10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

We can agree on that, but saying that they laughed at a question (indicating there was no way the set will retire soon) makes it sound like we should all assume it won't retire.

I take all the information I can, but being a very frequent visitor at my local store has taught me to never take anything they say at face value.

I take this "employee laughing at question" thing with a sack of salt. If you just go up to a shop employee and ask them if that or that set is going EOL soon. Then yes, it would be a good reaction but if you social engineer it somewhat, you can get reasonable information from them.

And they don't need to know when a set will retire. The only piece of information they can share that can point to an EOL is when they don't receive any shipments of said set anymore. 

I know but I just find it sad how Lego employees here are being branded. Some say they are a conspiring bunch dedicated in misinforming us, bp'ers. Others say they are too dumb to know anything.. Bref, if an employee tells you something, listen to them. And afterwards, try to look for more info to verify this information.

I simply don't think you can just dismiss any information coming from them.

• Like 2

I take this "employee laughing at question" thing with a sack of salt. If you just go up to a shop employee and ask them if that or that set is going EOL soon. Then yes, it would be a good reaction but if you social engineer it somewhat, you can get reasonable information from them.

And they don't need to know when a set will retire. The only piece of information they can share that can point to an EOL is when they don't receive any shipments of said set anymore.

I know but I just find it sad how Lego employees here are being branded. Some say they are a conspiring bunch dedicated in misinforming us, bp'ers. Others say they are too dumb to know anything.. Bref, if an employee tells you something, listen to them. And afterwards, try to look for more info to verify this information.

I simply don't think you can just dismiss any information coming from them.

I don't dismiss anything, nor I completely accept anything. I have absolutely nothing against store employees.

• Like 1

I don't see why you would not pay attention. They can inform you about future deliveries to their store. Most of the time, employees of Lego shops are pictured as being clueless with the IQ of a demented hamster, but when a set don't come in no more, it don't come in no matter what resides in your skull. Should you believe every word they say? No, but you can cross reference what they say with other retailers or other shops.

Before this goes too far, my reference and FCB's response to my post had nothing to do with LEGO employees.  On the topic of LEGO employees, some of the best information comes from LEGO store employees, you just have to speak to the right ones.

I have a guy that works at my local Lego store who is also an avid collector and has been for some time. He knows Lego inside and out. Does he know when sets are done? Heck no. But he also sits in a store and sees what gets put back on the shelf and how often. I always listen to what he has to say. Never hurts to pick employees brains. But I always buy what I set out to buy and don't stray too often. My wallet already hurts enough.

• Like 1

I hate to reopen old wounds, but going forward, it does seem fair to assume at least a 25% discount for regular (non exclusive) sets and none at all for exclusives.  With FB vs. HD, ok, they were both obtainable at a discount.  But it appears that exclusives are, in general, no longer discounted.  Without allowing for this difference in pricing policies at retailers, exclusives will appear to be the only game in town, when in reality a 50% off regular set sold for MSRP offers just as good a return as a MSRP exclusive sold for 2 x MSRP.

Well I am up to 5 Town Halls but I would like to get some more.

I called about 30 of the 78 Lego stores in NA today. 29 were out. 1 had stock but local pickup only.

If anyone has locations that ship to home and still have stock that your aware of please PM me.

Wow...talk about taking one for the team.

• Like 1

I called about 30 of the 78 Lego stores in NA today. 29 were out. 1 had stock but local pickup only.

If anyone has locations that ship to home and still have stock that your aware of please PM me.

So I guess one store didn't have 20 of them in stock?

Wow...talk about taking one for the team.

So I guess one store didn't have 20 of them in stock?

I have Carpel finger syndrome. :)

Unless it was the one that wouldn't ship, I've actually lost track of who I have called... :) so as I continued to call more I checked my recent called list to make sure I did not recall the same store. In any event the theory that there are loads of store sitting on stock is a pipe dream. Maybe one wit a bunch somewhere but not many.

I will also say that this box at its dimensions seems much harder to get to ship in mint ship

Very good yes, mint no.

I also chatted with Amazon today as someone had before. She tried to override and place me a backorder in the queue but it would not go through. She said check back in about 7 days to seem if available. Team Brickpicker needs to keep an eye out and let everyone know when it is live.

I called about 30 of the 78 Lego stores in NA today.  29 were out.  1 had stock but local pickup only.

I know I have a problem - but after reading of your efforts, I am thinking maybe not so much :)

If it is getting you more TH's, they are very well deserved. 

• Like 1

When I took the last one off the shelf at the Glendale CA store, the bottom flew open and all of the bags, instructions, and baseplates dumped all over the floor. They gave me a discount in the form of extra VIP points so I bought it anyway because the bags were all still sealed.

I called about 30 of the 78 Lego stores in NA today.  29 were out.  1 had stock but local pickup only.

Interesting. I know that my local Lego store had a decent amount in stock last Friday, but I'm not sure if they sold out over the weekend or not. If you are willing, can you list the stores that you called and make a notes if they had TH or not?

I was at a Lego Store today, the same Lego Store where I bought 2 on Friday, and not only were the two I had left on the shelf gone, but the spot was no longer there, disappearing into time and space.

Take it with a grain of salt, but the employee there (not the manager I usually chat with) said that it was retiring.  I said, "Before the Pet Shop?" and he said that the Pet Shop was retiring in January.

For double points, I prioritized Town Hall and Pet Shop because I wasn't sure either would be around when the next double points rolled around.

Town Hall was 1a for me because of the limit of 2 at SAH.  Pet Shop was 1b.  I have plenty of HH and T1.  I am not buying SC, AA, or Orthanc.  I would like to get 1 or 2 more WVM, but I don't like the set and I do think it will be around for a few more months.  My next priority is R2.

Now what do I do with 8 of those little elf sets.  Sell now or hold?

Edited by JDLego324
  • Like 1