10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Thanks, bought a couple of them :)

Maybe the person who pulled out the whole inventory this weekend didn't want them??

You can read my thoughts... ;-) I know for sure that they didn't have stock anymore last monday. The local Intertoys called headquarters, but there was nothing left anymore. I will figure this out..heheh

The Town Hall is retired as far as I know and I do not believe it will make a comeback with the exception of a sporadic and short lived in stock appearance. While LEGO can indeed change their core philosophy and reproduce retired sets, I haven't heard such a drastic change is coming. But a change is coming nonetheless.

Reproducing retired sets would reduce the value of LEGO sets on the secondary market and I don't believe LEGO wants to reduce the value of their product, either on the primary or secondary markets. LEGO is very smart and does pay attention to the values of their sets on the secondary markets regardless what many think. The two work hand in hand with one another. The perceived high values on the secondary market filters over to the primary market every day. Many LEGO fans or collectors will pay $400 for a set because they know it increases in value after retirement. If this sets dropped in value after use and time, how would buying patterns change? Quite a bit I would say.

LEGO has ALWAYS been an expensive product. When I was a kid 40 years ago, till now, it has been an expensive product. But like with anything that is of high caliber and finely produced, there is an increased price tag. You get what you pay for is very true with LEGO sets and people don't seem to mind paying for this higher cost, because they know they are buying a product made with the highest standards and the potential to increase in value after purchase.

Should you buy a Town Hall now at $300 if you don't have one? Probably. I bought a Cafe Corner at $575 and a Taj Mahal at $400 and that has turned out well. I'm not saying the Town Hall will reach those levels, but it will be a non hoarded, short production run Modular, so I say there is a good chance of this set hitting lofty numbers.

Ed, I know you don't want to say what the change is exactly so I am going to ask you a different question. WHY are they making the change? Is the change, whatever it may be, designed to hurt resellers? Can you answer that question?  Thanks.

Ed, I know you don't want to say what the change is exactly so I am going to ask you a different question. WHY are they making the change? Is the change, whatever it may be, designed to hurt resellers? Can you answer that question?  Thanks.

Just to chime in here...why would Lego want to hurt re-sellers? Is our money not good enough for them?

A busy secondary market is good for Lego in a number of ways.

• Like 1

A lot of people are overthinking this.  Go back to Occam's razor:  what's the simple answer?  The Town Hall wasn't selling well, so LEGO decided to retire it.  TADA!

Seriously, take a look at the Amazon sales rankings for this thing.  It was a terrible seller.  I don't know the sales ranking algorithms, but if I had to guess, it was selling about one per week earlier this year.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/LEGO-Creator-10224-Town-Hall/product/B007Q72ZA8?context=browse

• Like 1

Just to chime in here...why would Lego want to hurt re-sellers? Is our money not good enough for them?

Regular consumers are getting really really pissed about the number of resellers clearing out all the sets before anyone else can get them. There are many lego sites that are not for investors where this sentiment is pervasive and I have seen the complaints on Lego's website and other retailers websites as well. Don't forget who Lego is making these sets for. It isn't for us. That's why I hate when people do something like, going into TRU and buying every single Bricktober modular in the building. It draws attention, pisses more people off, leaves all of us in a bad light and leads to anti-reseller policies. Even if you don't care about little Billy getting any sets, maybe you should care about hurting all resellers including yourself.

That's why I ask. I am worried the behavior of some is going to ruin it for everyone.

Edit: BTW, when I say "you" I don't mean you personally

Edited by mscheaf

A lot of people are overthinking this.  Go back to Occam's razor:  what's the simple answer?  The Town Hall wasn't selling well, so LEGO decided to retire it.  TADA!

Seriously, take a look at the Amazon sales rankings for this thing.  It was a terrible seller.  I don't know the sales ranking algorithms, but if I had to guess, it was selling about one per week earlier this year.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/LEGO-Creator-10224-Town-Hall/product/B007Q72ZA8?context=browse

That worries me too. How are we going to sell a set for $400 that no one wanted for $200?

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Very soon, this will be the busiest thread on the site.

The set was history in the US at that point IMO...and many never did and still don't believe it. Oh well, to each his own. Can LEGO continue production of this set. Sure. But I highly doubt it.

