10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Everytime I have tried to buy something from them when you add to the cart and checkout it vanishes since they don't really have it. I think they shows SSDs and FB in stock there still.

I believe it is a phishing site for affiliate links/redirects. There is a button on their somewhere which sends you to  stores to purchase it. I wouldn't bother.

In fairness you've said absolutely nothing until now

He did say that he thought this thread was going to get popular.  At the time, I took it to be a more reactionary statement to TH being on BO or SO at LEGO Shop at Home and selling fast at Walmart.  In hindsight, it may have been a bit prophetic...

• Like 1

This frenzy started well before Ed said anything.  Does he have some official inside information about the TH retiring - I don't know.  It doesn't really matter as he didn't post anything until it was sold out virtually everywhere yesterday.  Once it went to sold out on Shop at Home, the TRU and Walmart stock dried up very quickly at MSRP.  Most people were reacting based on the Shop at Home status which is an indicator for EOL.  

This is true.  

Even if you missed out on this set, there are still so many potential winners over the next 6-12 months.  Look at the sets that are nearing EOL: R2, T1, TB, AA, Orthanc, etc.  So many opportunities to buy sets with great returns.  

Some simple advice for everyone.  Keep an eye out for new TH stock and buy those up with whatever funds you can scrap together.  If nothing shows up, move on to the next set that you think is a winner.  Simple as that.  You have to move on.

Skate to where the puck is going to be.

• Like 4

Even if you missed out on this set, there are still so many potential winners over the next 6-12 months.  Look at the sets that are nearing EOL: R2, T1, TB, AA, Orthanc, etc.  So many opportunities to buy sets with great returns.  

Some simple advice for everyone.  Keep an eye out for new TH stock and buy those up with whatever funds you can scrap together.  If nothing shows up, move on to the next set that you think is a winner.  Simple as that.  You have to move on.

Skate to where the puck is going to be.

great advice!!!

Warning - Long post.

I don't know whether the set is retir(ing/ed) or not.  I do know that I don't have one and that's ok, this set was not on my immediate buy list - I am confident that I will find one for my own collection.

Every time a set retires or goes OOS, there is a mad dash to get the remaining scraps but everyone has had over 2 years to get at least one of this set, particularly those members who have been here that long.  Except for people interested in flipping, there is no reason to keep waiting to the last minute to pick up sets.

Create a Plan - Unless you have tens of thousands of dollars at your disposal, you can't have EVERY set. Instead of being the person missing a SSD, GE, HH, TH, Mars Rover and scrambling to get one - buy them early or earlier or don't worry about them.  Determine in advance what sets you are targeting as a build, as an flip/investment, or both.

It seems to me that a lot of people here are looking to be short term flippers and long term sellers and that's great, but if you can't do both extremely well, then perhaps you should excel at one and just dabble in the other - an example is that people have been selling RIs at a HUGE profit.  You could have flipped 10 of those into 3 Town Halls or 3.5 Haunted Houses and your investment would have been $200 + your time - a crazy deal - probably a lot better than turning it into 6 WVM

If you don't have the Pet Shop (among other sets) and you want some - then now is the time.  If you can't afford it AND you want one or some, then buy 6 $20 sets, sell them for 50 each and use that to buy yourself 2 Pet Shops.

My biggest mistake in my almost 1 year of accumulating Lego (Nov. 2013) was ignoring the Fire Brigade and picking up a Palace Cinema instead (It was my first major purchase after finding this site and I was in build mode and owned no modulars and no investments).  I had regrets at the time, but I realized that it wasn't meant to be and I need to pay more attention - if that is my only real mistake, then I think that I'm doing pretty well. I was looking through my living room yesterday and noticed that I have $5500 US in Lego sets proudly displayed - all obtained since I joined - at a final cost to me of $2240 (after selling off a handful of sets that came with them or in bulk lots).  These are all exclusives, except for the Black Pearl.

I have a plan that I have refined over the last 6 months and I am happy with my investments, and builds for my hobby.   Major thanks to DNIIM for sage advice, even if he doesn't know it.  If you are a newer member and you missed out, consider it a lesson learned and it didn't cost you a cent; people make a lot more expensive errors than that.

I await the next 2 years to see established members saying that they have no Tumblers, EEE, Parisian Restaurants, etc.

• Like 8

It is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma.

I absolutely have no idea what Ed meant by this. Paging trekgate502 .... :)

Why DR thank you. :)

For my pontification -

Short version:

Conundrum: a confusing and difficult problem or question.

Enigma: a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzling, or difficult to understand.

So Ed says it is a confusion and difficulty wrapped in something mysterious.

I.E.  The answers he gave are about as clear as it is going to get.

Long version:

Ed I believe is the Ultimate Ninja Master of Lego Society

His reach goes high, low, far, near and everywhere.

