10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

I think that the sheer number of other large/exclusive sets being released changes things up big time.  With several lines getting big sets there is limited shelf space, and the modular series may be coming to an end (nothing lasts forever, and we both know hearts can change...and November is just around the corner).

Another key to my line of thinking is not only is there the Creator Bike Shop 3 in 1, but the next creator wave also has a similar set (although smaller, probably to boost sales)...it is the Toy Shop if memory serves correctly.  Seems crazy to offer lower price point modular-type sets as well as rolling out larger ones, too. That and having a huge line of modulars really makes it tough for TLG to roll out creative new big sets. Maybe the success/demand of the Tumbler is telling them that it is time to change things up.

That an it seems a slam dunk that the new SW films are going to result in plenty of focus/new/big sets...only so much shelf space, production capacity, etc.

Bottom line, I'm not waiting forever to start adding to my modulars...I'm getting a couple more with double VIP :)

• Like 1

Can you feel it ,see it, hear it today?
If you can't, then it doesn't matter anyway
You will never understand it 'cause it happens too fast
And it feels so good, it's like walking on glass

It's so cool, it's so hip, it's alright
It's so groovy, it's outta sight
You can touch it, smell it, taste it so sweet
But it makes no difference 'cause it knocks you off your feet

Stopping AFOL sets is unlikely because of a lots of different factors. LEGO may have capacity issues, but they are building a new plant in China and as I heard will expand in Hungary again. Capacity will be slacker again in the middle term, scaring off AFOLs by stopping their sets just because of short run profits is stupid. You don't scare away a strong customer base who have money just because of short term capacity issues. They did not go public, no stockholders' pressure on them.

The AFOL sets are very important to LEGO after all and strongly connected to the company's new golden age in the recent years, no wonder they are cranking them out at such a pace and diversity as now. They may be 15% of all sales, but (!) how many additional sales do they generate? You are missing the multiplicator effect, where an AFOL buys much more LEGO sets to his kids than an average parent, but first he/she needs to come out of the dark ages. You need exclusives for that. AFOL connected sales may be 30% or more this way. 

I don't want to speculate on what will happen, but I can tell you exclusives won't disappear and will be stronger than ever. What can and probably will change is LEGO's policy regarding them. And a last advice. The more you think about Ed's words the further you go from the truth, not because he intends it but because of how speculative minds work. Oz and wicked? Really? Have you seen SW guys and how Anakin became Vader? Etch that to your mind...

Edited by inversion

Access to secrets may begin through "luck" for some, and as strategy for others...

Intuition, judgment, and attention to detail make the difference in the long run, though.

Above all, I believe it is foolish to take the stance that there is nothing others cannot offer us, no matter our own position.

(The next most foolish thing may be to take blindly what is offered, or at least to devour it without proper seasoning.)

Just my little opinion, of course :)

FYI I'm a believer (I think), currently in the process of spending my Christmas Lego budget on Town Halls. Seven in total, you better be right about this Mack!

If I am wrong, you have 7 Town Halls that will appreciate nicely one day.  Feel free to sell them to me now.  

I haven't read this whole thread, but it seems like everyone is speculating that TLG may be doing away with AFOL sets altogether simply because TH is retiring before PS...if that is the gist of the past however many pages of this thread, that has to rank up there with one of the dumbest things that I've ever seen speculated about on this board.  TH retiring before PS only means one thing...TH is retiring before PS.

• Like 3

I think that Ed's message has been consistent.

1) TH is a goner.

2) The reason it is retiring sooner than most thought has nothing to do with sales or box size.

3) We can no longer count on predictable retirement dates for large exclusives, even modulars. This may be a strategy to avoid wild swings in inventory.

• Like 1

All I originally posted was..."Maybe the Town Hall retiring had nothing to do with sales."   Then people started talking about Oz, fat men and Hamlet.  Go figure.

to be fair, I think your exact quote was "Maybe the Town Hall retiring had nothing to do with sales, and more to do with oompa loompas, tornados, Aunt Em, wicked witches, Dorothy, the scarecrow, tin man and the lion." 

You didn't mention Oz, but I feel like you were subtly hinting at it in that above quote.

I haven't read this whole thread, but it seems like everyone is speculating that TLG may be doing away with AFOL sets altogether simply because TH is retiring before PS...if that is the gist of the past however many pages of this thread, that has to rank up there with one of the dumbest things that I've ever seen speculated about on this board.  TH retiring before PS only means one thing...TH is retiring before PS.

That's not why they are speculating that. The real reason is even more funny. Just a random Ed quote and the speculation went wild. You really should read it. It's fun. Like in a Wacky Races sort of way.