respect, if you consider building a LEGO set work, then you will never truly understand LEGO and the finer points of LEGO investing. I am not trying to put you down in anyway. You can be a successful LEGO investor without really "getting it, " just like people invest in stocks or other commodities. Many intelligent people can invest in products they really don't care about and do very well.

But I think if you really enjoy the LEGO brick and building LEGO sets, you can take that information and utilize it to your advantage when investing in sets. There is no doubt that some LEGO sets are tedious builds, but I cannot explain the feeling of accomplishment and enjoyment one receives from building with LEGO bricks. It's sort of like investing in wine or fine art. Either you get it or you don't and those who get it have a distinct advantage over those who don't.

Great insight, Ed. I tend to invest in what makes me go ooh and ahh, which are the large exclusives for the most part, and that has been a good formula so far. 

I think you can build it and enjoy it but make sure that you keep all the bags.  I would also call up lego and order an extra sticker sheet for it (assuming they have it available and town hall comes with stickers.  Also, keep the box in as good of condition as possible.

When/if you go to sell it down the road, you can advertise the set as being in minty perfect condition with box etc and still do ok on it.  There are plenty of collectors who will want to build the set they buy and prefer to save the money on a set that is mint but unsealed (built) vs. paying the extra $$'s just to open a box.

I am in the same boat.  I have 6 town halls and will definitely be building one of them.

• Like 1

I think you can build it and enjoy it but make sure that you keep all the bags.  I would also call up lego and order an extra sticker sheet for it (assuming they have it available and town hall comes with stickers.  Also, keep the box in as good of condition as possible.

When/if you go to sell it down the road, you can advertise the set as being in minty perfect condition with box etc and still do ok on it.  There are plenty of collectors who will want to build the set they buy and prefer to save the money on a set that is mint but unsealed (built) vs. paying the extra $$'s just to open a box.

I am in the same boat.  I have 6 town halls and will definitely be building one of them.

Great advice, Marzipan!

Kids change everything, take my word for it.

• Like 1

Seeing the new Detective Office modular makes me really wish I had an extra Town Hall or two. There's simply no other building with the stature of this and there doesn't appear to be one on the way anytime soon.

TH should continue to pop up here and there, just be ready. SSD is still popping up at retail nearly six months after it vanished. 

Ok dumb question time

If you had 4 times as many TH and R2 as you did of AA GE ToO PS SC and T1 would you sell any TH or R2 at a mild profit and use funds to buy more of those you have less of?

I think not but wondered if anyone would?

No. TH is and will be more valuable than any of those other sets. And R2 may even be better than most as well. Sounds like you've focussed on the correct sets to me.

Ok dumb question time

If you had 4 times as many TH and R2 as you did of AA GE ToO PS SC and T1 would you sell any TH or R2 at a mild profit and use funds to buy more of those you have less of?

No. I'd rather they increased a lot more before selling. They're not even retired yet. It would be silly and a bit pointless to me.

Ok dumb question time

NO!  you are sitting on a gold mine with both.  wait it out.  TH is going to be phenomenal and R2 will as well  - i watched episode IV last night  for the first time in about 16 months and was really acutely aware at how integral R2 is and with movies coming up, a whole new generation is going to be exposed to SW in theatrical. its sort of like roulette - you put your markers down and the wheel spins except unlike roulette either way you make money.  i think both TH and R2 will be at 3x MSRP next year at this time.  

R2 and TH will outperform every other set you have listed and those sets haven't even retired.  you did a good job anticipating R2's departure - if you can wait it out you will be making large money - obviously if a quick flip arises at xmas and there is a price spike it will be hard to pass that up but i would certainly hold your THs for the time being - this is the situation we are usually hoping for - unanticipated early retirement and to have it happen with the largest modular to date, its sort of a perfect storm for a lego investor.  

People down this way are not showing much love for the Chrome dome, walked into a shop yesterday with 10 on the floor at below MSRP - only Toys R Us have sold out and they had a 20% off yesterday - no TH anywhere though which was nice.

My theory is the big box and price turned a lot of shops off stocking it in favor of smaller and cheaper modulars - shelf space is money.

2dcik4p.png

Own Want from Brickset , no MS on the list. Bricklink EU Qty.

Let's say that every 3 GE sold , 1 TH sold.

34q0cih.png

Just random sales numbers , even with 5 GE to 1 TH you still have in 2019 less TH than GE on Bricklink.

Of course ppl will put more GE and TH on BL but for sure more GE than TH.

Plus i think that PR and the new modular DO will bring new collectors.