10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Of the 15 or so they had Friday, my Lego store has 2 left now. Manager said the freaking panic buyers cleaned him out in a day. He said this set is years from retiring (I know, I know). He said he didn't understand why when a set is temporarily sold out online the vultures swoop in on the stores. But either way, the two they had left in the store were 38R4. He even pointed that out. Said they were brand new and they were definitely expecting more new ones in for the rest of the year normally, but says he really can't predict what the panic buyers are going to do to normal inventory this year, it is insane (his words). I know this will anger people, but it was just my experience. I took a picture of the seal code but it is in my camera at home.

• Like 1

The entire assumption that Town Hall will retire is based on testimonials from employees and assumption that it did not sell well and is going because of that. Some people should really try and show some more restraint

Oh yeah, and Mr. Mack talking about fat people and their verbal capacities added some oil to the fire too :)

Edited by Neosphinx

The entire assumption that Town Hall will retire is based on testimonials from employees and assumption that it did not sell well and is going because of that. Some people should really try and show some more restraint

Oh yeah, and Mr. Mack talking about fat people and their verbal capacities added some oil to the fire too :)

Neosphinx on TH my assumption on retirement is based totally on Ed Mack and his pontifications, not on employees or sales.

Maybe. Maybe not. I seriously doubt the rumors posted on BP alone is making this set sold-out. There seems to be something else going on.

Here's my 2 cents.

Regardless whether this set retires in 2014 or 2015, why take a chance? We have the largest set from a very popular theme and it's not discounted anymore. Worse case is you pick it up and hold for longer then desired. At least you won't get caught by surprised if it does indeed go EOL. I think the possible risk of not having the set is greater than holding onto it for extra time.

• Like 3

Of the 15 or so they had Friday, my Lego store has 2 left now. Manager said the freaking panic buyers cleaned him out in a day. He said this set is years from retiring (I know, I know). He said he didn't understand why when a set is temporarily sold out online the vultures swoop in on the stores. But either way, the two they had left in the store were 38R4. He even pointed that out. Said they were brand new and they were definitely expecting more new ones in for the rest of the year normally, but says he really can't predict what the panic buyers are going to do to normal inventory this year, it is insane (his words). I know this will anger people, but it was just my experience. I took a picture of the seal code but it is in my camera at home.

Given the massive sweep, how come nobody else reported 38R4 for TH yet?

Maybe. Maybe not. I seriously doubt the rumors posted on BP alone is making this set sold-out. There seems to be something else going on.

Here's my 2 cents.

Regardless whether this set retires in 2014 or 2015, why take a chance? We have the largest set from a very popular theme and it's not discounted anymore. Worse case is you pick it up and hold for longer then desired. At least you won't get caught by surprised if it does indeed go EOL. I think the possible risk of not having the set is greater than holding onto it for extra time.

Completely agree but that again is a difference between European and US market. Here modulars get discounted too. Not via LEGO Shop at Home but other shops yes. If you feel that it will be the cheapest you will ever get the set, then yes, one should buy. I'm convinced it will retire but I have only 2 of them (for months already) and as long as I see they are somewhat in stock in shops, I won't buy too many of them. I'm sure that the 'something else that is going on" will be clear the next 3 months :)

This hype over town hall is surprising, this set has been a limit of 2 for a while and when nobody was talking about it much at all before Double VIP, maybe a few large resellers on this site purchased many through multiple accounts and started a hype train to get everyone going nuts over in my opinion what is a sub-par set, I don't know. I personally wouldn't stock up on a set other than getting 1 or 2 because nobody has really cared about until a sort of panic greed buying set in.  If I had the money I'd at least have 1 or 2 Death Star Sets, a few GE's and I'd purchase some recently retired sets off Fleabay etc. like Sopwith.

Here's my 2 cents.

Very well said.

All this leads me to believe is that there are way way more Brickpickers attempting to invest and resell than anyone has any idea of(they aren't posting) if sets are getting cleaned out of retail stores within a day of Shop at Home simply becuase they are temporarily Sold out or Out of stock, unbelievable.

I could care less if TH is retiring right now or not. If I can squeeze $50 or $100 out of a few sets on CL this time of year from panicked parents who were robbed of the opportunity to buy this in the stores because of those GD reseller scum, who am I to say no? I am here to serve you, the disenfranchised parents of rich kids who must have these sets for christmas.

Edited by tonysbricks
  • Like 1

This hype over town hall is surprising, this set has been a limit of 2 for a while and when nobody was talking about it much at all before Double VIP, maybe a few large resellers on this site purchased many through multiple accounts and started a hype train to get everyone going nuts over in my opinion what is a sub-par set, I don't know. I personally wouldn't stock up on a set other than getting 1 or 2 because nobody has really cared about until a sort of panic greed buying set in.  If I had the money I'd at least have 1 or 2 Death Star Sets, a few GE's and I'd purchase some recently retired sets off Fleabay etc. like Sopwith.

A sub-par set??? What a cruel thing to say of this beautiful piece!

All this leads me to believe is that there are way way more Brickpickers attempting to invest and resell than anyone has any idea of(they aren't posting) if sets are getting cleaned out of retail stores within a day of Shop at Home simply becuase they are temporarily Sold out or Out of stock, unbelievable.

Believe

Believe

post-31357-0-39795500-1412688696.jpeg

Here's my 2 cents.

True enough. I have two. One of which I got 3 weeks ago on Ebay for $160 shipped when no one cared about this set. If it retires I have two. But honestly I was totally expecting to hold these two for a few years and buy 2-4 more over the next year or so. I still think that is what is going to happen. I can post a pic of the 38R4 tonight if you guys really want to see it.