10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

That's a storage thing. It is not always nice to have them around, especially not for longer than necessary. :)

That's what's great about this, everyone thinks differently. For sets like this, I would say it's foolish at this point in the game.

On a negative note, everyone that plays this return game and waste time and money returning them, also pulls money away from the site.  I see plenty of $-xxx.xx every month from people who freak out and have regrets or thinks they are wheeling and dealing.

Sellers are upset that eBay and Amazon have a 90 days return policy but they enjoy buying from B&M retailers since they have same policy.

That's how eBay and Amazon compete and attract buyers to your stores. Not cool but that is business .

I just spoke with Paypal about them changing their policy to 180 days. This is 6 months that customers can return something and say it is not as described.

I told them, that this is going to cause a lot of problems with ebay sellers, as ebay only holds information for 60 days. So anybody can make a claim after 60 days and anyone selling on ebay would have no way to prove if an item is as described or not. They said that they appreciate the input and have not rolled out this system yet, but will take this into consideration. And that they will probably require ebay to extend there hold period or will come up with some other solution. I do recommend that more people complain about this though.

I just took a return on amz for a $100 21110 I sold a month ago. If I honor long return policies I'm going to use (abuse?) them too.

just saying that there is a reason why eBay and amazon have extended return policies over the holiday season, and overall it is a good thing for sellers using their platform ( scammers aside)

I just spoke with Paypal about them changing their policy to 180 days. This is 6 months that customers can return something and say it is not as described.

I told them, that this is going to cause a lot of problems with ebay sellers, as ebay only holds information for 60 days. So anybody can make a claim after 60 days and anyone selling on ebay would have no way to prove if an item is as described or not. They said that they appreciate the input and have not rolled out this system yet, but will take this into consideration. And that they will probably require ebay to extend there hold period or will come up with some other solution. I do recommend that more people complain about this though.

180 days is def an overkill

On a negative note, everyone that plays this return game and waste time and money returning them, also pulls money away from the site.

How is returning an item pulling money away from this site? Something with the affiliate links?

On a side note: let your next post be a nice one. It will be your 3000th. Congrats.

What is with the returning thing?  Regardless of what happens, isn't it nice to say you have them.  They won't be around forever.

I think that there is a large influx of people flipping sets.  The number of posts and topics referencing flipping is increasing compared to long-term posts.

If people don't have room for the set, then don't buy it or perhaps sell other sets first (or the other TH sets that you have!)

How is returning an item pulling money away from this site? Something with the affiliate links?

On a side note: let your next post be a nice one. It will be your 3000th. Congrats.

Yes, its all tied together.  If users return items that were purchased when clicking any affiliate link, once that revenue gone, they don't allow us to keep the money, they pull it.  

I haven't been here long, but I've noticed the skew toward "flipping" over "investing" in a lot of these threads.  Investing implies long term, imho. Some spend $200 to make $50 in a month. Others choose to spend $200, store it, water and feed it, and sell for $400 in three years. I'm the latter, but both have their place.

I'm holding my THs for the long run, but to each his/her own.

I haven't been here long, but I've noticed the skew toward "flipping" over "investing" in a lot of these threads.  Investing implies long term, imho. Some spend $200 to make $50 in a month. Others choose to spend $200, store it, water and feed it, and sell for $400 in three years. I'm the latter, but both have their place.

Long term investing does not require talking. You just buy sets and sit on them, sometimes sell - why talk?. Would be world's most silent forum if not for flippers... And don't forget that there are plenty of folks here who do mix flipping with long term investing. 

And you are making $200 in 36 month, while QFLL folks are making $50x36=$1800 in same time period

Edited by No More Monkeys
  • Like 2

What is with the returning thing?  Regardless of what happens, isn't it nice to say you have them.  They won't be around forever.

I believe there is also a level of credibility that gets built up on your amazon, target, etc accounts if you do not make a lot of returns or requests for discounts. I almost never make returns or ask for discounts but earlier in the year right before EOL I bought two SSD from amazon, they arrived a little damaged so I though why not it was a big order and the packaging could have been way better, so I requested a small discount.  Customer service granted 40% discount on both SSD, so $240 each.  I feel there is no way they would have offered such a high discount if I had been known for frequent returns and discount requests. I personally don't like accepting returns or making them.

