10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Just got my 6 THs from last week's Target order....two to a box.  4 of them are pretty trashed...the other 2 are acceptable but still have very large creases or other problems.  Did anyone who got nice boxes opt for paid shipping, or did everyone do free shipping?  I was worried after seeing all the sort facilities they went through to get here...and I guess for good reason :notme:

Just got my 6 THs from last week's Target order....two to a box.  4 of them are pretty trashed...the other 2 are acceptable but still have very large creases or other problems.  Did anyone who got nice boxes opt for paid shipping, or did everyone do free shipping?  I was worried after seeing all the sort facilities they went through to get here...and I guess for good reason :notme:

Target is very bad at shipping nowadays.

It is even worse than WM.

You get chance of getting lego boxes if you order in pair from WM.

From target, you are destined to get a huge super sized but weak box.

• Like 1

Ah Jeez, I can't keep out of this train wreck.

Has anybody pointed out that Frank Oz is the voice of Yoda in Star Wars?  So obviously the modular series is being replaced with a UCS Dagobah Swamp, no?

Or is it the other Oz...  Man, that one is a copyright nightmare, no one party controls the rights to the brand and part of it is in the public domain. Of course 2014 is the 75th anniversary of the MGM motion picture, which naturally means that we are about to see a new Friends minidoll in a gingham dress, which will kick off an entire Judy Garland theme, followed quickly by a Liza Minelli theme, crowned with a 10,000 piece "Money Makes The World Go Around" set - which will be TLG's secret wink that the investment buyers will never be let down.

Or not...

or maybe it means we'll finally get an Ozzy Osbourne Modular!  :cheese:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/127193

Edited by legopocalypse

I think this is it exactly.

Theory:

Lego will start producing smaller buildings (already started with the bikeshop and cafe). Set is cheaper, smaller and takes less shelf space. Pet Shop is the smallest building I believe. That is why it is still remaining. The Detective Agency will be the last modular.

Like I said: Lego will concentrate more on their core business. Making small and medium sets for kids. Production of the bigger sets will decrease, smaller sets increase. In China most people cannot pay the big sets. But the smaller sets they can.

Oh yeah, definitely. With the rate of exclusives being announced especially in the year 2014 its obvious they will stop rhe bad ass sets. What about the Tumbler then, or the Sandcrawler...or the Slave I, or Volvo front loader? Whatever the percentage is, AFOL have the cash to buy those amazing sets...

Plastic Jesus has spoken!

LMAO!

Stopping AFOL sets is unlikely because of a lots of different factors. LEGO may have capacity issues, but they are building a new plant in China and as I heard will expand in Hungary again. Capacity will be slacker again in the middle term, scaring off AFOLs by stopping their sets just because of short run profits is stupid. You don't scare away a strong customer base who have money just because of short term capacity issues. They did not go public, no stockholders' pressure on them.

The AFOL sets are very important to LEGO after all and strongly connected to the company's new golden age in the recent years, no wonder they are cranking them out at such a pace and diversity as now. They may be 15% of all sales, but (!) how many additional sales do they generate? You are missing the multiplicator effect, where an AFOL buys much more LEGO sets to his kids than an average parent, but first he/she needs to come out of the dark ages. You need exclusives for that. AFOL connected sales may be 30% or more this way. 

I don't want to speculate on what will happen, but I can tell you exclusives won't disappear and will be stronger than ever. What can and probably will change is LEGO's policy regarding them. And a last advice. The more you think about Ed's words the further you go from the truth, not because he intends it but because of how speculative minds work. Oz and wicked? Really? Have you seen SW guys and how Anakin became Vader? Etch that to your mind...

At last someone whose brain hasnt melted of all the pages populated with spam...

Funny thing is.... i've been working and still do business with some of the largest OEMs in the auto business. Sometimes, actually quite often decisions are based on personal view or pure human politics inside the company. Certain people at the top have the political weight to swing things however they like, just because they want to...regardless of being right or wrong. Having these examples in front of me and seeing what happens with the TH there could be thousand of different reasons as to why this set had a shorter life... The majority here are over thinking and filling the forum with cluless speculation like old pensioners sitting on a bench and discussing the politics in a small town in the middle of the Italian countryside...

• Like 2

The mint box I received today was free shipping. Came all the way via ground from Sharonville, OH, stopped in Charleston WV, then again in Greensboro NC, then here.

Thanks...mine stopped at 4 sort facilities to get from Sharonville to NJ via UPS Ground.  I know box damage doesn't always kill the value, but still pretty bummed that I couldn't even get one good box in 6.

I haven't read this whole thread, but it seems like everyone is speculating that TLG may be doing away with AFOL sets altogether simply because TH is retiring before PS...if that is the gist of the past however many pages of this thread, that has to rank up there with one of the dumbest things that I've ever seen speculated about on this board.  TH retiring before PS only means one thing...TH is retiring before PS.

Ha.  Yes. 

Yesterday, at 11:54 PM Pacific time, we were on post #1476, which was page 74.  As of 4:02 PM Pacific time, we are on post #1753, and page 88.  Nearly 300 posts and 14 pages.  Got to be near the record, if it isn't.

Indeed! I read some of the posts on page 75 before going to school today and when I checked after school it was on page 86. I was like, holy crap! How can the topic get so many posts in so little time? The topic was less than 10 pages long before 2x VIP points.