10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Yesterday I cleaned out my local Toychamp. They had 2 left at retail price. High price but I am almost 1000% sure I won't find them anymore. I have a total of 8 now. But with these I feel still it is too less.

Just bought all the 4 TH left from the Toychamp stores Apeldoorn and Zwolle. Furthermore received 3 more TH by shipping from them. Absolutely mint boxes! 1 was even carried in the original factory case :-D happy me.

I've enough.. but the gate has also closed for me to get these at retail or below.. finito

* You buy a set $200 at LEGO Shop at Home just before it's sold out. Another guy wants this set soooo much, you resell it to him for $300 on a craiglist. This guy wanted this set and have no more money to spend on LEGO Shop at Home. Lego gets $200 . Lego is upset because you made money thanks to them and the guy didn't pay RRP, meaning they may be finally disappointed and can change their mind and later buy other toys, or less sets, because of that disappointement.

Or...

I buy a set for $200 - Lego is happy.

Another guy is too lazy or broke, and ends up waiting 3 years to buy a set, leaves it too late, and doesn't buy the set from Lego - Lego is not happy.

* You do not invest in legos. Another guy buy a $200 set on LEGO Shop at Home. Lego gets $200. Lego is happy because it's how things are supposed to be.

Or....

I spend

The question has been answered several times in the last few hundred pages. To be honest with you, the new policy will help some smart resellers quite a bit if true and will hurt others quite a bit if the wrong sets are hoarded.

If this whole "out of order" EOL for the sets is true, it will make things quite interesting. If TLGs main deciding factor to end a set early is due to lack sales, and to keep other sets because they sell well will mean as a investor you reeeeeeally need to know where you're putting your money and have a strong game plan. Not just buying near what one believes is a sets soon to be EOL because you may just miss the boat.

With that said, we should probably change this threads title to town hall/TLGs play to mess with resellers.

• Like 2

The question has been answered several times in the last few hundred pages. To be honest with you, the new policy will help some smart resellers quite a bit if true and will hurt others quite a bit if the wrong sets are hoarded.

Since we know you aren't going to just come out and tell us what the change is, could you give us a time frame in which the change would happen. It's like waiting for Christmas as a kid but you don't know when or how far away it is.

Since we know you aren't going to just come out and tell us what the change is, could you give us a time frame in which the change would happen. It's like waiting for Christmas as a kid but you don't know when or how far away it is.

I believe he has stated that the "change" is underway.  TH appearing to retire soon is probably part of that.

• Like 1

I believe he has stated that the "change" is underway.  TH appearing to retire soon is probably part of that.

I agree he said it is "already happening", which lets us know it is underway but I would love a hint at when we will be able to look back and see what occurred.

Me thinks we will not get that sort of guidance.  :)

Would emazers be considered smart reseller based on that policy? Epic Dragon thing being one of the few mistakes of course

I have a fair share of Epic Dragons as well.  You win some, you lose some.  But as I have always stated and emazers will concur, buy the sets you think are good investments as soon as you can afford to and a proper buying opportunity arises.  Timing this market might become a futile and risky endeavor for some.  Think of it as "dollar cost averaging" for LEGO sets.  

• Like 1

I have a fair share of Epic Dragons as well.  You win some, you lose some.  But as I have always stated and emazers will concur, buy the sets you think are good investments as soon as you can afford to and a proper buying opportunity arises.  Timing this market might become a futile and risky endeavor for some.  Think of it as "dollar cost averaging" for LEGO sets.  

This hasn't even retired yet but has been labelled as "retiring soon" in my LEGO store since June. It's still too early to say that it's a complete and utter dog. You will probably be able to at least get your money back.

It's all probably going to depend on how popular the upcoming new seasons and movie are in bringing people back to the old sets. The current Mech dragon hasn't done well at all (already discounted to ~$60 everywhere) and the new 2015 Titanium dragon has a brick built head so there is still some (faint?) hope yet for EBD. It seems like the cartoon is at least returning to old familiar territory (snakes as villiains vs ugly mechs).

I have a fair share of Epic Dragons as well. You win some, you lose some. But as I have always stated and emazers will concur, buy the sets you think are good investments as soon as you can afford to and a proper buying opportunity arises. Timing this market might become a futile and risky endeavor for some. Think of it as "dollar cost averaging" for LEGO sets.

Dollar cost averaging I find is the best way to clean up a brickfolio. When I am done buying a set and/or not available anymore I take all my inventory and do the average price paid and have one entry in brickfolio.

So, if the change in policy is along the lines of complete unpredictability of set retirement (or demand-driven retirement, which means "unpredictable", since we would not know exact numbers), the smart resellers would be the ones that buy "right" sets regularly, rather than try to time the EOL

• Like 2

So, if the change in policy is along the lines of complete unpredictability of set retirement (or demand-driven retirement, which means "unpredictable", since we would not know exact numbers), the smart resellers would be the ones that buy "right" sets regularly, rather than try to time the EOL

At least we wouldn't have frenzies like this. But I think it is good advice nonetheless. If there's a good reduction on a set you like, buy it. Don't wait til the last minute. I think it is an issue with consumers in general... wait price not low enough... wait some more, it can be lower... ah let's wait another bit, 40% off means it can be 45% off too...whoops... sold out

• Like 1

For me the point to consider is if the set is really  in demand from regular buyers or not. If this set is selling out now due to reseller panic rather than genuine demand then all the guys that bought multiples  at MSRP or above to resell may have just created a bubble.

I know of at least two places who have had the same number in stock at MSRP for a while now and I want to see some of them shift before and if I make a move as I don

For me the point to consider is if the set is really  in demand from regular buyers or not. If this set is selling out now due to reseller panic rather than genuine demand then all the guys that bought multiples  at MSRP or above to resell may have just created a bubble.

I know of at least two places who have had the same number in stock at MSRP for a while now and I want to see some of them shift before and if I make a move as I don

Are we still talking about TH here??? ;-P 

Isn't there a "when is the best moment to buy" thread or something?

People like me who have the urge to read every word in a thread and cannot stop until they reached the last word on the last page without skipping any (OCD) will have a hard time.

• Like 1

Are we still talking about TH here??? ;-P

Isn't there a "when is the best moment to buy" thread or something?

People like me who have the urge to read every word in a thread and cannot stop until they reached the last word on the last page without skipping any (OCD) will have a hard time.

And this is why the thread should be renamed. Too much useful information and off topicness.