10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Well.. Cafe Corner was also regarded ugly, but in the end collectors do want the complete modular line. What is a (modular) city without a TH? Think it will be a very desirable set in the future. Think people don't have this feeling with UCS models, that they want to collect them all. But that's just my opinion.

I'd say the point of "complete modulars" collection applies to less and less people as time goes by. I mean how many people could ever complete their collection buying all - a CC, MS AND a GG? So, I think what more and more collectors will say is: "Well, I could'nt get Cafe Corner or Green Grocer, so, I doesn't matter if I get Town Hall either, because in the end it is ugly anway - I'll go buy a nice GE." The percentage of NEW collectors starting now who will be able (or financially willing) to get a complete collection is close to zero. So for me the "complete collection" argument is not valid anymore.

You also have to take into consideration that people want to feel good after buying, they like to be "proud" of what they spent (much) money for. Cafe Corner might be "ugly" too, but it IS a LEGEND. People buying it can be proud of owning the legedary CC - so they will invest that much money. As for TH - it is NOT a legend by any means and there is not a big chance it will be one some day - meaning it will solely remain scarce but unappealing. In my opinion what counts more of today is what modulars look like beacuse NONE of them will get to that legendary status of CC, MS or GG anymore.

Edited by rfish
  • Like 1

I have a problem with the validity of the popular theory in this forum saying: "Set A (Town Hall) will do better post-retirement because it was sold less than Set B (Grand Emporium) while they where available regularly".

It's just a feeling held by other posters, not something you have to believe yourself.  A lot of people here speculate about what makes a set desirable post-retirement, inclduing yourself with the theory you presented.  If you should disagree with others, just let it pass.  Don't let it get to you.

Edited by ericb

I'd say the point of "complete modulars" collection applies to less and less people as time goes by. I mean how many people could ever complete their collection buying all - a CC, MS AND a GG? So, I think what more and more collectors will say is: "Well, I could'nt get Cafe Corner or Green Grocer, so, I doesn't matter if I get Town Hall either, because in the end it is ugly anway - I'll go buy a nice GE." The percentage of NEW collectors starting now who will be able (or financially willing) to get a complete collection is close to zero. So for me the "complete collection" argument is not valid anymore.

But with your way of thinking nobody will buy a set at 2x MSRP and they did.

You don't want a future Cafe Corner or Green Grocer okey so don't buy any.

We don't know which CAGR TH will do but if you think about number you will have maybe 1 TH for  30 (EDIT GE SORRY )  hoarded by investisors now. Do you think GE is 30 X much better than TH ...

Edited by fondkick
  • Like 1

It's just a feeling held by other posters, not something you have to believe yourself.  A lot of people here speculate about what makes a set desirable post-retirement, inclduing yourself with the theory you presented.  If you should disagree with others, just let it pass.  Don't let it get to you.

You're right. But my point being the above theory is maybe the most POPULAR here and I hardly hear anything different although this popular theory has some serious holes.

You also have to take into consideration that people want to feel good after buying, they like to be "proud" of what they spent (much) money for. Cafe Corner might be "ugly" too, but it IS a LEGEND. People buying it can be proud of owning the legedary CC - so they will invest that much money. As for TH - it is NOT a legend by any means and there is not a big chance it will be one some day - meaning it will solely remain scarce but unappealing. In my opinion what counts more of today is what modulars look like beacuse NONE of them will get to that legendary status of CC, MS or GG anymore.

It's how you look at it. TH is the largest and has most bricks of all modulars upto date. I find it well construced and sober. I don't need a screaming GE in my collection (I do have one tho). Bottom line... there are always people that will like the TH and want to pay a certain price for it. It's the fundaments of the market. Will it go as high as GG? Who knows. I doubt it, but I don't need it to be up there either. I'd sell my TH's for 400, I am a happy man.

Edit: 

Des go Edited by Neosphinx

You're right. But my point being the above theory is maybe the most POPULAR here and I hardly hear anything different although this popular theory has some serious holes.

Everybody here has its own theory and that's fine, it's good to have a discussion. Lego investing consists in my opinion mainly out of 2 components: Economics and taste. Everything is subjective, it differs per person. Some investors are more rational and analytic (economics) some buy more on there own and others feeling' about a set (taste). How you combine them is leading to a certain investment strategy, so everybody thinks different about certain sets and how much they will buy of it.

• Like 1

If we put in numbers GE vs TH at this moment with pessimistic numbers for TH

desirability 10 vs 6(but i think it's more)
availability 10 vs 4(probably less)

So even with only 2 variables you can see that the TH can perform better than GE.

Bricklink EU qty GE vs TH 316 vs 87

Bricklink EU on wanted list GE vs TH 458 vs 347

• Like 1

In a modular township, certain buildings are essential, while others are optional. One need not have all the modular cafes, restaurants, shops etc but there has to be a townhall. And lego will likely only make only 1 townhall in the entire life of modular building series.

Funny thing was that the SSD was also available at LegoWorld Utrecht last week. It was sold with a 10% discount by the Intertoys stand at that event, 4 of them were standing on the shelves in very good condition. I was also asking if they had brought HH's, but unfortunately not :-P

I ordered 4 TH's yesterday evening at Collishop. Does anyone know what the current stock is at Collishop.be? Are all SSD's sold out at Collishop? That is amazing. So fast!?

I was monitoring it yesterdag evening. TH went down from 66 to 0 in just 2 hours. Me and another investor are responsible for a total of 14 pieces leaving stock ;-)

I don't know anything about SSD. Was it still in stock there?! :-O

Edited by JM123

I was monitoring it yesterdag evening. TH went down from 66 to 0 in just 2 hours. Me and another investor are responsible for a total of 14 pieces leaving stock ;-)

The last time I checked SSD was still there at 399 minus 15% discount. But we have to ask the Colli Expert (Neosphinx) to jump in on this.

I bought 2 HH TH yesterday. And it is weird. SSD was gone last week. Then day after back, and now again gone. And there were plenty in stock of them. It seems curious that they disapeared so quickly again.

Bearcrash. Ah, I thought you meant for SSD it was some time ago. Was it last week?

Edited by Neosphinx