10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Yep let your winners run but cut your losers early. Luckily for us most participants do the exact opposite. I know plenty who are selling FB but holding Lone Ranger and LOTR.

I agree.  I recently dumped my Lone Ranger at a slight profit (very slight) and have been dumping the LOTR.  Except ToO I do not see them appreciating much in value.

My only question is I am at 15 of the TH and if I get the opportunity to get more, I am thinking about selling some of my FB to cover more TH purchases.

I guess the name of the game is long term total appreciation and I wonder if I could increase my portfolio by getting out of FB's and converting into more TH's should the opportunity arise.  Though I am not fully convinced.  Opinions?

I just find it interesting a few weeks ago when all the feuding was going on I decide to mostly remove myself from commenting on this thread as it was going nowhere.  Now there seems to be a situation where no one is feuding and everyone is talking about how many they are scooping up, I got one, etc and there is little dissent, though nothing is proven.  My how times change. :)

Sounds like you observed the Target limit 8? hehe  I think they must enforce it as much as TRU enforces there limits which is not.

Yea, I hit one order, then went fro another and it dropped me to 6 available.  I took forever too, as I wasn't logged in etc, wrong CC.  I figured no way.  Then CC flagged as fraud, jumped through those hoops and still snagged the second order.  BP's must have been looking at flowers at that particular moment.

• Like 1

I agree.  I recently dumped my Lone Ranger at a slight profit (very slight) and have been dumping the LOTR.  Except ToO I do not see them appreciating much in value.

My only question is I am at 15 of the TH and if I get the opportunity to get more, I am thinking about selling some of my FB to cover more TH purchases.

I guess the name of the game is long term total appreciation and I wonder if I could increase my portfolio by getting out of FB's and converting into more TH's should the opportunity arise.  Though I am not fully convinced.  Opinions?

Keep FB but buy more TH. With 90 day free returns that would be the best strategy right now IMO.

I was a doubter 3 weeks ago but after TLG tipped its hand then it is time to go all in. I am in this game to make money, not to be right.

• Like 2

Dump the crap, not a FB.  

• Like 2

Yea, I hit one order, then went fro another and it dropped me to 6 available.  I took forever too, as I wasn't logged in etc, wrong CC.  I figured no way.  Then CC flagged as fraud, jumped through those hoops and still snagged the second order.  BP's must have been looking at flowers at that particular moment.

Little plastic LEGO flowers.

• Like 1

I admire your efforts to secure the 14.  Great work. :)

Not to get off topic but let's not put Lone Ranger and LOTR in the same category.  One was a single failed movie which is already forgotten and the other a beloved franchise that will stand the test of time.  I'd put LOTR more in the category of Indiana Jones and those are doing ok, though it depends on the set... it will be the same for LOTR.

• Like 1

Keep FB but buy more TH. With 90 day free returns that would be the best strategy right now IMO.

I was a doubter 3 weeks ago but after TLG tipped its hand then it is time to go all in. I am in this game to make money, not to be right.

Dump the crap, not a FB.  

Thanks guys, I will find more "other stuff" to unload and hang on to the FB. :)

I still have plenty of other garbage to unload.

I have found the light on larger $ near retirement exclusives though and have been spending my time focusing most of my cash resources on them. :)

So, several weeks after, would anyone who initially voted as not retiring update that if you have changed your mind? You can pull your vote and revote. Would be interesting what the forum perception is right now on whether this set retires this year.

I voted 2015 and still believe january 2015.

People act like this set is already retired. We have a saying in dutch, Je moet het vel van de beer niet verkopen vooreer hij geschoten is. Seems alot of people here are already selling the skin of the bear before they shot it.

People act like this set is already retired. We have a saying in dutch, Je moet het vel van de beer niet verkopen vooreer hij geschoten is. Seems alot of people here are already selling the skin of the bear before they shot it.

Exactly... when did TLC ever marked things as retired in November or December...

I'd put LOTR more in the category of Indiana Jones and those are doing ok, though it depends on the set... it will be the same for LOTR.

200% agree with that.

I will find more "other stuff" to unload and hang on to the FB.

I forbid you to resell your FBs now ! (unless you just want your money back, of course)

That's not a year since it's retired !!

• Like 1

200% agree with that.

I forbid you to resell your FBs now ! (unless you just want your money back, of course)

That's not a year since it's retired !!

Glad everyone is resolute on not selling FB's!  By the way my cost on the 4 I have was $119 each and I could sell for $299 each so I would certainly do better than getting my money back but I need patience Obi Wan.  They are off the selling block now!

Glad everyone is resolute on not selling FB's!  By the way my cost on the 4 I have was $119 each and I could sell for $299 each so I would certainly do better than getting my money back but I need patience Obi Wan.  They are off the selling block now!

If capital is an issue there is plenty of free unsecured money floating around after affiliate cash back. It won't always be this way so use it to grow now if you are so inclined. Make sure you are a proven seller first and have a solid business plan in place.

Having LEGO declare a set "retired" is just a confirmation of what a sharp and savvy investor investor already knows.  If people are waiting for a set to be officially marked as such, they are already too late and will never make any money investing in LEGO sets.  

• Like 3

If capital is an issue there is plenty of free unsecured money floating around after affiliate cash back. It won't always be this way so use it to grow now if you are so inclined. Make sure you are a proven seller first and have a solid business plan in place.

Thanks for tips.  I can actually get more cash that is not the issue it is deciding if I want to expand my inventory and operations beyond my original plans or if at some point I need to start flipping some things.  I have made a good margin this year on operations for it being a hobby but I think I will continue to dump the low margin profit non exclusive sets I had built up, to funnel more into the exclusives as I "try" to become a more savvy Lego investor.

Dump the crap, not a FB.  

Quoted for truth.

If you've been smart in picking up sets, even the crap ones, you should (hopefully) at worst break even.  What other investment can you make where you get to pull your money out and get it back penny for penny, with no penalty?  Obviously, it's not going to happen every time.  But you can make it happen a lot of the time.

End of the day, I'm dumping my crap right now, so I can free up funds for the stuff that matters.  Hold that FB.

Quoted for truth.

If you've been smart in picking up sets, even the crap ones, you should (hopefully) at worst break even.  What other investment can you make where you get to pull your money out and get it back penny for penny, with no penalty?  Obviously, it's not going to happen every time.  But you can make it happen a lot of the time.

End of the day, I'm dumping my crap right now, so I can free up funds for the stuff that matters.  Hold that FB.

I agree with you completely, with just a few exceptions, generally I have at worst on worst sets been able to unload any set that I hold for 12 months from purchase at a minimum of 10% pretax profit.  Many people would love to have 10% pretax on what they sell in any business.

One exception for me, those board games LOTR & Batman. I imported a stack of them from Australia at $120-$150 each.  I had sold many of them at $300-$350 each. I still have a stack left and will probably have to unload the balance at $65-70 each since Lego emptied there warehouse to a UK toy liquidator many months ago.  Overall though even though those will take a loss, my investment on them as a whole will be about break even.