10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

You ever watch kids play soccer (or football to the rest of the world [or fitba for the Scottish])? It's just 22 kids in a mob chasing the ball up and down the pitch.

The next modular will be a stadium !!!

(...oh sorry, I thought we had to translate another enigma from Ed :P )

I don't have an opinion on the discussion of modular buildings continuing but the new modular makes 10 buildings and a complete city block - from a design standpoint, there is no need to further expand the line.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

If modulars go on hiatus, then the "change" would be for those whose investment style is to "invest in exclusives" (since there will be less selection of exclusives, and non-modular exclusives are a bit riskier)

Half of the 'exclusive' line of Lego will vanish. Not only the modulars.. the reason is to make room for the basics Lego is about: Construction toys for children from different age and less focus on AFOL's, This will hurt the much hated reseller community in the future because there will be much less sets to invest in. Amen.

Edited by JM123

Hmmmm... Last words of the songs are "No More!"

I'm going to stick with my prediction this morning the entire modular building line is gone and perhaps they will not even release the detective agency after all. They will let the existing ones retire out in some order over the next year

We are the wayward son and we can't see what Ed is trying to tell us which is major chaotic changes the end of the line no more

That's my prediction thought I would go big rather than go home though I'll probably be wrong

I'm going to stick with my prediction this morning the entire modular building line is gone and perhaps they will not even release the detective agency after all. They will let the existing ones retire out in some order over the next year

We are the wayward son and we can't see what Ed is trying to tell us which is major chaotic changes the end of the line no more

That's my prediction thought I would go big rather than go home though I'll probably be wrong

Why should lego retire all of them? I dont get the point... The afols have the money for expensive sets...

Why should lego retire all of them? I dont get the point... The afols have the money for expensive sets...

They do not have unlimited capacity. Lots of new themes coming next year. I am guessing Detective Agency will be the last modular. More sets to come after the Mixer for the amusement park theme. Possible Wizard of Oz theme coming. Just guesses based on Ed's cryptic comments. Much more fun to hear the guesses than just have Ed blurt it out :)

I see some business validity in them stopping AFOL sets. It will cost them some short term income, no doubt. But I bet they are fielding a LOT of complaints from parents about greasy dudes standing in line waiting for stores to open, buying up inventory, and trying to score free sets from their kids. In order to make sure the younger generation are AFOLs in the future, they cut ties with the current generation (who have pumped millions into their coffers) and focus on making future AFOLs (at which time they will release new AFOL sets) and the cycle continues.

• Like 1

"Chaos", Town Hall retiring out or order, "Big changes for some"... Maybe LEGO has just decided to retire their products in an unpredictable order. The modulars somehow are/were a symbol for retiring in order - what came first, went first and nothing newer before the older ones. TH is the first modular to break with that rule. And so maybe LEGO is going to apply the "chaotic retirement" rule to its whole line of exclusives. Why? One main reason could be to scare off resellers who were able to buy close to EOL because retirements dates were predictable enough to wait until the end - resulting in mass buying and other logistically inconvenient events for LEGO. "Some", in Eds words, could be the ones who only stocked up close to EOL. The others would then be those who started buying early enough to never be caught without any of the set(s) they wanted. The consequence for LEGO would be that the buying will be more balanced over the entire line of sets - not primarily the older ones. The biggest effect of this might be that all the small time investors with very limited storing space will turn away from investing because they never know when their stock will start to gain value. The big players with sufficient money and space will stay where they are. I guess this is just a first strategy LEGO applies, if this doesnt work they will come up with something else. But it will not be re-releasing sets. This woul be totally against their policy of keeping their portfolio fresh.

Edited by rfish
  • Like 2