10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

In addition to more random retirements, my guess is that Lego may move all exclusives in-house to Shop at Home and the Lego Stores. This would hurt the big resellers the most as they would be held to Lego's buying limits. If Lego wanted, they could even start handing out vouchers ("golden tickets") to buy exclusives as a further way to track/limit our purchases. Just my two cents based on Ed's prognostications.

Could be.  Repackage the ones not being retired in new boxes w/ Golden tickets, good for something yet unknown, and retire the rest. As specualtive as anything else, but could certainly see that happening.

In addition to more random retirements, my guess is that Lego may move all exclusives in-house to Shop at Home and the Lego Stores. This would hurt the big resellers the most as they would be held to Lego's buying limits. If Lego wanted, they could even start handing out vouchers ("golden tickets") to buy exclusives as a further way to track/limit our purchases. Just my two cents based on Ed's prognostications.

Not too sure about the exclusives in house thing. Especially since Canada got a bunch of stores carrying the "Hard to Finds" just this year. Before this year it was just TRU and Lego itself.

Walmart.ca, Amazon.ca, Mastermindtoys.ca - all got exclusives this year, some within the past couple weeks. It's certainly possible! but i can't see Lego giving them the go ahead to stock them when they have a master plan to make all exclusives in house in the upcoming future, but who knows.

That would make a lot of sense from Lego's perspective.  I've never seen any exclusives at retail, except for Lego stores, so this wouldn't change things for your average consumer too much.

As a new poster McLovin may be on to something. Not the golden tickets but Shipped & Sold by Lego Only.

NMM keeps talking about how he is interested in the renewal of the Exclusives pricing policy in January 2015 so that nothing goes below MSRP.

What if that ties to those products and Lego would decide not to renew the agreements specifically in the US where they have a great distribution channel of their own as opposed to some other countries.

What if Lego sells all exclusives direct only.

That would solve NMM's problem and that would be the Chaos that Ed the Chaos Bringer is discussing.

That would make the value of the Town Hall and many other sets as far as us owning them rise significantly over time as the aftermarket resellers have lost their easy sources for more exclusives.

Ed is watching and waiting for the other shoe to drop and I have a feeling we will see it drop before Christmas.

OK I am probably wrong again but that is another track it could follow.

• Like 1

And how should golden tickets work?

The point wasn't the golden tickets, it's that Lego may no longer sell exclusives through Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.

When Ed Mack talks about chaos and big changes and warns us to be prepared, I don't think he's referring to Kingdom Joust retiring.

• Like 1

The point wasn't the golden tickets, it's that Lego may no longer sell exclusives through Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.

When Ed Mack talks about chaos and big changes and warns us to be prepared, I don't think he's referring to Kingdom Joust retiring.

I agree I think Ed's use of the Town Hall thread to muse is purely subterfuge (said respectfully)

Ok - not the big problem for me - bought everything over LEGO Shop at Home and in stores. And its not a big problem ;) 

It's that Lego may no longer sell exclusives through Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.

This may or may not happen, but there is one sign that is has started to happen in the US. I have noticed that there is one exclusive that is only sold in Lego stores and LEGO Shop at Home, and that set is the 10241 Maersk Triple-E. I could not find it for sale by any other retailers like Amazon, Target, etc. This could be a sign of more sets becoming like the Triple-E.

As a new poster McLovin may be on to something. Not the golden tickets but Shipped & Sold by Lego Only.

NMM keeps talking about how he is interested in the renewal of the Exclusives pricing policy in January 2015 so that nothing goes below MSRP.

What if that ties to those products and Lego would decide not to renew the agreements specifically in the US where they have a great distribution channel of their own as opposed to some other countries.

What if Lego sells all exclusives direct only.

That would solve NMM's problem and that would be the Chaos that Ed the Chaos Bringer is discussing.

That would make the value of the Town Hall and many other sets as far as us owning them rise significantly over time as the aftermarket resellers have lost their easy sources for more exclusives.

Ed is watching and waiting for the other shoe to drop and I have a feeling we will see it drop before Christmas.

OK I am probably wrong again but that is another track it could follow.

Interesting theory, but I'm voting no on this one.  TLG has admitted that it's not set up to be a large scale direct-to-customer distributor, and is a bit of a fish out of water in that regard.  That job belongs to Walmart, Amazon, etc.  While it's possible that TLG continues to expand it's distribution network as the company grows, it would make more send to leave that task to the big boys while TLG focuses on production.  (Hello, shortages).  If anything, I could see the big change being to offer fewer products through the stores & shop-at-home website.

Admittedly, I don't see how this would tie into a big change for resellers that Ed is hinting at.  I think that's more related to which sets are retiring this year.