His warehouse of Lego's unopened not to ever be sold is larger than Indy's Raiders of the Lost Ark Warehouse in the end credits.

He has knowledge, motivation, means, and will to know all things Lego and has no rival (except for his brother Jeff).

He has connections.  Big connections, little connections. all sorts of connections.

He keeps his word and will not disclose what he specifically knows and who he knows it from.

He has those relationships because of his word.

Never the less he cannot tell you directly any information but his ability to say nothing which indicates something is unrivaled.

He does not post prophetic statements often.  Last time was the SSD.  This time was the Town Hall.

Look for the next mysterious posting on something like this next year as it does not come often.

Hence a conundrum in an enigma.

There can only be one highlander  (oh wait wrong subject).

There can only be one Ed Mack.

(the above is my opinion with some embellishment after being on here for the last year or two (however long its been).

That being said, I would really like to ask Ed one question, as I am not a newbie but not an old timer on this board either.

I know tons of sets retire all the time.  I know excel files are maintained by forum members that show what and when.

But has there ever been a time when the potential for so many major iconic sets to retire over a single 6-12 month period.

It is actually pretty shocking to me. Or is there precedence for this a few years back?

if guys don't mind sharing, I'm very curious who has been stocking up TH before yesterday to a notable number? I mean even emazers had less than 10 based what he posted yesterday. hats off to those who had their sixth sense working.

i have had 10 for a while. I planned on 20. We'll see what happens. I keep watching amazon and may add a few more. Not sure why people have been done on it. It is a great build, large in size, overall top notch. Price is higher but who cares. Lego co tinues to raise prices testing what the market will bear. Many sets are overpriced in my opinion.

Warning - Long post.

I don't know whether the set is retir(ing/ed) or not.  I do know that I don't have one and that's ok, this set was not on my immediate buy list - I am confident that I will find one for my own collection.

Every time a set retires or goes OOS, there is a mad dash to get the remaining scraps but everyone has had over 2 years to get at least one of this set, particularly those members who have been here that long.  Except for people interested in flipping, there is no reason to keep waiting to the last minute to pick up sets.

Create a Plan - Unless you have tens of thousands of dollars at your disposal, you can't have EVERY set. Instead of being the person missing a SSD, GE, HH, TH, Mars Rover and scrambling to get one - buy them early or earlier or don't worry about them.  Determine in advance what sets you are targeting as a build, as an flip/investment, or both.

It seems to me that a lot of people here are looking to be short term flippers and long term sellers and that's great, but if you can't do both extremely well, then perhaps you should excel at one and just dabble in the other - an example is that people have been selling RIs at a HUGE profit.  You could have flipped 10 of those into 3 Town Halls or 3.5 Haunted Houses and your investment would have been $200 + your time - a crazy deal - probably a lot better than turning it into 6 WVM

If you don't have the Pet Shop (among other sets) and you want some - then now is the time.  If you can't afford it AND you want one or some, then buy 6 $20 sets, sell them for 50 each and use that to buy yourself 2 Pet Shops.

My biggest mistake in my almost 1 year of accumulating Lego (Nov. 2013) was ignoring the Fire Brigade and picking up a Palace Cinema instead (It was my first major purchase after finding this site and I was in build mode and owned no modulars and no investments).  I had regrets at the time, but I realized that it wasn't meant to be and I need to pay more attention - if that is my only real mistake, then I think that I'm doing pretty well. I was looking through my living room yesterday and noticed that I have $5500 US in Lego sets proudly displayed - all obtained since I joined - at a final cost to me of $2240 (after selling off a handful of sets that came with them or in bulk lots).  These are all exclusives, except for the Black Pearl.

I have a plan that I have refined over the last 6 months and I am happy with my investments, and builds for my hobby.   Major thanks to DNIIM for sage advice, even if he doesn't know it.  If you are a newer member and you missed out, consider it a lesson learned and it didn't cost you a cent; people make a lot more expensive errors than that.

I await the next 2 years to see established members saying that they have no Tumblers, EEE, Parisian Restaurants, etc.

I don't have one myself (funds committed elsewhere and life gets in the way), but I am hoping to add one in a few months when the money situation is better (and if there are still more available).  I totally agree with redghostx, not everyone can buy every set.  I actually only bought my first modular (GE) last week, I was focusing more on other exclusives (although I didn't buy SSD lol).  I don't have 10-12 of each exclusive.  I do try to flip small/mediumish sets to fund my longer term holds (exclusives).  That being said, I'm not sad if I miss out on EOL sets, I just don't have the resources to get everything.

Basically what I am saying is to be happy/content with what you can afford/store, and use whatever method you're most comfortable with or good at to increase your inventory/set count. 

Edited by wilandirene