Um, any other threads you think might get busy soon? Edited by johnwray

Regular consumers are getting really really pissed about the number of resellers clearing out all the sets before anyone else can get them. There are many lego sites that are not for investors where this sentiment is pervasive and I have seen the complaints on Lego's website and other retailers websites as well. Don't forget who Lego is making these sets for. It isn't for us. That's why I hate when people do something like, going into TRU and buying every single Bricktober modular in the building. It draws attention, pisses more people off, leaves all of us in a bad light and leads to anti-reseller policies. Even if you don't care about little Billy getting any sets, maybe you should care about hurting all resellers including yourself.

That's why I ask. I am worried the behavior of some is going to ruin it for everyone.

I think those kind of sets are few and far between though, no?

Most sets are available for enough time for anyone to buy them. Lego makes sets for anyone who wants to buy them, that includes us.

I don't hear many people on other forums ( I read them too) say they're going to stop buying Lego unless Lego does something about re-sellers.

And which do you think would hurt Lego's profits the most? Little Johnny not buying any more Lego, or resellers not buying Lego?

That worries me too. How are we going to sell a set for $400 that no one wanted for $200?

By most accounts, 10179 wasn't a great seller at $500 either.  I'm in no way saying Town Hall will appreciate like the MF, but there are a lot of people who wanted this set but passed on it for other modulars, thinking there would be plenty of time to buy later.  There will be time, but it will be at $400.

• Like 1

Cool. I am feeling very paranoid today. Bear with me

You make a fair point about our antics reflecting badly on Lego. I'm sure it's something they keep an eye on, but I don't think they're that worried that they would want to force us out of the game, just to keep little Billy sweet every time he gets in a strop about missing out on a limited set.

The Town Hall is retired as far as I know and I do not believe it will make a comeback with the exception of a sporadic and short lived in stock appearance. While LEGO can indeed change their core philosophy and reproduce retired sets, I haven't heard such a drastic change is coming. But a change is coming nonetheless.

Reproducing retired sets would reduce the value of LEGO sets on the secondary market and I don't believe LEGO wants to reduce the value of their product, either on the primary or secondary markets. LEGO is very smart and does pay attention to the values of their sets on the secondary markets regardless what many think. The two work hand in hand with one another. The perceived high values on the secondary market filters over to the primary market every day. Many LEGO fans or collectors will pay $400 for a set because they know it increases in value after retirement. If this sets dropped in value after use and time, how would buying patterns change? Quite a bit I would say.

LEGO has ALWAYS been an expensive product. When I was a kid 40 years ago, till now, it has been an expensive product. But like with anything that is of high caliber and finely produced, there is an increased price tag. You get what you pay for is very true with LEGO sets and people don't seem to mind paying for this higher cost, because they know they are buying a product made with the highest standards and the potential to increase in value after purchase.

Should you buy a Town Hall now at $300 if you don't have one? Probably. I bought a Cafe Corner at $575 and a Taj Mahal at $400 and that has turned out well. I'm not saying the Town Hall will reach those levels, but it will be a non hoarded, short production run Modular, so I say there is a good chance of this set hitting lofty numbers.

'' but a change is coming '' care to elaborate sir....

* You buy a set $200 at LEGO Shop at Home and you build it. Another guy buy the same set on LEGO Shop at Home. Lego gets $400. Lego is happy and will add some extra hugs and kisses in your next order.

* You buy a set $200 at LEGO Shop at Home just before it's sold out. Another guy wants this set soooo much, you resell it to him for $300 on a craiglist. This guy wanted this set and have no more money to spend on LEGO Shop at Home. Lego gets $200 . Lego is upset because you made money thanks to them and the guy didn't pay RRP, meaning they may be finally disappointed and can change their mind and later buy other toys, or less sets, because of that disappointement.

Lego would like that you do not resell sets, and that:

* You do not invest in legos. Another guy buy a $200 set on LEGO Shop at Home. Lego gets $200. Lego is happy because it's how things are supposed to be.

Of course, if you buy a set $200 and resell it 2 years later on a craiglist for $200, lego will not care that much about it.

