10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Tnx! Happy man today. You also congratulations with the 24 you picked up at the local Intertoys ;-)

Haha only to put that right, that was only me making fun ;-) I have 4-5 and won't go for more ^.^ For those big sets I'm usually aiming for 3-6 not more since they are just too expansive and I still want some variety in my inventory.

Just bought the 4 remaining TH from the Toychamp Stores in Roosendaal and Bergen Op Zoom. The Arkel branch of Toychamp only has some TH left for those who are interested. I am done now.

You also received those points with your purchases? You get 1 point for every 25 euro you spend. I bought 4 TH @ retail so I got 28 points. For these 28 points I got 2x the Playmobil 4858 Open Air Swimming Pool a 35-40 euro p.p. and a nice big teddy beer for my nephew.. Nice gift from them! :-)

Wow!

That + tumbler back in SatH Europe + SDD resurrecting on Amazon USA = LEGO is definitely messing with us.  

Sorry I don't get it... is that pure irony or are you serious?

Tumbler back in SAH really is nothing special (why should it? it never even went oos and now that double VIP points if over...).

Haven't seen TH online since it went. Don't know what it is with all those 1 minute cameos, but I wouldn't say it actually has been back.

SSD (or is there another set that I don't know that is called SDD? super destroyer destroyer?)... So if you really mean the SSD than a quick look on amazon tells me it's there for about 700$ (btw: why do you normally put the $ sign infront of the number? I mean you do say sevenhundred dollar(s) don't you? so I don't get that) logic

Calm down, it wasn't a super serious post it was half joke and half just an observation that strange things have been happening with the official "statuses" on LEGO Shop at Home both on product page and on orders. In the past 'sold out' was sold out period. Now we know 'sold out' means nothing and even the stronger 'retired' one has had its exemptions e.***. post office, et al. Recently we have seen the special statuses for RI and Tumbler at least on USA and the fact that you have it back online worries me since I gambled a little getting some of them hopping to do an evil quick flip on xmas. So we'll see how that turns out. 

The SDD = my stupid misspelling for 10221 Super Star Destroyer was available on Amazon USA for a few minutes, I saw the emails less than a minute too late got to see it but my "1-click" did not go through. Several BP'ers scored go to to the Daily deals for more info. 

I still have no idea what is going on with TH, this "in warehouse" is the cherry on the cake. Probably Ed is right and it is gone and we are only seeing skeletons but my point is that LEGO can play all sort of surprises on us in either direction hence the messing with us part. And this does not necessarily means that LEGO intentionally is surprising resellers just that we speculate so much that we bring this upon ourselves.

$XX.XX is just a convention the same way people have time zones, SI and imperial units, comma versus point for decimals, etc. So I don't know why but that is the norm.

In any case I am about to fall asleep so if anything above did not make sense just ignore it, have a good day/night.   
Edited by MathBuilder
  • Like 1

The dutch online retailer thystoys.nl put the Fire Brigade back on its site @ retail price (150 euro here). Still out of stock.. 'temporarily not available' BUT why did they bring it back to their site..?

Maybe this what Ed knows: Even retired sets can make a comeback.. some will come back, others not. If this will indeed be the case it is a brilliant move of Lego in order to screw the reseller scum. Why pay 300 bucks for a set that maybe comes back one year later..? if the 'retired' label doesn't make sense anymore, this will affect resell prices big time.

Edited by JM123

The dutch online retailer thystoys.nl put the Fire Brigade back on its site @ retail price (150 euro here). Still out of stock.. 'temporarily not available' BUT why did they bring it back to their site..?

Maybe this what Ed knows: Even retired sets can make a comeback.. some will come back, others not. If this will indeed be the case it is a brilliant move of Lego in order to screw the reseller scum. Why pay 300 bucks for a set that maybe comes back one year later..? if the 'retired' label doesn't make sense anymore, this will affect resell prices big time.

Highly unlikely.... 

• Like 1

@JM: They just have a sucky webshop..

Yeah, indeed true. Already called them, asking when they will get it in stock :-P But the guy on the phone said: 'It was always there, all the while' (which is not true, but OK). And they didn't expect a shipment and in fact knew nothing about it. I told them.. it's already more than half a year officially retired, so why the f*ck is it then still on your site @retail. Indeed crappy website and also ignorant staff. 

No big deal, let's move on to relevant things ;-)

... if the 'retired' label doesn't make sense anymore, this will affect resell prices big time...

The "retired" notice was seriously devalued, when the website marked the Winter Market as "retired" on January in the european legoshop and then it has returned back several weeks ago. But i still think that it was a special situation and most sets, which are retired, never come back. We just need to combine the "retired" notice with the logic and other facts (such as the length of life of the set).

The "retired" notice was seriously devalued, when the website marked the Winter Market as "retired" on January in the european legoshop and then it has returned back several weeks ago. But i still think that it was a special situation and most sets, which are retired, never come back. We just need to combine the "retired" notice with the logic and other facts (such as the length of life of the set).

Agreed. For sets bound to a holiday like the christmas sets, there should be a seperate status or simply the Sold Out status. It would be more accurate than slapping a retired tag on it.

• Like 1

The Town Hall is retired as far as I know and I do not believe it will make a comeback with the exception of a sporadic and short lived in stock appearance. While LEGO can indeed change their core philosophy and reproduce retired sets, I haven't heard such a drastic change is coming. But a change is coming nonetheless.

Reproducing retired sets would reduce the value of LEGO sets on the secondary market and I don't believe LEGO wants to reduce the value of their product, either on the primary or secondary markets. LEGO is very smart and does pay attention to the values of their sets on the secondary markets regardless what many think. The two work hand in hand with one another. The perceived high values on the secondary market filters over to the primary market every day. Many LEGO fans or collectors will pay $400 for a set because they know it increases in value after retirement. If this sets dropped in value after use and time, how would buying patterns change? Quite a bit I would say.

LEGO has ALWAYS been an expensive product. When I was a kid 40 years ago, till now, it has been an expensive product. But like with anything that is of high caliber and finely produced, there is an increased price tag. You get what you pay for is very true with LEGO sets and people don't seem to mind paying for this higher cost, because they know they are buying a product made with the highest standards and the potential to increase in value after purchase.

Should you buy a Town Hall now at $300 if you don't have one? Probably. I bought a Cafe Corner at $575 and a Taj Mahal at $400 and that has turned out well. I'm not saying the Town Hall will reach those levels, but it will be a non hoarded, short production run Modular, so I say there is a good chance of this set hitting lofty numbers.

• Like 9

Reproducing retired sets would reduce the value of LEGO sets on the secondary market and I don't believe LEGO wants to reduce the value of their product, either on the primary or secondary markets. LEGO is very smart and does pay attention to the values of their sets on the secondary markets regardless what many think. The two work hand in hand with one another. The perceived high values on the secondary market filters over to the primary market every day. Many LEGO fans or collectors will pay $400 for a set because they know it increases in value after retirement. If this sets dropped in value after use and time, how would buying patterns change? Quite a bit I would say.

A valid point you make Ed. While I do believe that TLG considers the secondary market an issue, investors ultimately contribute to their huge profits.