• Like 1

Some people do both and aren't so rigid. I have long term investments, mid range investments and short term flips. Long term investments are sets that aren't close to eol. Mid range are sets that just became eol or are about to and short term flips are sets that have been retired for a while I managed to find or new sets that i am hoping will have hiliday shortages. I consider short term anything 6 months or less, mid range 6 months - 3 years and long term over 3 years. Disversify

• Like 1

Long term investing gets expensive fast. Buy a few big sets and you may not be buying anything else for months. After I loaded up on SSDs over the summer I tried to stay off this site. Brickpicker will make you spend money you don't have quite easily. 

Flipping keeps you buying and selling, posting on brickpicker, hunting deals, looking at amz ebay target ect... more exciting. 

I believe there is also a level of credibility that gets built up on your amazon, target, etc accounts if you do not make a lot of returns or requests for discounts. I almost never make returns or ask for discounts but earlier in the year right before EOL I bought two SSD from amazon, they arrived a little damaged so I though why not it was a big order and the packaging could have been way better, so I requested a small discount.  Customer service granted 40% discount on both SSD, so $240 each.  I feel there is no way they would have offered such a high discount if I had been known for frequent returns and discount requests. I personally don't like accepting returns or making them.

It's all tracked and retailers are taking notice.  Eventually people who return on a large scale will hurt every customer because the retailers will adapt their policies.  They already are.

The "flippers" are the vocal part of the community.  The long term "investor" usually sits back, keeps quiet and watch the flippers freak out when these sets go in and out of stock.  It's entertainment at its finest... :rofl:

• Like 2

It's all tracked and retailers are taking notice.  Eventually people who return on a large scale will hurt every customer because the retailers will adapt their policies.  They already are.

It's interesting how they are playing both sides.  You see eBay and Amazon increasing their return window.  There's talk in this thread about Paypal increasing their return window to 180 days.  While other retailers are taking notice and possibly shrinking their return window.  It's a push/pull as these companies try to balance making themselves attractive to the consumer, while also protecting their own bottom line.

Long term investing does not require talking. You just buy sets and sit on them, sometimes sell - why talk?. Would be world's most silent forum if not for flippers... And don't forget that there are plenty of folks here who do mix flipping with long term investing. 

And you are making $200 in 36 month, while QFLL folks are making $50x36=$1800 in same time period

i think you logic is wrong ... quick flipping one set for $50 for 36 months = $1800 ... thats 36 sets in 36 months

now imagine if you had 36 sets and held them for 36 months and sold them at $200 each = $$$$$$$$$$$

i think you logic is wrong ... quick flipping one set for $50 for 36 months = $1800 ... thats 36 sets in 36 months

now imagine if you had 36 sets and held them for 36 months and sold them at $200 each = $$$$$$$$$$$

Your logic is wrong, too. Flipper need $200 to start with, and uses the same fund to buy each time, rinse and repeat. To hold 36 sets for 36 months you need $$$$$$$$$$ in the very beginning.

Your logic is wrong, too. Flipper need $200 to start with, and uses the same fund to buy each time, rinse and repeat. To hold 36 sets for 36 months you need $$$$$$$$$$ in the very beginning.

Or, following another logic, why wouldn't flipper flip 36 sets each month :-) for 36 months, if he had access to such kind of initial capital

Edited by No More Monkeys

Gotta love Walmart.

Ordered 2 sets of 2 today.

Tonight I get an email from this with this as an advertisement to order:

Now in stock: LEGO Creator Town Hall Play Set

Of course it is out of stock

Then another 2 hours later I get this for my 2nd order (first order processing):

Unfortunately, one or more items you ordered are currently on backorder and may not arrive by the original estimated delivery date. We expect to have the items back in stock soon, but we are unable to provide you with a revised delivery date at this time.

If we cannot ship this item to you within the next 10 days, we will automatically cancel it from your order and notify you via email. If you paid with a credit/debit card, any authorization hold placed on your account will automatically expire in accordance with the card issuer's policy. All other payment methods will be refunded and the funds should be available within 10 business days.