The only thing that may upset them is that you sold a 2011 Ninjago set, and they would prefer to sell their 2014 Chima sets, so the buyer will be tempted to buy some other 2014 Chima sets (still available).

• Like 2

Aaand Nov 4 order got cancelled, too.  :suicide:

At least they gave me 400 VIP points for free to easy my mental torture.  :victory:

It's currently on 'Call to check' status.

Which, as we know, will result in further heartbreak.

Edited by M4x18
  • Like 1

The set was history in the US at that point IMO...and many never did and still don't believe it.  Oh well, to each his own.  Can LEGO continue production of this set.  Sure.  But I highly doubt it.  

I wrote to Lego for information about 10224 and they answered this:

Purtroppo, il gioco di cui ha fatto richiesta (10211 Grand Emporium V46) non e' piu' disponibile. Ogni anno diversi giochi vengono messi fuori produzione, e nuovi giochi vengono introdotti. Cosi' facendo siamo in grado di offrire una maggiore varieta' di prodotti e nuove sfide per coloro che si dilettano con le costruzioni LEGO. E, non si sa mai, i suoi giochi preferiti potrebbero riemergere dal passato, magari solo con un aspetto leggermente diverso!

Tuttavia, voglio segnalarle alcuni set altettando esclusivi, disponibili solo per l'acquisto on-line. Sarebbero altrettando fantastici in qualunque collezione di Lego! 

In particolare potrebbero piacerLe: 

10218 - negozio di animali (torner

* You buy a set $200 at LEGO Shop at Home and you build it. Another guy buy the same set on LEGO Shop at Home. Lego gets $400. Lego is happy and will add some extra hugs and kisses in your next order.

* You buy a set $200 at LEGO Shop at Home just before it's sold out. Another guy wants this set soooo much, you resell it to him for $300 on a craiglist. This guy wanted this set and have no more money to spend on LEGO Shop at Home. Lego gets $200 . Lego is upset because you made money thanks to them and the guy didn't pay RRP, meaning they may be finally disappointed and can change their mind and later buy other toys, or less sets, because of that disappointement.

Lego would like that you do not resell sets, and that:

* You do not invest in legos. Another guy buy a $200 set on LEGO Shop at Home. Lego gets $200. Lego is happy because it's how things are supposed to be.

Of course, if you buy a set $200 and resell it 2 years later on a craiglist for $200, lego will not care that much about it.

The only thing that may upset them is that you sold a 2011 Ninjago set, and they would prefer to sell their 2014 Chima sets, so the buyer will be tempted to buy some other 2014 Chima sets (still available).

Well stated.  Also, lego probably doesn't enjoy dealing with massive returns when a set that appeared to be eol blazes back to life with no discernible end.

• Like 2

You make a good point. But you forgot to consider that if Lego makes a predetermined amount of sets, they are still getting the same amount of money. Let's pretend Lego sells a predetermined amount of 500 sets. In the first case you buy set #300 and the guy buys set #301. Eventually Lego will sell it's 500 sets and make $100000. In the second case you buy the 500th set. Lego still made $100000. In both cases Lego is happy. 

I believe Lego likes us resellers (to a degree) because we clean out the remaining stock that they want to retire and free up space for newer products. We also increase the value of Legos in the adult world. This value lets resellers and collectors have hope and keep buying more Legos to their collection. How many of us tell ourselves that it's okay to spend thousands of dollars because in the worst case I can just sell it at retail price? How many of us hold onto a Haunted house because it looks cool and in the worst case I'll just build it? They just want to control us to a degree that we don't crash our own market and affect their Lego value in the future. 

We are all tiny pawns in their grand scheme of things.  :frantics:  :frantics:  :frantics:

• Like 2

The question has been answered several times in the last few hundred pages.  To be honest with you, the new policy will help some smart resellers quite a bit if true and will hurt others quite a bit if the wrong sets are hoarded.

True, indeed. That is something Lego cares about.

The only break in logic here is the following:

Scenario 1) 2 guys buy 1 set each ( = 2 sets)

Scenario 2) 1 guy buys 1 set, second guy cannot buy anything....  ( = 1 set)

So to correct your statement: Scenario 2) Guy A buys 2 sets, guy B cannot buy anything ( =2 sets), because, to sum up, resellers snap up all the sets...