10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

And these are all exclusives?

Me thinks so

Me thinks it is clear

Ed took issue with retirement count I was incorrectly repeating.

That is our bone

My guess

Chaos is ELE

EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT

Exclusives are retiring on an unprecedented level

If you stocked up your in great shape

Nothing more nothing less

More exclusives to come

Not this good timing for several more years

They are just plowing the highway

Like that show what do I say?

Yes that's my

Final Answer

But what if that is not it?

Yes, where did I say 10?

Right here: http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/10400-assumed-date-codes-for-production-runs/page-27#entry347889

If I cared to speculate (and I do), I would predict 13-14 major sets are going away (or are already gone except for vapors): TH, GE. HH. SC, KJ, R2, HE, SOH, WVM, ToO, R5, EEE, AA, and maybe it is finally time for good old DS.

Ones that I don't think are going away (that others have speculated will) are: TB, PS, 4x4, T1

Just IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc.

P.S. - 60% of the time I think I'm 100% correct, or 100% of the time 60% correct, or I can't fool all of the people some of the time, or something like that.

Edited by Spanky
  • Like 2

Is there even ten exclusives that have been out nearly 2 years?

Exclusives approaching or exceeding 2 years old (by age):

6.4 yrs: 10188 Death Star

4.7 yrs: 10211 Grand Emporium

4.1 yrs: 10214 Tower Bridge

3.5 yrs: 10218 Pet Shop

3.1 yrs: 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

2.8 yrs: 10223 Kingdoms Joust

2.7 yrs: 10224 Town Hall

2.5 yrs: 10225 R2-D2

2.4 yrs: 10226 Sopwith Camel

2.3 yrs: 9398 4X4 Crawler

2.2 yrs: 10228 Haunted House

1.8 yrs: 10233 Horizon Express

1.8 yrs: 10937 Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

1.8 yrs: 42006 Excavator

• Like 7

Today was interesting as despite my best efforts,  I was unable to 1-click into anything but it made me consider the following, particularly concerning the throng of people pounding F5 for Town Halls and Haunted Houses, here and elsewhere.

Generalized statement: Lego's retail outlets probably do very well; they are in high traffic areas, usually in more affluent neighbourhoods and shopping districts with higher rents.  They seem to be undergoing a very controlled retail expansion and to me that is a positive sign and I would love to know what their average sales are (choose your metric).  Lego stores are the greatest "showroom" for their product and, in my opinion, greatly strengthens their brand and brand awareness. 

I also notice that the amount of Lego advertising is steadily growing through TV shows, retail opportunities and of course the Lego movie - the best 2hr ad created in recent memory.  I don't know what the end game is for their distribtuion network - but a lot of consumers are less aware of shopping at lego.com than they are of amazon/walmart/target etc. One way to continue the company's growth is to have a higher turnover rate of sets and themes (the next big thing) to continue to grow sales.

In another thread, I noted that Lego has introduced approximately 10 new "exclusive style sets" this year - there isn't room for all of them in the showroom and I realized that in my last few trips to 4-5 Lego stores, I have seen less space for exclusives and more for mid range sets.  That could be due to a shortage or it could be a subtle switch to a modified business model.

Specialized statement:  Investors should really consider their holiday plans and determine what is best for them - sets at 40% that will probably be around again at a lesser discount or sets at no discount that may or may not be around in the next 6-12 months.  Newer members should REALLY research before the end of November so that you lessen the probability of making a mistake.

Either nothing is retiring or everything is.  Good luck on your hunts, now I need one more TH :)

• Like 1

Exclusives approaching or exceeding 2 years old (by age):

6.4 yrs: 10188 Death Star

4.7 yrs: 10211 Grand Emporium

4.1 yrs: 10214 Tower Bridge

3.5 yrs: 10218 Pet Shop

3.1 yrs: 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

2.8 yrs: 10223 Kingdoms Joust

2.7 yrs: 10224 Town Hall

2.5 yrs: 10225 R2-D2

2.4 yrs: 10226 Sopwith Camel

2.3 yrs: 9398 4X4 Crawler

2.2 yrs: 10228 Haunted House

1.8 yrs: 10233 Horizon Express

1.8 yrs: 10937 Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

1.8 yrs: 42006 Excavator

believe exclusives are only 10xxx with tumbler being an exception. technic sets are in a separate category

Edited by jerryherb

My bad. Somehow my search pulled out those big Technic sets as well.

Here is a graph of the current vintage of exclusives.

9ZzoGse.jpg

I am a visual learner - this helped me see that TLG has ramped up large/exclusive sets, especially in the last 12-18 months. As others have noted, B&M stores aren't getting any bigger and shelf space is limited...

If a relatively large number of sets are retiring--some "early"--it seems like good news may be sprinkled all about for people who bought earlier into certain sets. As for me, I'm maxxed out budget-wise or I'd try for more. Still, I think I got the best ones I could being a relative noob, including four THs. I'd try to float some budget money to buy in more toward a possible golden age of retirement, but floating is a short-term trick and I'm looking hold what I've got for maximum effect and slowly build up.

The only set I'd really regret not getting (and my wife the same) is the PR, but I think I'm safe waiting on that one for a bit.

What would be really interesting is if Ed Mack were to post in the "what lego set did you buy today" thread on a regular basis. I have a feeling this may give some indication of what's going on with certain sets. I'm sure he isn't a last minute buyer like 90% of us but since he obviously has some kind of insider info, what his recent and future purchases are may help us decipher this riddle if in indeed it is about the future retirement of sets.